It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 70
<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

That's just it. Parenting has been taken out of the hands of parents and put into the hands of legislators. That is until it's time to blame someone for something a child does wrong....but back to the subject at hand....

After my ordeal at the school yesterday morning, I have lost any faith I had in my local school district to protect my children from this virus. Instead I am stressing to them how to protect themselves as best they can. My youngest is 13, so I am lucky that I don't have to worry about a small child.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well looks like it's that time of day again...

Did this yesterday also...just quit...almost everything...except the layoff notices in my inbox...

Edit: Also Eq reports...wall st news...a couple of fluffy faux news articles...Hmmm...

[edit on 5/1/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Nothing to see here....move along....

The swine flu virus that has frightened the world is beginning to look a little less ominous. New York City officials reported Friday that the swine flu still has not spread beyond a few schools. In Mexico, very few relatives of flu victims seem to have caught the virus.

One flu expert says there's no reason to believe the new virus is a more serious strain than seasonal flu. And a federal health official said the new flu virus doesn't appear to have genes that made the 1918 pandemic flu strain so deadly.

Swine Flu starting to look less threatening

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Three more flu cases confirmed in S.D. County
www3.signonsandiego.com...

EmilyJacob26: reading about swine flu outbreak in sc,,told my little sister not to go back to school for a week or so she goes in newberry''
less than 20 seconds ago from web

cjward65: swine flu in kenosha wisconsin?
less than 10 seconds ago from web

omgitssuperabby: ahhh! Jimmy has the swine flu...they closed so many skools near us...praying for my bestfriends/me/and family not to get it

TonyMak: Cruise ships parked at Pier 23, 31 as can be seen from my window; More destined for #swineflu Mexico to park in SF - local report @calj1997
2 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Do you ever sleep ? You are like a machine on amphetamines with all the updates, I'm raising my glass of martini to you right now

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Typical Borg...Liquid Caffeine is preferred...

2 Chandler schools close because of swine flu
www.azcentral.com...

Massachusetts: Four additional cases of influenza A (H1N1) confirmed bringing state total to six. #swineflu1 minute ago from web

Swine flu causing sweating and nausea in Washington, D.C.

www.hpj.com...

Carnival extends ban on stops in Mexico
www3.signonsandiego.com...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Massachusetts: Four additional cases of influenza A (H1N1) confirmed bringing state total to six.

AP: Indiana's attorney general warns of telephone scam offering the sale of "mandatory CDC swine flu kits."
4 minutes ago from web

I knew the scammers would come out to play soon!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
8 Ways to Track the Swine Flu with Google Maps
www.googletutor.com...

reginacorbin: That's how backwards WI is, the rest of the world is almost over the #swineflu and we are just now getting into the hysteria.
half a minute ago from Twidget

chrislammert: Driving by a Walgreens today the marquee out front: "We have tamiflu and hand sanitizer" #swineflu
less than 20 seconds ago from DestroyTwitter

Springbaby31: Just sneezed twice on the train (seasonal allergies) and fellow passengers looked at me like I was Typhoid Mary #swineflu
less than 10 seconds ago from Tweetie

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

As I thought...

Live hog futures fell six dollars in the first two days!

www.hpj.com...

Flu Oddities, complete with conpiracy thoughts!

www.legitgov.org...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

RT @katesheridan: @mpoppel Michigan Dept. of Community Health now reports 16 probable swine flu cases
www.michigan.gov...

New Hampshire: Grafton County health officials announce 4th probable case of influenza A (H1N1) in the state.#swineflu #H1N11 minute ago from web

Suspected swine flu cases in Lane County
www.registerguard.com...

MClipner: wonders if the false swine flu hysteria may be used by The Powers That Be to discourage or ban July 4 #teaparty assemblies? #wistea

Jkretch: @MelodyMcC I sneezed in line at lunch today, the 3 women standing around me all put their hands over their mouths. #SwineFlu
less than a minute ago from TweetDeck

twps: I've heard that Swine Flu has hit Oneonta, NY. #swineflu
less than 10 seconds ago from TweetDeck

Ventura man is third swine flu case in county
www.venturacountystar.com...

acrylickk: #swineflu My School Has A Confirmed Case Of Swine Flu. No School For 3 Days Next Week.
less than a minute ago from web

Maryland: Laurel elementary school to close for two weeks after a probable case is identified. #swineflu #H1N12 minutes ago from web

schatze311: Wondering if this mix of swine and avian flu should be called the "When Pigs Fly Flu"
less than 20 seconds ago from web

terry_levine: #swineflu has now been renamed: Hamthrax. LOLOL
less than 20 seconds ago from TwitterFox

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Here is a side of this I had not thought about. I knew that people would go to work, regardless of sickness. I'm sure my husband would, as we are a one income family. But, it never snapped to me that the ones most likely to work through the flu are the ones that should stay home the most. Maybe there will be some good legisilation come from this mess.

