It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela confirmed the first death from H1N1 influenza, which has infected 281 people in the country.
Health Minister Jesús Mantilla, said Saturday night that a girl of 11 months of age was the first fatal victim in the country for a pandemic that has spread rapidly throughout the world.
He said that the girl had a diagnosis of acute diarrhea, moderate dehydration, sensory disorder and common cold, according to state news agency.
The official said that of the total infected in the nation, 236 people are already recovered, while 45 are still sick.
The World Health Organization had recorded about 430 deaths from the pandemic until early July.
Hong Kong - Hong Kong reported second critical H1N1 case besides 78 newly confirmed ones on Wednesday, but experts predict low impact on the economy despite people's worries.
A 48-year-old woman, who came down with flu symptoms on July 9, went to the hospital Wednesday after she became more ill, suffering a fever, cough and shortness of breathes. She required ventilator support after admission to Queen Elizabeth Hospital and is now in critical condition.
Another 34-year-old man is also in serious condition at Tuen Mun Hospital. He was admitted to an isolation ward on July 11 after coming down with fever and flu symptoms two days earlier. He is being treated with Tamiflu and antibiotics.
There were 78 newly confirmed cases of swine flu in Hong Kong on Wednesday, involving 38 men and 40 women aged from five months to 58 years. This brings Hong Kong's total tally to 1,467.
Ministers were tonight struggling to keep control over swine flu warnings after pregnant women were given conflicting advice by various health organisations.
The Department of Health distanced itself from advice warning against peak-time travel by expectant mothers on public transport while ministers condemned as an “overreaction” a suggestion women should delay conception.
One Whitehall official described the public transport advice from the Royal College of Midwives as extreme and acknowledged the confusion created by the differing messages was “not ideal”.
Alan Johnson, the former health secretary, described the National Childbirth Trust ’s advice for women to delay pregnancy until the pandemic had passed as an “overreaction”.
WALLACE: Now, nearly everyone was to receive a shot in a public health facility where a doctor might not be present, therefore it was up to the CDC to come up with some kind of official consent form giving the public all the information it needed about the swine flu shot. This form stated that the swine flu vaccine had been tested. What it didn't say was that after those tests were completed, the scientists developed another vaccine and that it was the one given to most of the 46 million who took the shot. That vaccine was called "X-53a". Was X-53a ever field tested?
DR SENCER: I-I can't say. I would have to -
WALLACE: It wasn't
DR SENCER: I don't know
WALLACE: Well, I would think that you're in charge of the program
DR SENCER: 1 would have to check the records. I haven't looked at this in some time.
WALLACE: The information form the consent form was also supposed to warn people about any risk of serious complications following the shot. But did it?
ROBERTS: No, I had never heard of any reactions other than a sore arm, fever, this sort of thing.
WALLACE: Judy Roberts' husband, Gene, also took the shot.
GENE ROBERTS: Yes, I looked at that document, I signed it. Nothing on there said I was going to have a heart attack, or I can get Guillain Barre, which I'd never heard of.
WALLACE: What if people from the government, from the Center for Disease Control, what if they had indeed, known about it, what would be your feeling?
JUDY ROBERTS: They should have told us.
WALLACE: Did anyone ever come to you and say, "You know something, fellows, there's the possibility of neurological damage if you get into a mass immunization program?"
DR SENCER: No
WALLACE: No one ever did?
DR SENCER: No
It has come to our attention that there has been a second H1N1-related fatality in Brunei. The victim succumbed on 15th July 2009 and was a diabetic with renal problems. This information was confirmed by reliable sources within the MOH including several medical officers. Unfortunately, MOH has decided NOT to inform the public of this latest fatality.
But I only hope this unconfirmed report is not ture. Although a viable reason for this silence was not given, it is assumed that the apparent silence of MOH is due to the fear of the Ministry of being seen as a failure. What with our country's global ranking as no.1 for growth of cases per population in which the number of confirmed cases has risen to over 300 within one month, this fear is not unfounded. However, it needs to be pointed out that even the most developed countries where medical technology and service are far more advanced than ours, the health organizations / bodies are also grappling with the H1N1 cases.
So, this fear of being seen as a 'failure' should NOT be factored in the Ministry's decision-making. Furthermore, hiding things from the public by only reporting what they deem as 'appropriate' will not quell this fear. Rather, when the truth seeps out, which is very likely in a small community as ours, the public will start to question the priorities of our health authorities. Contrary to the report published on July 12th that the Ministry's policy is "to take care of everyone", the public has been seriously let down and ill-served by the secrecy shrouding the second fatality. Please be transparent.
The public needs to know. The public DESERVES to know. And the public NEEDS to be educated. Is the Ministry aware of the fact that ever since its decision to no longer issue press release of the no. of confirmed cases, certain members of the public have misconstrued this as an indication of a regression in the spread of H1N1? That they now think they no longer need to practice caution?
