It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Maybe there is a genetic link after all???

Hmmm

# WHO spokeswoman confirms to me the meeting will be at 4 pm Geneva time5 minutes ago from web

Reviews person for swine influenza in Haugesund

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Columbia (google H1N1 map)

eight adults and one child came less than seven days in Mexico where the virus was detected and its arrival in Colombia showed symptoms of influenza or respiratory illness.

Spain (google H1N1 map)

22 casos de posible contagio en Cataluña (10), Andalucía (3), Baleares (2), Castilla y León (1), Madrid (1), Bilbao (1), Valencia (1), Teruel (1), Murcia (1) y Navarra (1)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
via veratect Denmark: Suspected swine influenza case in isolation at Aalborg Hospital.

# IFRC's health department head in Geneva says swine flu has the potential to develop into a "severe, potentially life-threatening pandemic."22 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

# Secretary General Geleta of the IFRC says the situation is of "immediate and serious concern"; says it is working with governments.23 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

# A 31-year-old woman from eastern Veneto in Italy is hospitalized with suspected swine flu, RAI News24 reports.2 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Quick question for some one with a medical background perhaps.

Could a microwave oven be used to sterilize a used N-95 face mask, thus extending its useful life?

I know that for some time it has been suggested that we "nuke" the sponges we use for washing dishes for 2-3 minutes every month or so to kill the bactetia that is likely to breed on them.

And I know that the flu, including this scarey new strain, is a a Virus, not a bacteria.

My question is whether or not viruses are susceptible to sterilization by microwave "autoclaving".

If this outbreak turns into a full-blown pandemic, I see disposable face masks quickly becoming as rare as hen's teeth; which could lead to hording and all the dangers that entails.

If a simple and effective means of extending the life of the available mask supply could be found, utilizing means already at most folks' disposal (I'm sure many, if not most, folks have, or have access to, microwave ovens nowadays) it could go a long way toward resolving this crisis.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
62 year old Canadian is in hospital, in the UK, being tested for Swine flu.

She is been taken to a hospital in Manchester.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Here's what I want to know. What is the ethnic breakdown of those confirmed fatalities and infections in Mexico and around the globe. It seems that it is much more serious for those of Latino heritage.

cdi

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

you are quite correct with your assumption on concern. the majority of the population have no clue about this (being too busy running a family and paying the bills) and deep down most are probably scared and do not want to know. until it touches base i feel most will ignore this situation. i hope this thing fizzles out but i am not holding my breath on that one.
a possible outcome to look for would be say, 20 days time hospitals start receiving surge admissions. local a&e's are strained and the government implements containment areas. i myself will avoid any early stage vaccines on the basis that the general consensus is they are ineffective, conrary to media and government statements. it is a personal choice borne through being close to death on many occasions. earlier on it was implied on the media (EU) statement that it was unlikley that the virus was passed from pig to human! another confidence exercise to allay the panic i suspect. furthermore another news source implied that tamiflu/anti-virals have been effective in Mexico (hot zone 1).

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

NO!!!! Most of the N-95 or N-100 masks have metal in them (to form fit to nose) NEVER MICROWAVE METAL.

A UV light can be used to decontaminate them but it has to be of a UV-C grade to be effective

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The emergency meeting scheduled by the WHO for tomorrow is now being held today instead folks ...they obviously don't feel there is any time to waste.

twitter updates

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Death, Fear Surround Swine Flu Outbreak
World Races To Contain Outbreak
www.wgal.com...

WASHINGTON -- Governments are racing to find and contain pockets of swine flu around the globe, seeking to stem both the threat of a pandemic and public panic.

"We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size or seriousness of this outbreak is going to be," U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Sunday.

In Mexico, the outbreak's epicenter, soldiers handed out 6 million face masks to help stop the spread of the novel virus that is suspected in up to 103 deaths. Most other countries are reporting only mild cases so far, with most of the sick already recovering. Cases have been confirmed in Canada -- six -- and the U.S. -- 20 -- and other countries from Spain to New Zealand were investigating whether other people with flu-like symptoms really have this new swine flu or something else.

# Michigan Department of Community Health says it is investigating a probable case of swine flu in Livingston County.4 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

# A 31-year-old woman from eastern Veneto in Italy is hospitalized with suspected swine flu, RAI News24 reports.21 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

# U.K. health officials are investigating a suspected case of swine flu in Sale, Sky News has learned.2 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
From the Scottish Health Secretary,

The Scottish Government had been due to start a pandemic flu exercise on Monday which Ms Sturgeon said was a "coincidence". The exercise has since been suspended.

bbc.co.uk

Where have we heard that before?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ivycutler

Well, it should be named the NWO Flu, just so we can remember who is responsible for unleashing it on humanity.

It's sickening to know that this was all a planned pandemic by some group of villains.

This world needs to purge them.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
About damm time!

U.S. Begins Border Screening For Swine Flu
Government Responds To Outbreak; Schools In 4 States Close Where Students Had Confirmed Cases
www.cbsnews.com...

