It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Hamilton has experienced its first death of a person with the H1N1 virus.
Public health officials said a 41-year-old Hamilton female died this week who had the H1N1 virus. It is not known if the virus was a contributing factor in the death. Health officials said the individual had underlying health conditions.
This is the first death in Hamilton of a person with the virus since it was discovered in Mexico a few months ago.
Chris Mackie, Hamilton’s associate medical officer of health, confirmed there are a few other people with the virus in hospital, but he could not be more specific.
Three more people in Nova Scotia have been hospitalized with swine flu, increasing the total number of confirmed cases in the province to 151.
Provincial health officials said Tuesday the three cases were within the Capital District Health Authority and the IWK Health Centre.
Two patients remain in hospital. The one person released was at the IWK, the children's hospital for the Maritimes.
Dr. Maureen Baikie, deputy medical officer of health, said she doesn't know the severity of those cases.
Spanish authorities say a pregnant 20-year-old woman has died from the H1N1 swine flu virus, becoming Spain's first fatality from the virus and the fourth in Europe.
The Moroccan woman was seven months pregnant when she died Tuesday at a Madrid hospital. Earlier, doctors performed a Cesarean section to save her premature baby, who was in good health but on a respirator.
Spain's Health Ministry says the mother suffered from asthma and died of a respiratory illness triggered by swine flu.
Britain reported its third swine flu death late Monday. The victim was a nine-year-old girl who officials say suffered underlying health problems.
For the second time in two days, the death of a Suffolk resident has been linked to swine flu, the county health department said Tuesday.
A resident of the Town of Smithtown between the ages of 45 and 55 is the fourth death in the county associated with the H1N1 virus, Suffolk Health Commissioner Dr. Humayun Chaudhry said in a news release.
The man, who died Tuesday, "had been hospitalized since mid-June for multiple acute and chronic underlying medical problems," Chaudhry said.
Ontario has confirmed another death associated with the swine flu.
An 81-year-old Toronto woman is the 10th person to die in Ontario who tested positive for the H1N1 virus.
Ministry of Health officials say the woman had been in hospital in intensive care for some time.
Ontario now has 3,154 confirmed cases of H1N1 and 138 people have been hospitalized since the end of April.
The Public Health Agency of Canada website puts the national death toll associated with swine flu at 25, but the total doesn't include the Ontario death or a 12th death reported Friday in Quebec.
Flemington, NJ, June 30, 2009 – A new national study among 696 physicians revealed that more than one-third of physicians (37%) reported that there was “somewhat of a risk” that the H1N1 swine flu could result in a catastrophic pandemic, the highest level since an April study in which 49% of physicians reported that there was “somewhat of a risk” for a pandemic.
The study was conducted last night by HCD Research using its MediaCurves.com® website, and the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion (MCIPO), as part of a series of studies which were conducted during April, May and June to obtain physicians’ perceptions of the H1N1 virus. The studies are being conducted on a weekly basis to measure physicians’ perceptions regarding their personal and professional views on the issue.
When asked what top three sources they use to obtain information on H1N1 swine flu, physicians listed government agency communications (77%) as their top choice, followed by the news media (71%) and medical associations (55%), similar to previous studies.
TORONTO — Ontario is now reporting 11 deaths associated with the swine flu for a national total of 30.
An 81-year-old Toronto woman and a 41-year-old Hamilton woman who had chronic health problems both tested positive for the virus.
Ministry of Health officials say the elderly woman had been in hospital in intensive care for some time.
Ontario now has more than 3,150 confirmed cases of H1N1 and 138 people have been hospitalized since the end of April.
The number of reported deaths of Canadians with swine flu, based on information from provincial health officials, was 30 on Tuesday.
Contra Costa County
Man dies from swine flu: Contra Costa County has reported its third death from swine flu, otherwise known as the H1N1 virus.
A middle-aged man with other underlying health problems died on June 23. County officials declined to disclose details.
The first swine flu victim in Contra Costa was a school-aged girl who passed away on May 29.
On June 12, a middle-aged man with no major health conditions became the county's second victim.
At least 17 people have died statewide after exposure to the novel virus.
STOCKHOLM, June 30 (Xinhua) -- A European health agency said Tuesday that 2006 new A/H1N1 flu cases were reported in European countries within the last 24 hours.
Of the new cases, 1,687 were confirmed in Britain, 176 in Spain,49 in France, 29 in Germany, 23 in Cyprus, nine in Finland, five in Switzerland, four respectively in Slovakia, Portugal and Greece, three respectively in Austria, