It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
LIMA, July 15 (Xinhua) -- The A/H1N1 influenza death toll in Peru rose to seven on Wednesday after two more deaths were confirmed, sources from the Health Ministry said.
The deaths were a 36-year-old male patient who had hypertension and a 21-year-old female with 30 weeks of pregnancy. Both patients had been categorized as having higher risk of being infected by the flu.
According to the ministry, 144 new cases have been confirmed in the country, including 89 in Lima, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 2,226
SAN JOSE, July 15 (Xinhua) -- Costa Rica has confirmed the eighth death of A/H1N1 influenza in the country, Health Minister Maria Luisa Avila said on Wednesday.
"The patient was a 20-year-old male sufferring from congenital defects and a limited thorax that made him difficult to breathe once affected by the (A/H1N1) virus. He also was fed with a catheter," Avila said.
Of the 428 confirmed cases in the country at present, 85 are hospitalized and 65 are quarantined.
Avila said Costa Rica is at the highest peak of the pandemic, and the government has decided to extend summer vacations to prevent further infections among patients below 19.
So far Cost Rica has reported the largest number of A/H1N1-related deaths in Central America.
The National Biodefense Science Board (NBSB) will hold a public teleconference on July 17, 2009 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. EDT. The purpose of this teleconference is for the Board to learn about and comment on the findings from the June 18-19, 2009 H1N1 Countermeasures Strategy and Decision Making Forum hosted by the Pandemic Influenza Working Group of the National Biodefense Science Board.
Will be posted when available.
July 17, 2009
12:00 P.M.–2:00 P.M. EDT
Federal Register Notice
Will be posted when available
Meetings of the NBSB are open to the public and attendance is welcome. Members of the public may listen to the deliberations of the NBSB by calling 1-866-395-4129, referencing the conference ID “ASPR,” and then following the directions of the operator. Members of the public participating by telephone will have an opportunity to provide comment during the meeting. Participants should call in 15 minutes prior to the call and will be asked to provide their name, title, and organization.
Infectious diseases killed 1,189 people on the Chinese mainland last month, 174 more than in May, the Health Ministry said Wednesday.
In June, about 381,000 cases of class B infectious diseases were reported, claiming 1,139 lives.
Tuberculosis, hepatitis B, dysentery, syphilis and gonorrhea were the top five killers, causing almost 93.64 percent of deaths from class B diseases.
Of the 316,093 cases of class C infectious diseases recorded, 50 were fatal. About 92.91 percent of the deaths were from hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD), types of infectious diarrhea and mumps.
LONDON -- New calculations from the U.K.'s Department of Health suggest that, in the worst-case scenario, 63,000 people in the country could die after contracting the A/H1N1 swine flu virus in the first wave of the pandemic.
Officials said Thursday that 29 people had died thus far.
Full text of the U.K. Department of Health on swine flu
.However, a DoH report said a "reasonable worst case scenario" was for some 30% of the population to get flu-like symptoms from swine flu, with some 2% of these hospitalized.
The paper suggested that the fatality rate for swine flu could be anywhere between 0.1%-0.35% of those who suffer flu-like symptoms, similar to the fatality rate from influenza.
That would mean between 18,000 and 63,000 people in the U.K. population of about 60 million could die in this worst-case scenario.
SWINE flu could kill as many as 350 people a day, experts predicted last night.
The death toll in Britain has already more than doubled in just one week to 29.
Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson said the NHS is planning for almost a third of the population being struck down by the virus and up to 65,000 people dying over the next few months. It is also feared that 12 per cent of the workforce could be off sick within weeks, bringing the country to its knees.
Transport and other public services could be crippled and the NHS faces a potentially catastrophic strain on its already over-stretched resources. Estimates of the eventual death toll range from as few as 3,000 to a staggering 750,000 people.
By the end of August, 10 per cent of the population may be ill, Sir Liam warned. And 100,000 could become infected every day, with a possible death rate of up to 0.35 per cent.
Hong Kong yesterday recorded its first death linked to human swine flu (H1N1).
That came as five people, including a Hong Kong University student, were in serious or critical condition after being stricken by H1N1.
Health authorities had said a 42-year-old Filipino seaman had died of the "superbug" community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. But further tests showed he also suffered from human swine flu, the Centre for Health Protection said.
A post-mortem will be performed to determine the exact cause of death.
The man had fever, chest pains and a cough for five days before he sought treatment at a hospital. He flew into Hong Kong on June 28 and worked on a cargo ship that left port on June 30. The seaman became ill several days later but went without treatment until July 8 when the ship returned to Hong Kong and he was admitted to Ruttonjee Hospital. He died last Friday.
Other than the seaman, there have been six serious infections in total, involving two men and four women aged between 23 and 76. They came down with symptoms between June 28 and July 8. One of those whose condition is serious is a 23-year-old, second-year HKU student. The condition of a 76-year-old man, the first serious case, has now improved and he is in a stable condition.
Hong Kong registered 85 new H1N1 cases yesterday, taking the total to 1,552.
HARTFORD (AP) -- The Connecticut Department of Public Health says seven people have died from swine flu in the state.
The department's new figures on its Web page devoted to the disease also reports Thursday that 111 patients have been hospitalized for the disease.
The department says those affected by the virus range in age from less than 1 up to 86 years of age.
