It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A 29-year-old man is in Gisborne Hospital's Intensive Care Unit with respiratory problems, possibly suffering from Influenza A (H1N1) or Swine Flu.
The man was admitted to hospital on Friday and is in a stable condition.
Medical Officer of Health Dr Geoff Cramp described the man's condition this morning as "improving".
The man had recently returned to Gisborne from the United Kingdom.
Swabs have been taken and a result is expected back by Wednesday.
The man does not have an underlying medical condition and there could be a number of illnesses that could cause his condition.
The total number of confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) cases in the Tairawhiti District is two.
The second case was confirmed on Friday.
That case was another 29-year-old man that was diagnosed in another part of the country but lives in Gisborne.
Respiratory virus outbreak contained at Mac's neonatal ICU unit
Hamilton health officials have declared an outbreak at McMaster hospital's
neonatal intensive care unit after 3 newborns became ill with a respiratory
virus. The premature babies were confirmed to have parainfluenza type 3
virus infection. It is a seasonal virus associated with respiratory
symptoms such as a cough and fever. There have been no new cases since then, according to hospital officials. The neonatal intensive care unit,
which has 44 babies, remains open to visitors and patient admissions and
the 3 affected babies are in isolation and being monitored closely. All are
recovering, said hospital spokesperson Lillian Badzioch.
The virus is not a flu virus and not associated with the H1N1 swine flu
virus that is spreading in the community, according to Dr Chris Mackie,
Hamilton associate medical officer of health. Mackie said although
parainfluenza type 3 virus doesn't carry the same risks as regular seasonal influenzas, it does pose a risk for preemies [babies born prematurely]. Most cases do not require treatment and the virus is commonly seen in infants during spring and summer months. It can mimic the symptoms of the flu, Mackie said.
Badzioch said, "It is very common in children under 2." But, she added,
because it is in an intensive care unit and because the babies are all
preemies, the hospital declared the outbreak and erred on the side of
caution to prevent further spread. "We're already dealing with a fragile
population and we wanted to take all the precautions."
Critical ventilators to help Canada cope with the swine flu outbreak are being ordered by the federal government amid dire warnings about the severity of this fall's flu season.
As the pandemic spreads globally, Canadian public health findings show – for unknown reasons – that victims here have been younger and sicker, and have required more ventilators than most other countries, including the United States.
For years, medical experts have been worried about the small number of intensive care nurses who would be available to treat patients during an influenza pandemic. But the first wave of the H1N1 virus, which killed 29 people in Canada and sent 663 to hospital as of Friday, has exposed another shortfall in national pandemic planning: the number of ventilator machines.
One young man arrived at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto more than a month ago with symptoms of the disease, which was subsequently confirmed. He was put on an oscillatory ventilator – a measure that is used only rarely for patients with a standard type of influenza. Four weeks later, he was still hooked up to the machine.
“It appears that there is a sub-population of relatively young people who very rapidly develop severe illness with this virus. And they are not a large number, but they require very intensive ventilatory support with new advanced ventilators,” said Allison McGeer, an expert in infectious disease at Mount Sinai.
“We have very few oscillatory ventilators. We generally don't need them very often and usually it's for a very short period of time. So these young people are requiring a disproportionate amount of time on ventilators that we have very small numbers of.”
translate.google.com...< br />
Status 8-year old girl who has confirmed A/H1N1 virus infection is severe - informed Sanitary Inspectorate spokesman Major John Bondar. As noted, the child passes the bacterial infection - for the time being it is uncertain which is the direct cause of its poor.
The Ministry of Health reported last night that the number of patients affected by H1N1 virus, reaches 2,485 with 60 killed, 42 of them from Buenos Aires Province, but the total could reach 65 according to reports from the provinces of Santa Fe and Cordoba .
For the spread of the disease, health authorities declared that they have at their sisposal hospitals of the Armed Forces: Campo de Mayo, Bahía Blanca, Mar del Plata and Punta Indio, Ezeiza Mobile Hospital , including doctors and nurses, ambulances and health posts.
A nine-year-old girl has become the fifth person with swine flu to die in the UK.
The child from south London had "serious underlying health problems", NHS London has said.
Last week a 19-year-old man from south London, also with underlying health problems, died after contracting the virus.
London is the second-worst affected area. On Friday, the capital had more than 1,900 cases.
A spokesman for NHS London said the child died "over the weekend". He added that no other details would be released.
HUNDREDS of extra hospital beds in NSW are being made available to cope with the large numbers of people presenting at hospitals with flu symptoms.
The state now has 1446 confirmed cases of swine flu, and as many as four in 10 people could become infected.