(CBS/AP) The White House says "don?t panic," yet the race is on to contain an outbreak of swine flu that has proven to be deadly in Mexico where there are now more than 100 deaths, with more than 1,600 suspected cases.

The United States launched border screening for swine flu exposure Monday morning. U.S. border officials will be asking travelers about fever and illness, looking for signs of people who are ill.

The swine flu has spread at least seven other countries, including Spain, the first confirmed case outside of North America. Spain's Health Ministry said the patient is a young man who had recently returned from Mexico where he had been as part of his university studies.

Swine flu: 'inevitable flu pandemic' would be fourth in a century
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Pandemics are characterised both by the number of people affected and by the fact that apparently young and healthy people tend to be affected as severely as elderly people and more vulnerable groups. The word pandemic comes from the Greek "pan", all, and "demos", meaning people.

When a pandemic does emerge, it may occur in more than one wave, several months apart, according to Chief Medical Officer Dr Liam Donaldson.

In recent years other potential pandemics, such as avian flu and Sars, have been identified as possible future public health emergencies, and closely monitored by health experts.

# Mexico: Guanajuato State Secretary of Health announces two fatal, suspected swine influenza cases from San Felipe and Dolores Hidalgo2 minutes ago from web

# Portugal: Portuguese Association of Travel and Tourism Agencies report trip cancellations to Mexico City and Cancun.2 minutes ago from web

# Italy: One suspected case of swine influenza in a female from Venice, who recently traveled to San Diego, California.11 minutes ago from web

# Israel: Ministry of Health announces second suspected swine influenza case.14 minutes ago from web

# US: Michigan probable swine influenza case recently traveled to Texas and Mexico.22 minutes ago from web

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
# BULLETIN -- US STATE DEPARTMENT TO ISSUE TRAVEL WARNING FOR MEXICO.less than a minute ago from BNO Headquarters

Suspected Swine Flu Case In Manchester
skyn ews

A Canadian woman has been admitted to hospital as a precaution, according to a statement from NHS North West.

Sky's North of England correspondent Mike McCarthy said: "The statement says an overseas visitor to Sale is being tested for possible swine flu and has been taken to hospital for tests.

"The hospital, in Manchester, is not being identified."

The woman is believed to have been visiting friends in Sale. It is not known if she visited Mexico recently.

It comes after two people were admitted to hospital in Scotland to undergo tests.

# Switzerland: Five suspected swine influenza cases reported.1 minute ago from web

# Norway: Patient at Haugesund Hospital in Rogaland undergoing testing for swine influenza.2 minutes ago from web

# Netherlands: Unspecified number of suspected swine influenza cases reported.2 minutes ago from web

# New Zealand: West Coast District Health Board places for passengers on flight with Rangitoto students under quarantine.less than 20 seconds ago from web

Up to 10 people tested for swine flu in East Midlands
www.thisisnottingham.co.uk...

AS many as 10 people in the East Midlands are being tested for swine flu as fears rise about the global spread of the disease.

They have had swabs taken for analysis and have been told to stay at home by the region's Health Protection Agency.

The number of people being tested can change quickly during the day and officials say cases are being constantly followed-up.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmm!
Its spreading itself all over the world....everyone is gonna die!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm starting to feel really stressed out with all this , it's right at the forefront our discussions and plans here at home and just impossible to put out of ones mind. I can't believe how fast it's all moving and now there is talk of UK infections emerging, it's quite scary to be honest that we really and truly might be facing something awful , last time I felt this freaked was after my Dad died and I can't seem to stop reading the news

"@bulletwire we expect news on the pandemic alert phase. They may declare a pandemic or an heightened alert."
half a minute ago from web

[edit on 27/4/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

You are probably freaking yourself out more by reading about it all the time. Take a break from reading about it for a bit and maybe come back later.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

yeah, you are right. Alot of news in a short space of time the past few days. I'm off to cook some BBQ bean stew, may as well practice the survival food recipes

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I watched all the news over the weekend, and I am going to be cautious but don't see the need to panic. I know lots of people who have never taken a flu shot and never had the flu. It doesn't sound like this swine flu is as bad as many flu strains we had in the past. I had the real flu about 10 years ago and was sick as a dog for a solid month. The people with this flu seem to be recovering with only mild symptoms. I don't think "this is it" --- not at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
*Update*

More than 100 suspected swine flu cases at Queens school
www.newsday.com...

More than 100 students at a Queens parochial school are suspected of being infected by the potentially lethal swine flu, with eight of those cases confirmed, health officials say.

The school, St. Francis Prep in Fresh Meadows, announced it will be closed Monday and Tuesday "because of the number of students with flu-like symptoms," according to the school's Web site.

While the swine flu is suspected in the deaths of at least 103 people in Mexico, health officials say of the 20 confirmed cases in the United States all those sickened have recovered or are in the process of recovering.
More at Link...

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join