Statements of ignorance and complacency such as "inda payah lagi makai mask sebab mana lagi teruk kesnya" have been heard. What is more important, saving face or saving lives?
QUITO (AFP)--The number of people killed by swine flu in Ecuador rose to seven on Sunday after health authorities confirmed two new fatalities due to the A( H1N1) virus.
A statement from the Ecuadorian presidency said the victims were a 24-year-old woman from the southern town of Loja, near the border with Peru, and a 21-year- old man from the southern town of Cuenca.
The number of people infected with swine flu in Ecuador has now risen to 307 since the virus was first detected in the country on May 15.
Out of the 31 EU and EFTA countries, 30 countries have reported a total of 16,095 confirmed cases, including 33 deaths. In the past 24 hours, 36 new cases (no fatal case) were reported from the EU and EFTA countries. Outside of the EU and EFTA countries, a total of 764 new cases have been reported within the last 24 hours, including 14 deaths. Venezuela reported its first fatality. Globally, the total number of confirmed and reported influenza A(H1N1)v cases to date is 137,232 and 779 deaths.
US20090060950A1 to Baxter International filed 28th August 2008
See Baxter Vaccine Patent Application US 2009/0060950 A1
Baxter are nothing if not prepared for this ’swine flu’ outbreak if the wording in this 2008 US patent application is anything to go by:
US 2009/0060950 A1
“In particular preferred embodiments the composition or
vaccine comprises more than one antigen…..such as
influenza A and influenza B in particular selected from of one
or more of the human H1N1, H2N2, H3N2, H5N1, H7N7, H1N2,
H9N2, H7N2, H7N3, H10N7 subtypes, of the pig flu H1N1,
H1N2, H3N1 and H3N2 subtypes, of the dog or horse flu H7N7,
H3N8 subtypes or of the avian H5N1, H7N2, H1N7, H7N3,
H13N6, H5N9, H11N6, H3N8, H9N2, H5N2, H4N8, H10N7, H2N2,
H8N4, H14N5, H6N5, H12N5 subtypes.”
“Suitable adjuvants can be selected from mineral gels,
aluminium hydroxide, surface active substances, lysolecithin,
pluronic polyols, polyanions or oil emulsions such as water in
oil or oil in water, or a combination thereof. Of course the
selection of the adjuvant depends on the intended use.
E.g. toxicity may depend on the destined subject organism
and can vary from no toxicity to high toxicity.”
“Three different influenza strains, two A-strains Hiroshima
(HR, H3N2), a New Calcdonia (NC, H1N1) and a B-strain,
Malaysia (MA), were produced in Vero cell cultures. After
virus propagation the infectious virus harvest is inactivated
prior to purification….”
I’m feeling so much better now that I know we have such competent pharmaceutical companies, well prepared for viral outbreaks at least a year ahead of time.
((AP) — SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Authorities in Puerto Rico are reporting three more swine flu deaths, raising the U.S. territory's total of confirmed fatal cases to six.
Interim Health Secretary Concepcion Quinones says laboratory tests are being conducted on 17 additional deaths that are suspected of being related to swine flu.
Quinones said Sunday the number of confirmed swine flu illnesses remains at 52, but she raised the number of suspected cases from 496 to 656 for the territory of 4 million people.
Officials did not provide details about the new deaths.
* Baxter has orders from 5 countries for 80 mln doses
* Will allocate portion of production for WHO use
* Other vaccine makers still taking orders (Adds Sanofi, Glaxo, Novartis, MedImmune comment)
A trial of a swine flu vaccine is starting at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
Half of 240 adults taking part in the trial will get a double-dose of the vaccine, as the maker works out the optimum dosage.
Dr Rachel David, speaking for the vaccine developer CSL, says 400 children will also be involved in the vaccine trial.
"We're talking about kids aged between six months and nine years and it involves two injections and two blood tests, so four needles to monitor the results," she said.
"I think that is a big commitment for families but in spite of that we've had a number of people come forward because they're interested in not getting the flu."
DEATHS from swine flu in Ireland are inevitable as the disease begins to sweep the country, the Health Service Executive has warned.
The health authority believes it is now only a matter of time before someone in Ireland dies from H1N1 because of the way the disease has spread throughout Britain.
More than 150 people in Ireland have been affected by the virus, which appears to target younger people.
New HSE swine flu figures show that just 3% of cases related to people over the age of 65.
One in 10 cases occurred in children aged up to four years, while three out of 10 cases affect five to 19-year-olds.
The figures also show that 43% of cases are people between 20 and 44, with 14% aged between 45 and 65.
HSE head of population health Dr Pat Doorley said the figures suggest that older people have more resistance to the virus after being exposed to other flu viruses in the past.
But he believes it is almost certain there will be some deaths here from swine flu.
"Looking at the pattern in the UK, it is clear we are going to have more cases and that the doubling time for those cases will shorten and, inevitably, there will be some deaths," he said.
Read more: www.irishexaminer.com...