It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 224
<< 221  222  223    225  226  227 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
sorry double post

[edit on 2-7-2009 by wizardwars]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
BOSTON — City and state health officials say the deaths of two more Boston residents are believed to be linked to the swine flu.

The deaths would bring to four the number of swine flu-related fatalities in Massachusetts. All of the victims were from Boston.news.bostonherald.com...

[edit on 2-7-2009 by wizardwars]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
India 's first suspected swine flu death in Kerala

A 52-year-old non resident Indian, who was suspected to have contracted swine flu, died shortly after he was admitted to a hospital in Kerala's [ Images ] Kollam district on Wednesday night, a health official said on Thursday.

The throat swabs of Stanley Pelis, who arrived in Kerala two weeks ago from the United Kingdom, have been sent to the National Institute of Communicable diseases, New Delhi [ Images ], today morning. If confirmed, he would be the first victim of swine flu in the country.

Pelis, hailing from Kollam, was admitted to the Holy Cross Hospital at Kottiyam in the district with high fever and breathlessness at approximately 7 pm on Wednesday night and passed away at 9 pm, said medical director Dr K Shylaja.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
First Swine Fever Death In Brunei: 12-Year Old Child Dies

Breaking News:Bandar Seri Begawan – Swine flu claimed its first victim in Brunei today as a 12-year-old child died in the hospital this morning as the cases inched towards the 100 mark since the first outbreak here on June 20.

A Health Ministry press release said that laboratory tests confirmed that the child was tested positive for Influenza A (H1N1).

The ministry is investigating the background of the patient’s H1N1 infection.

The press statement added that the patient also had Auto-immune Hepatitis end stage liver failure and pneumonia and has been in critical condition since June 26.

The pandemic set another record here today as the most number of people so far in a day – 27 new ones – brought the total in the sultanate so far reached 93 cases. All these cases are being investigated, the ministry said.

So thats one dead out of only 100 sick and its only been there 13 days.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Death of man, 45, who had swine flu

A MAN with underlying medical conditions who died in a western Sydney hospital on Monday has tested positive to swine flu, NSW Health says.

The coroner was investigating the degree to which influenza A(H1N1) 09 might have contributed to the death, the Chief Health Officer, Kerry Chant, said yesterday.

The man, 45, who died in the intensive care unit at Nepean Hospital, is the 10th person with swine flu to die in Australia.

Dr Chant said the coroner would be asked to expedite the findings in case there were ramifications for the way health authorities were dealing with the influenza pandemic.

"Because of underlying medical conditions, this man was at greater risk of severe illness from H1N1 influenza 09," she said

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Relatives of dead A/H1N1 flu patient smash hospital

Angry relatives of an A/H1N1 flu patient who died "accidentally" Wednesday in east China's Zhejiang Province stormed the hospital where she died as they suspected electric shock caused her death.

More than 20 of the patient's relatives rushed into the No. 1 People's Hospital of Xiaoshan District, Hangzhou city, where the patient had been staying, and smashed the hall next to the gate and an ambulance with rocks. Glasses from the hall and flower terrace in front of the hospital were destroyed and the ambulance damaged.

The 34-year-old woman was found dead at 7:35 a.m. Wednesday in her ward lavatory at the No. 1 People's Hospital of Xiaoshan District in Hangzhou, the provincial capital, according to the Hangzhou municipal health bureau.

Local police and health authorities are still investigating the cause.

The patient was recovering as her temperature had been normal for a week. She coughed occasionally, but other flu symptoms had disappeared.

She was admitted to the hospital on June 23.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Japan detects first case of H1N1 flu resistant to Tamiflu

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan confirmed its first case of a genetic mutation of the new strain of influenza H1N1 showing resistance to the antiviral drug Tamiflu, said on Thursday an official from the Ministry of Health.

Takeshi Enami said the patient's sensitivity to Tamiflu has yet to be proven.

The patient, who was confirmed in May with the new strain of H1N1 flu in Osaka prefecture in western Japan, has recovered since then and no other patients around him has been reported, said Enami.

Did not confirm the age or sex of the patient.

(Reporting by Yoko Kubota; Edited by Silene Ramirez in Spanish)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Japan finds first case of H1N1 resistant to Tamiflu

TOKYO, July 2 (Reuters) - Japan has confirmed its first case of a genetic mutation of the new H1N1 influenza that shows resistance to Tamiflu, the main antiviral flu drug, a health ministry official said on Thursday.

The World Health Organisation has declared a global pandemic is under way from the virus, known as swine flu, which has so far been treatable with Tamiflu, made by Switzerland's Roche .

