It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
KINGSTON — A Saugerties man who tested positive for swine flu died Wednesday night, according to the Ulster County Executive’s Office.
The man, who was not identified by officials, had been hospitalized with underlying medical conditions, in addition to a confirmed case of H1N1 virus or swine flu. Officials stressed that the man had several conditions, including swine flu, that likely interacted leading to his death.
“There were multiple underlying health conditions going on,” said Vincent C. Martello, assistant deputy county executive/communications, “...all of which contributed to the individual’s death.”
This is the ninth confirmed case of swine flu in Ulster County and the first death associated with the virus. Martello said all of the other cases have been mild and the individuals have since recovered.
A young Nunavut woman died Wednesday from swine flu, marking the territory's first death from the H1N1 influenza virus.
Nunavut chief medical officer Isaac Sobol confirmed the death on Thursday.
Sobol said the young woman was medevaced from a community in the territory's Kivalliq region on June 29, after she was deemed to be a high-risk patient.
The woman had been in critical condition for several weeks before she died Wednesday, Sobol said.
BRASILIA - BRAZIL on Thursday nearly tripled its number of deaths from swine flu to 11, including the person shown to have caught the virus spontaneously within the country.
The increased tally given by Health Minister Jose Gomes added seven to the four fatalities previously given.
'Of the seven, at least four had pre-existing illnesses' that left them vulnerable to the A(H1N1) virus, he told a news conference.
The confirmed case of spontaneous transmission to one of the cases who had not travelled or been in contact with travellers to flu-hit countries gave 'first proof that the virus is circulating within the country'.
That meant that Brazil had become the eighth country to become classed as having sustainable transmission of the flu, along with the United States, Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Australia and Britain. -- AFP
Two more deaths associated with the swine flu pandemic have occurred in the San Diego area, bringing the total number of local fatal cases to nine, according to the county Health and Human Services Agency.
Jul 16, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – Citing the questionable usefulness of reporting pandemic H1N1 case counts and the burden it puts on countries experiencing widespread transmission, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced today it will no longer issue regular reports of confirmed global case totals.
The WHO has issued 58 such reports since the start of the novel H1N1 outbreak, the last one on Jul 6.
In a statement today, the WHO said countries with sustained community transmission are having an extremely difficult time confirming cases through laboratory testing. In addition, counting individual cases isn't essential for monitoring the level or nature of risk posed by the virus or implementing response measures.
Detecting and confirming all possible cases is highly resource-intensive, the WHO said. "In some countries, this strategy is absorbing most national laboratory and resource capacity, leaving little capacity for the monitoring and investigation of severe cases and other exceptional events."
For these reasons, the WHO said it will no longer issue reports of confirmed cases. However, it said it will provide regular updates on the spread of pandemic flu in newly affected countries.
The focus of surveillance activities in countries where the virus is already established will shift to existing systems for monitoring seasonal flu, the WHO said. Countries are no longer required to submit regular reports of individual confirmed cases and deaths to the WHO.
Monitoring for unusual events such as clusters of severe or fatal cases or changes in clinical patterns is important and should continue, the agency said. It added that countries should maintain vigilance for changes in transmission patterns, such as rising rates of school or work absenteeism, and also surges in emergency department visits, which could foreshadow increasing numbers of severe cases.
Keeping close track of changes in the pandemic virus is also essential for case management and vaccine development, the WHO said. It recommends that even countries with limited lab capacity to follow up initial viological assessment by testing at least 10 samples a week.
Argentina's A/H1N1 flu death toll rose on Thursday to 155 after health authorities confirmed the death of a 31-year-old male patient in Cordoba province, some 700 km west of Buenos Aires, Xinhua reported.
Cordoba's Health Director Oscar Gonzalez said that the patient was hospitalized with flu symptoms on June 11 in the provincial capital. Then his situation went worse.
The patients received respiratory assistance, and tested positive for A/H1N1 flu on July 13, said Gonzalez, adding that the victim did not suffer from other major diseases.
The latest death was the third from the flu in Cordoba, while the disease has so far killed 51 people in Santa Fe province. Another 101 deaths were reported in the provinces of Buenos Aires, Chubut, Santa Cruz, Misiones, San Juan and the national capital.
Since last Friday, Argentina has had the world's second most deaths from the new deadly flu, only after the United States where 211 deaths have been reported
TEN people are dead from swine flu in NSW - including a nine-year-old boy - after the toll doubled overnight. Yesterday Australia's peak obstetrics organisation told pregnant women to wear masks in public and stay at home if possible.
The five dead, including two men aged 29 and 78, and two women, aged 55 and 71, were all from Sydney, but only four had underlying medical conditions.
Their deaths come as the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists urged pregnant women to wear masks in public and "wash themselves scrupulously" after coming into contact with others.
The college's president, Ted Weaver, said pregnant women did not have to "go into lockdown" but should work from home if possible. "Be alert, but not alarmed - if it's not essential to go out, stay home," Dr Weaver said.
Six pregnant women, in their second and third trimesters, are fighting for their lives in intensive care units across western Sydney, but so far none have gone into premature labour.
"Delivery as a treatment is not our preferred option," said Brian Trudinger, the head of obstetrics at Westmead Hospital.
He urged pregnant women to take antiviral drugs if prescribed. "The usual message in pregnancy is not to take anything, but for goodness sake, take the treatment. It is more benefit than harm."
Thirty-six people are in intensive care in NSW and five are being treated using cardiac bypass machines.
New machines had been ordered from overseas in anticipation of a worsening of the situation, said the vice-president of the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society, Michael O'Leary.
KINGSTON, N.Y. (AP) - The Ulster County Health Department says the county has recorded its first swine flu fatality.
County Executive Mike Hein said in a prepared statement that the patient was a man from Saugerties who had been hospitalized for multiple other medical conditions. He died Wednesday night.
The death was the ninth confirmed case of swine flu in Ulster County.
The state Health Department says the state had 2,253 confirmed cases of swine flu as of July 3, the most recent state figures available. More than half of those were in New York City.