In a breakdown by parts of the state, the health department says New Haven County has the highest number of reported cases with 562, while Windham County, with 19, has had the fewest.
The 22-year-old Sarasota man who died of swine flu was "healthy" according to the doctor overseeing Sarasota County's health department.
"As far as we're aware he was a healthy individual otherwise and that’s certainly of concern," said Dr. William Heymann. "We know other illnessness can lead to increased morbidity and illness with swine flu, but this is an example of one where to our knowledge this isn't the case."
The man's illness was prolonged and he received medical treatment, according to county health officials.
His death marks the first swine flu death in the county and the 13th in the state. It was first annouced by county health officials earlier today. They would not disclose his name, the date of his death, or any other personal details. He died "several days ago," health officials said.
A source told the Herald-Tribune the man died in Tampa, but health officials could not confirm that. Also, authorities are looking into another possible death from swine flu: a patient recently died at Sarasota Memorial from complications from the flu, according to a hospital spokesperson. The hospital is waiting for state labs to confirm whether it was swine flu. No more details are available about that patient.
A patient who tested positive for swine flu has died at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon, health officials have confirmed.
Further investigations will be carried out to identify if the patient had any underlying health problems.
No details have been given about the patient's age, although it is thought she was from Malmesbury in Wiltshire.
A FEMALE tourist suffering from the swine flu virus has died in hospital in Scotland, Health Secretary Nicola Surgeon said today.
The woman, who had "significant underlying medical conditions" died at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness yesterday evening.
The patient was admitted to the hospital more than three weeks ago and had been in intensive care and is the third person suffering from swine flu to have died in Scotland.
The Fraser Health Authority, the district with the largest number of pigs in the province—and one of the most intensively farmed areas in Canada—has a 39-percent-higher rate of confirmed H1N1 cases per capita (9.7 per 100,000 people) than the provincial average (7.0 per 100,000), according to data from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control as of July 6. B.C.’s first confirmed death from H1N1 flu occurred on July 13 in the region.
The rate is even higher in the Northern Health Authority, which has the highest ratio of pigs to people in the province. The northern region has a 48-percent-higher per capita H1N1 rate (10.3 per 100,000) than the B.C. average.
The data shows a near-perfect 93-percent correlation between the number of pigs in a health region and the number of confirmed H1N1 cases there. (Correlation measures the strength of the relationship between two groups of data. A correlation of 70 percent or higher is generally considered to be strong.)
On Tuesday, Pulse exclusively revealed that the Royal College of General Practitioners has submitted a damning dossier to a House of Lords investigation into how the Government has managed swine flu.
You can now read the RCGP submission in full.
Among the concerns highlighted:
• Poor communication, with vital information not cascaded down to PCTs or GPs, and ‘conflicting advice’ being given, including amendments to the procedure for obtaining Tamiflu
• Out-of-hours providers swamped by an ‘unsustainable’ workload and warnings that other serious medical conditions are being missed
• Anxiety among pregnant doctors over whether to continue working, with no clear advice from the Government
• Lack of clarity about isolation periods following infection, and confusion around how long health workers need to stay off work.
WITN News has learned there is a second death related to swine flu in Eastern Carolina.
A spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Health & Human Services says there was a death in Carteret County.
The state does not have an exact date for the Carteret County death, other than it happened within the last week.
We have also confirmed that a Wilson County woman who died of swine flu Wednesday had recently given birth.
Friends of the family tell us the baby was born premature a week before her mother's death.
Joyce Wetherington, Public Information Officer with the Wilson County Health Department, said the person died Wednesday at WakeMed in Raleigh.
The health department says the patient was a woman who was transported to WakeMed where her condition worsened.
There are eleven confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus in Wilson County, Wetherington said.
She reiterated people should practice good hygiene, especially hand-washing, to prevent the spread of germs.
To see all county statistics, click here.
As of Wednesday afternoon, state officials said there were a total of 395 cases of H1N1virus confirmed in North Carolina. The number of cases that cropped up over the last week was 84, according to state officials on Wednesday.
Two people in Guilford County died from swine flu last month.
According to a press release from Peru's Ministry of Health, the A/H1N1 influenza death toll in Peru rose to seven.
The deceased patients were a 36-year-old male patient who had hypertension and a 21-year-old female with 30 weeks of pregnancy. Both patients had been categorized as of “high risk.”
On the other side, another death allegedly on AH1N1 (a 43 year-old woman with a heart condition) has been just reported in Huanuco region: however, the health authorities are yet to confirm this information.
At present, 144 new cases have been confirmed in the country; 89 in Lima, 33 in La Libertad, 3 in Junín, 2 in Ancash, 9 in Cusco, 7 in Arequipa and 1 in Pasco.
This brings the total of cases up to 2,226.
All of the patients are Peruvian and are currently receiving antiviral treatment under home isolation.
Two people died on Thursday as a result of Influenza A, bringing the total of number of deaths in Spain from the virus to four.
The first victim was a 33 year old Nigerian woman, a resident in Madrid but who was currently on vacation in the Balaerics. The woman had been admitted to the Hospital Son Llótzer in Palma de Mallorca.
The second victim was a 71 year old man with a history of respiratory problems. The man was admitted to the Hospital Universitario La Paz in Madrid with a lung disease complicated by infection with the H1N1 virus. His respiratory problems developed into multiorgan dysfunction which then caused his death.