The NSW Minister for Health, John Della Bosca, said there had been a 17-fold increase in hospital visits for flu compared with the same period last year. Along with 550 extra beds, 8000 hospital-in-the-home places will be made available, allowing health-care professionals to provide acute care to patients in their place of residence.
These measures would increase the number of people who could receive high-quality care and reduce the risks from the virus, Mr Della Bosca said.
The state's chief health officer, Kerry Chant, estimated that 20 to 40 per cent of the population could be affected by the influenza A(H1N1) virus.
"Because it's a new virus the population doesn't have any degree of immunity to it," she said.
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) announced that a Butler County male in his 40s, who was infected with H1N1 influenza, died June 29. This is the first Ohio death linked to the pandemic strain of influenza. The patient had underlying health problems that may have contributed to his death.
The H1N1 infection was confirmed at the ODH laboratory today. ODH is unable to provide further details about the patient to protect confidentially. Patient contacts are being identified to determine whether public health interventions are necessary.
Breaking: Man and girl dead in Dewsbury after catching swine flu
Two people in Dewsbury have died after catching swine flu
A MAN and a child Dewsbury have died after catching swine flu, it was confirmed today. A girl, whose age has not been disclosed, died on Thursday and a man, believed to be a teacher in the town, died yesterday.
The deaths in the West Yorkshire town were confirmed today by officials from NHS Kirklees.
A spokesman said the child and the man both had "underlying health issues" and it was not yet known whether swine flu had caused their deaths.
It is believed that the man was a teacher at the Institute of Islamic Education, a private boarding school in Savile Town, Dewsbury, although NHS Kirklees officials would not comment on this.
A spokesman said the coroner had been informed of both deaths.
A spokesperson for NHS Kirklees said: "We can confirm that a child from the Kirklees area, who had swine flu, has died. The child also had serious underlying health issues.
"At this stage, we have no confirmation whether or not swine flu was the cause of death." .
Medical sources announced the first case of swine flu in Baghdad
) KARACHI newspaper Panorama (picture in front of clarification only)
06/07/2009 12:00:03 06/07/2009 12:00:03
A medical source from within the municipal hospital, the son of a hospital located in the outskirts of Sadr City in Baghdad, who declined to be named, said yesterday,
. Saturday saw the first case of swine flu in Iraq.
The source said that "a child had died with symptoms of the flu virus, pigs, the disease was diagnosed by a specialist doctor
". But the parents of the child who suffered panic upon hearing the news and they have to take the body of the boy and tore up the file of the child and fled the scene. "
. The news hit the panic in the hospital and was to contact the office of the Director-General of the Department of Health said.
. It is noted that all the hospital staff had to take precautionary measures by wearing masks and others. h1n1 It should be noted that this case is the first case of detection of the virus h1n1
There's word that a fifth Manitoban carrying the H1 N1 flu virus has died.
43 year old Perry Chernesky fell ill two weeks ago and died yesterday morning.
It's not known if he had an underlying medical condition.
He was the pastor of Oakbank Baptist Church and leaves behind a wife and two daughters.
To date, 685 Manitobans have tested positive with H1-N1.
The Northern Territory has recorded its first swine flu-related death.
The department of health has confirmed a man in his early 50 has died at Royal Darwin Hospital.
It says he had underlying health issues.
"This is the first H1N1-related death to have occurred in the Northern Territory and RDH staff extend their sincerest sympathy to the patient's family and friends for their sad loss," the hospital's general manager, Dr Len Notaras, said.
Urtubey, Salta’s governor, would have swine flu
Posted on 06 July 2009 at 13:53
A web based newspaper from Salta informed that the governor of this province, Juan Manuel Urtubey, spent the whole weekend with symptoms of being infected, including a 40Cº fever.
The provincial governor remains isolated in the Farm “Las Costas” as a preventive measure.
The situation worried his personal doctor who submitted samples to determine if it is the H1N1 virus. The results would be available today
Three more people, two of them children, have died of swine flu, it was announced today, taking the death toll in the UK to seven.
One of the children, a nine year-old from south London, died at the weekend. The family asked for their privacy to be respected and would not allow any information about the child's health problems to be divulged.
The other two were a man and a child from the Kirklees area of West Yorkshire. All three victims had serious underlying health problems, according to local NHS officials.
Three children have now died. The first, Sameerah Ahmad in Birmingham, was six and suffered from a rare life-threatening disease which impaired her immune system and made her vulnerable to infections. Only one victim so far has been elderly – a 73-year-old man in Scotland. The others were a 19-year-old and a 38-year-old woman, who had recently given birth. All five had serious underlying health problems, according to NHS officials.