The prospect of workers showing up with swine flu — or sick kids infecting their schoolmates — is bringing added urgency to efforts to pass a federal law guaranteeing paid sick leave.
Making matters even worse: Those least likely to have sick leave are low-income workers, particularly in fields like food services, child care and the hotel industry — in other words, the people you most want to be staying home if they're sick. "The public health implications of this are huge," Ness said.
A study on sick leave found that 68 percent of those without paid sick days had gone to work with a contagious illness like the flu or a viral infection. And one of six workers reported that they or a family member had been fired, suspended, punished or threatened with firing after taking time off to care for themselves or a family member, according to the 2008 study by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center

Many workers can't stay home

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Ill teen 'looked like she was run over by a truck,' dad says
sidebar.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- More than 100 students at St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens, New York, have fallen ill recently. Some have tested positive for swine flu, health authorities say.

At least 50 people in the United States have contracted the virus, officials say. Some of those who tested positive at the New York high school recently went to Cancun, Mexico, for spring break.

By Tuesday, the number of deaths believed attributable to swine flu climbed to as many as 152 -- all of them in Mexico. (Twenty-six cases, including seven deaths, have been confirmed in the country.
More at Link...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Wow. Speaking from experience here....it takes one heck of an illness to make a 16 year old not move. I've had mine in the hospital with suspected menengitis (thank goodness they were wrong) and he was still playing video games!!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

I was thinking. Someone should get their hands on a list of the parents that have children at your school and call them and attempt to get them to agree to keep them home.

If everyone does it - well... then who is in control?

Also point taken re: staying home from work. I went this week - but only a little.
The fact that we do not have control over our own lives - and feel free and independent enough to make decisions based on common sense rather than what "someone else" tells us to do - is very telling. We need to be our own leaders. This is the real change that needs to take place.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
From my county's web site...we have our first suspected case. Liberty county is several rural towns. We actually travel to another county for any medical emergency when possible.

A probable case of H1N1 Influenza, better known as Swine Flu, has been identified in Liberty County. Further testing is being done at the state level.

i-dineout.com

That is a good idea, but we just moved here and I don't know any other parents yet. I may talk to the kids and see if they could introduce me to some. Funny how they meet people so much faster than I or my husband!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Ill teen 'looked like she was run over by a truck,' dad says
sidebar.cnn.com...

Star for You!

There is also a very good indication that this flu is a bit different.
That girl had not been to Mexico, though she caught it from someone that had.

News media showed its capability to cover a breaking story but gave few details that clarified the origin, risk and action that should be taken. Personal media, such as Twitter and blogs, put out huge numbers of rumors and unsubstantiated claims. Some groups used the forum to expand their agenda through newslike stories and conclusions.

ATS all the way!

www.hpj.com...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What?!

Panama, Panama City: United States National Detained after “Escaping” from Hospital; Influenza A (H1N1) Testing Underway
9 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Well another very odd thing happened too. For the 1st time in days I took a break from the news and watched a DVD. The phone rang at some point and as is usually the case when watching a DVD we chose to ignore it as if it was important they'd leave a message. I checked 1471 (UK service to tell you what number last called you) just now and get this - apparantly MY OWN TELEPHONE NUMBER RANG ME at 21-21 -00 hours ??? I checked 4 times and yep, apparantly MY phone number rang MY phone ? Well I've never in all my years heard of this happening and it's odd. I'd asked my Dad earlier for another sign if he could get through so I could confirm that he wanted me to know what I was assuming he wanted me to know (ie that lady was right with her idea about the virus moving in waves with a far deadlier one to come later on)....is it just a coincidence my OWN number rang me at 21-21 hours ?!

Apologies again, this isn't really the right thread for talking about this kind of stuff but don't you think this is WEIRD ? A device turns itself on all by itself and my own phone number rings me ?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Much better now after my exo-skeleton sonic-shower...

SCENARIOS: What the new swine flu might do
www.reuters.com...

Continental, United cut Mexico flights on flu fears
www.reuters.com...

South Korea, Gyeonggi: First Influenza A (H1N1) Case Confirmed in 51-Year-Old Nun #swineflu1 minute ago from web

South Korea has confirmed its first case of H1N1 flu, according to Yonhap.3 minutes ago from web

US, New York: Lewis County: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Tested at CDC #swinefluless than a minute ago from web

US, California: Salinas: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified #swineflu2 minutes ago from web

Russia, Moscow: Influenza A (H1N1) Ruled Out In Two Hospitalized Females Who Had Recently Returned From New York. #swineflu #H1N13 minutes ago from web

Swine flu closes 1 Phoenix, 2 Chandler schools
www.azfamily.com...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Sorry for being so cynical, but.....it begins

WASHINGTON, May 1 (Reuters) - A Democratic U.S. senator proposed on Friday setting up a free nationwide voluntary flu vaccination program to fend off future outbreaks of dangerous strains.
"Strictly as a matter of prudent prevention, it is desirable to maximize the number of Americans who are vaccinated each year," Harkin said. President Barack Obama has requested $1.5 billion from Congress to address the ongoing swine flu outbreak.
"By offering annual free vaccines to all 304 million people in the United States, our vaccine-production capacity will be up and running and ready to shift, when necessary, to mass production of vaccines to fight a future outbreak or pandemic," Harkin's statement said.

Don't be afraid. Your government will protect you.

Reuters

top topics

<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join