Takeshi Enami, an official at Japan's health ministry, said that the patient's sensitivity to Tamiflu had yet to be tested.

The patient, who was confirmed in May with the H1N1 strain of the flu in the Osaka prefecture of western Japan, has since recovered and no other cases of the new flu have been confirmed around the patient, Enami said.

He could not confirm the age or the sex of the patient.

The first case of H1N1 that did not respond to Tamiflu was a patient in Denmark.

Earlier this week the WHO said that case, revealed by Roche and Danish officials on Monday, was an isolated one and did not amplify the severity of the virus.

Resistance to Tamiflu has been previously documented in the deadly bird flu virus H5N1 and seasonal H1N1 flu.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Swine Flu Monitor: CDC Will Report Only Relenza Effective Against H1N1 Virus

More than 99 percent of the seasonal H1N1 viruses have shown resistance to Tamiflu, which has been considered one of the first-line drugs for this strain in prior years.

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory committee has found drug resistance in all but one of the anti-viral drugs used for influenza-like illness, “whether the infection is caused by a seasonal virus or the pandemic H1N1 virus.” (Emphasis added)

Since spring, SmithGlaxoKline, manufacturer of Relenza, has reported “ample” supplies of the drug through company statements and news stories.

What Can You Do?

■Report flu-like symptoms to your doctor right away to determine what is appropriate for you.

■If your doctor tells you to take antiviral medication, you should start it right away.
■According to the CDC advisory panel, only one medication is effective with this year’s influenza-like illnesses. The drug brand name is Relenza.

■Consult the CDC Swine Flu section on its Home Page, which has advice for patients and those who care for them at home.

Medpage Today

“Zanamivir (Relenza), a neuraminidase inhibitor, should be the preferred treatment for patients with influenza-like illness, whether infection is caused by a seasonal virus or the pandemic H1N1 virus, an advisory committee to the CDC said. (Emphasis added)

“Even if laboratory tests are negative but flu is still suspected, zanamivir should be used when antiviral treatment is considered, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices agreed here.

“Oseltamivir (Tamiflu), another neuraminidase inhibitor, could be used in case of a test that’s positive for seasonal influenza A H3N2 or B, or for pandemic influenza A H1N1, although more than 99% of the seasonal H1N1 viruses were resistant to the drug, the committee noted.

“The recommendations were based on testing for antiviral resistance, which found that all strains recently isolated, including the new H1N1, were susceptible to zanamivir.

“Researchers found varying levels of resistance to the adamantanes, rimantadine and amantadine.”

“The recommendations, which will be published in an upcoming issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, stressed that treatment should start as soon as possible for patients needing treatment.” ( Emphasis added)

Source: Medpage Today, June 29, 2009

Citation: CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, Publication Pending.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The only reason that the swine flu has any influence over the human body is because we might have some dna traits that match the pigs, why elese do they use pig skin to re-attach to burn victims in the emergency room with horrendous burns or etc.

And did this mysterious Pig Flu, actually created or is somebody manipulating the media to create a psychosomatic gesture of its reality?

In essence somebody is planting a seed into the garden, and hoping it will grow. But if the grounds for manipulation aren't right what will they come up next!

In other words YOUR BRAINWAVES ARE BEING MANIPULATED BY THEIR REALITY.

Who's agenda is it to get you sick perhaps our medical fields, who benefits with downsize of population.

Try to get sick if you don't know what sick is, I bet you can't do it, if you have never been sick or come into contact with somebody that never has been then how can your body replicate that behavior even on a sub-conscious level.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by menguard]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
momento24.com...

Argentina and Chile are considered to be the nations with the highest number of fatal victims (55 in Argentina, and 15 in Chile) regarding the number of contagions, for what both Governments increase the joint efforts to face to the pandemic, worsened by the seasonal flu that strikes the southern hemisphere during these months.

Our Country, has moved forward (and extended) the winter holidays in schools and universities.

Claudio Zin, Minister of Health of the province of Buenos Aires, said that “The peak of the epidemic is expected within two weeks, in addition to this evil, there are five or six viruses circulating in the country, in reference to the winter season.

55 in Argentina, and 15 in Chile

There are five or six viruses circulating in the country.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ohio Dept of Health reporting 1st H1N1 death in the state. A Butler Co man in his 40s died June 29th.

From tweetdeck

First H1N1 Death Confirmed In Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A southwestern Ohio man died from the H1N1 influenza virus, the Ohio Department of Health confirmed Thursday.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, died on Monday. He was in his 40s, according to the ODH.

The death was the first in the state linked to the pandemic strain of influenza. Health officials said that the man had underlying health problems that may have contributed to his death.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Swine Flu Monitor: CDC Will Report Only Relenza Effective Against H1N1 Virus

Since spring, SmithGlaxoKline, manufacturer of Relenza, has reported “ample” supplies of the drug through company statements and news stories.

Well that's just fantastic! No way am I, or any member of my family, taking anything made by Glaxo Smith Kline after the nightmare I had getting off Seroxat (I think the US call it something beginning with P but can't quite remember).

Anyway, it was supposed to be a temporary anti depressant for 3 to 6 months after my son was admitted to hospital and nearly didn't make it. 9 years later and my son is 100% healthy but I can't say the same for me! I did eventually wean myself off the Seroxat but vowed never to trust GSK again and that still stands so no more debating required, in our house, about whether to get the kids vaccinated this autumn. They almost ruined my life once and will NEVER get another chance.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Child dies of suspected H1N1

The Ministry of Health of El Salvador today on a death that could be associated with the influenza virus H1N1.
The victim is a child of nine years. The health authorities explained that a resident in the municipality of Guangzhou City and San Salvador Delgado died in a private hospital under the diagnosis of pneumonia.

Health confirm whether this is a case of H1N1 after various examinations during the day or tomorrow.

Yesterday, the number of people with the virus rose to 276 confirmed cases across the country. In less than 24 hours were added 23 new cases.

The Health Report also records five probable cases and 86 suspects, including students of the Academy of Public Security.

The number of contacts that remain are monitoring 178. They ask people not to buy Tamiflu without a prescription.

According to the World Health Organization, we are in the stage 6 for pandemic influenza A virus H1N1.

According to the latest update of the WHO, there are 77.201 cases, concentrated in 121 countries.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
RT @AboveTopSecret: Swine Flu Cannot be Contained!! - t.atsmix.com...

From tweetdeck.

I guess AboveTopSecret is starting to reach twitter.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I was reading up on my local news and I found this, only two weeks ago 44 confirmed cases, now 90?!?!?!? My husband travels a lot and I fear he may get this, hopefully he won't.

www.wabi.tv...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
13 inmates have swine flu

VERO BEACH, FL — Thirteen inmates at the Indian River County Correctional Institution have contracted swine flu.

Officials confirmed Wednesday the inmates had the H1N1 flu virus, said Michele Kiesel, Indian River Health Department nursing supervisor. Officials of neither the health department nor the Florida Department of Corrections, which runs the correctional institution for youthful male offenders, know how the inmates picked up the virus.

“Oftentimes, it’s brought in from outside,” said Gretl Plessinger, Department of Corrections spokeswoman.

Only three of the inmates had active symptoms Thursday, Plessinger said. No case was life-threatening, but one inmate is receiving medical care at a separate facility Plessinger declined to name.

All the sick inmates lived in the same dorm, Plessinger said. That dorm is under restrictions to contain the virus, per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention’s instructions for correctional facilities.

Swine flu is a novel strain of influenza that emerged this spring in Mexico. Though it spread in epidemic proportions across the globe and caused hundreds of deaths, the H1N1 virus has proved to be a less virulent strain in the U.S. than originally feared.

Indian River County has had three confirmed cases of swine flu. Martin County Health Department has confirmed five cases, and St. Lucie County has had no confirmed cases.

Health officials say basic hygiene is the best defense against any flu virus. Anyone who develops symptoms should try to stay home for at least seven days, even if symptoms disappear.

Thats just few miles from me.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticalzoe

Maine should have a update coming out today here is a link www.maine.gov...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
MIT and CDC discover why H1N1 flu spreads inefficiently

I guess the scary thing about this article is the CDC and MIT don't think swine flu is spreading very efficiently. Considering it has spread around the world and is still infecting and killing people in the middle of summer makes me disagree with them I think swine flu is pretty efficient and to top it off its now resistent to Tamiflu leaving only Ralenza to fight it and the work being done on vaccine might all go to waste if it doesn't treat Tamiflu resistent AH1N1 the newest strain.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Argentina Highest CFR; UK Highest RGR-July 3rd

Comparison of the key metrics of the main areas of infection.
This bubble chart compares:

Recent growth rate
Death rate (CFR)
Total cases
The indicators to watch for are countries notably departing from the typical

Fast growth (vertical)
Potency (horizontal)
At present, these include UK, which is growing abnormally quickly, and Argentina, which seems to be suffering a higher CFR.

Peterosborn on Twitter

[edit on 2-7-2009 by sonjah1]

[edit on 2-7-2009 by sonjah1]

new topics

top topics

<< 221  222  223    225  226  227 >>

join