It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Three more people, two of them children, have died of swine flu, it was announced today, taking the death toll in the UK to seven.
One of the children, a nine year-old from south London, died at the weekend. The family asked for their privacy to be respected and would not allow any information about the child's health problems to be divulged.
The other two were a man and a child from the Kirklees area of West Yorkshire. All three victims had serious underlying health problems, according to local NHS officials.
Three children have now died. The first, Sameerah Ahmad in Birmingham, was six and suffered from a rare life-threatening disease which impaired her immune system and made her vulnerable to infections. Only one victim so far has been elderly – a 73-year-old man in Scotland. The others were a 19-year-old and a 38-year-old woman, who had recently given birth. All five had serious underlying health problems, according to NHS officials.
The death of an Edmonton area woman with chronic pre-existing medical conditions has been confirmed as the second in Alberta associated with H1N1 flu.
H1N1 virus as viewed through a microscope (CBC)It is not clear what role the H1N1 virus played in the death of the middle-aged woman, health officials said Monday in a release.
"The sad and stark reality is that we expect that we will see other deaths associated with H1N1," said Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta's chief medical officer of health, in the release.
Privacy concerns prevent the release of more details surrounding this latest death, the release states.
A fifth Suffolk County resident with a confirmed case of swine flu has died, the county's health department said Monday.
The latest victim is a woman from the Town of Babylon, between 55 and 65 years old, "who had multiple underlying medical problems," the county said in a news release.
The woman was hospitalized June 6, diagnosed with the H1N1 virus on June 23 and died Saturday.
There's been another death as a result of the H1N1 flu in Saskatchewan.
This time it was child under the age of ten.
A woman in her forties and a man in his seventies succumbed to the virus in the last couple of weeks.
According to Saskatchewan Health, all those who have died had serious underlying health conditions.
There have been 799 cases of the H1N1 flu virus confirmed in Saskatchewan.
Updated: Jul 06, 2009 2:28 PM PDT
LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- A second Clark County resident has died from the H1N1 virus. The 51-year-old man died on July 3. This is the second Southern Nevadan to die.
The Southern Nevada Health District says the man who was hospitalized on June 25 did have an underlying medical condition. There are currently three patients with the virus that are hospitalized; two of those are in serious condition. There are also seven other patients hospitalized who may have the virus but the district is still awaiting resulting on testing.
There have been 110 confirmed cases of the H1N1 or swine flu in Clark County.
06 Jul 2009 22:00:56 GMT
* Doubts over economic data extend to flu outbreak
* Argentine death toll third-highest in the world
BUENOS AIRES, July 6 (Reuters) - Argentines are questioning the government's handling of an H1N1 flu outbreak that has killed 60 people amid confusion over the number of cases and accusations that officials acted too slowly.
President Cristina Fernandez has sought to halt the spread of the new swine flu strain at the height of the Southern Hemisphere winter by closing schools and letting public sector workers to take time off.
But critics have chided her for going ahead with a congressional election last week and flying to Washington over the weekend to join a diplomatic mission to reinstate the ousted Honduran president while the flu death toll mounts.
"The government's clearly not handling this well," said Leopoldo Fernandez Suarez, an engineer who has sent his two children to Patagonia to get away from the capital and its suburbs where most cases have been reported.
"I don't pay any attention to what they're saying. I don't have any confidence in them," he added.
A two-year controversy over accusations the government is manipulating key economic data for political gain has also fueled doubts about the extent of the outbreak of H1N1, which first emerged in Mexico and the United States earlier this year.
In less than a week, the Argentine death toll has more than doubled to 60, the third-highest confirmed H1N1 toll in a country after the United States and Mexico.
The government has confirmed 2,800 cases of the virus, but the numbers have caused confusion.
A day after Argentina's mid-term vote, Graciela Ocana quit as health minister and some media said she had faced opposition within the government to her proposals to combat the outbreak.
Soon after taking over, her replacement Juan Manzur was quoted as saying the number of unconfirmed cases of H1N1 could be as high as 100,000. It is not a confusing number for health experts, who know that in any flu outbreak not every patient gets tested and that the virus usually infects more than 10 percent of the population.
U.S. health officials, for instance, say at least a million North Americans are likely infected, even though the officially confirmed global toll is 94,512.
But the way the remarks were made fueled confusion and concerns over the official response.
The government has not declared a national emergency because of the flu's spread. Some local officials have declared emergencies, including the mayor of Buenos Aires and several provincial governments, allowing them to make decisions to close public places and access government funds.
On Monday, a group of theater owners said they were closing theaters for 10 days after audiences dropped off sharply.
Fernandez is struggling with 30 percent approval ratings and trying to recover from a setback in last week's election that saw her lose her majority in Congress.
Andrea, a 44-year-old lawyer who did not want to give her last name, cited the government's handling of economic data as a reason why she does not believe Fernandez.
Private economists and analysts say the government overstates economic growth and understates inflation, poverty levels and joblessness for political gain, a charge Fernandez has rejected.
"There is a lot of manipulation and disinformation. It all started with the government statistics," Andrea said. (Writing by Kevin Gray)
The Gleaner Power 106 News has learnt that a 22-year-old man who was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus died at the University Hospital this afternoon.
More on this story shortly.
Source: Gleaner/Power 106 News
The Gleaner Power 106 News learnt that a 22-year-old man, who was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus died at the University Hospital this afternoon.
Our news centre has learnt that the man was admitted to the Tony Thwaites Wing at the institution.
Hospital and ministry officials are yet to confirm the death.
However, the Gleaner Power 106 sources said the man who was from St Catherine, had two initial tests which proved negative for the virus.
However, the H1N1 diagnosis was confirmed by a third test.
It is also understood that the young man was also diagnosed with pneumonia.
In the meantime, some staff members at the hospital have expressed fears that hospital staff are not adequately prepared to handle cases of the virus.
However, the Chief Executive Officer at the Hospital, Dr. Trevor McCartney said strict protocols involving measures are in place at the institution to handle cases of the virus.
Up to the end of last week the health ministry reported 32 cases of the virus.
Nine parishes have confirmed cases of the virus.
Meanwhile, the ministry is continuing to urge persons to take the precautionary measures to protect themselves from the virus.
These include washing the hands frequently with soap and water or using an alcohol based sanitizer, covering the mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
Persons with flu-like symptoms are being urged to drink lots of fluid and rest, but if the symptoms persist, the ministry said they should contact a doctor, health center or hospital.
SACRAMENTO — A quarantine of San Quentin State Prison inmates has been expanded in response to a possible swine flu epidemic.
Luis Patino, a spokesman for the federal receiver who oversees medical care at the state's prisons, said today that 35 San Quentin prisoners have shown symptoms consistent with the H1N1 virus. The suspected cases have surfaced in several different areas of the prison north of San Francisco that houses California's death row.
As a precaution, officials now have isolated 2,100 of the prison's 5,200 inmates. Last week, when the potential cases were limited to one cell block, 800 prisoners were quarantined.
Patino says the prison still doesn't know if the ill inmates have swine flu and is awaiting confirmation through lab tests.
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y (AP) -- A fifth person with a confirmed case of swine flu has died in Long Island's Suffolk County.
County health officials say the latest victim was a woman from the Town of Babylon who was between 55 and 65 years old and had ``multiple underlying medical problems.''
Suffolk Health Commissioner Dr. Humayun Chaudhry says the woman was hospitalized a month ago, was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus on June 23 and died on Saturday.
Suffolk County has reported 136 confirmed cases of swine flu. Most of the people with confirmed cases of the virus have recovered or are recovering.
Nassau County has reported one death from swine flu, a young woman who had just given birth.
SANTIAGO .- The number of deaths in Chile because of the flu AH1N1 increased to 21 according to official figures.
The number of deaths increased after it was confirmed that the deaths of two people, a man and a woman in San Antonio and the city of Tome.
The man of 52 years a native of San Antonio, after suffering a respiratory disease, which complicated their treatment.
"I had a chronic lung disease and was being treated for lymphoma," explained the director of the health service of the cities of Valparaiso and San Antonio, Dagoberto Duarte.
Health Minister Alvaro Erazo, reported that hospital admissions for respiratory diseases in adults increased by 20 percent, while the children had low from week to week.
For its part, the president of the Association of Primary Care Physicians, Camilo Bass, estimated at half a million cases of infection with influenza A in Chile, which contrasts with the official information of 8,000 people confirmed. "We do not have a figure for total cases, but taking into account all that antiviral treatments have been delivered free of charge at clinics and hospitals, and the level of overloading, we believe we have exceeded the 500 thousand cases," said Bass In statements to Radio DNA.
The doctor stressed that primary care was severely overloaded by demand, and because many workers in the system are licensed health.
The president of the Medical College, Pablo Rodriguez, in turn, felt that "it is likely that all the people working today in the health services' becoming infected at some point.
A 21-year-old woman from Stanislaus County has died from complications of swine flu, health officials said today.
The woman, who had pre-existing medical conditions, died on Wednesday while hospitalized with severe pneumonia, according to the county Health Services Agency. Tests later revealed that she had been infected with the H1N1 virus.
The woman, whose name and town of residence were not released, is the first person in Stanislaus County to die amid the H1N1 pandemic. State health officials said last week that H1N1 influenza is widespread in California, with more than 2,000 reported cases, including 233 hospitalized and 23 deaths.
"We have had numerous tests for H1N1 within our county during the past few weeks," said John Walker, the county's public health officer. "Only four have tested positive, and all four have been within the past three weeks.
"Clearly, virus activity is on the increase within our community. However, this should not be cause for alarm."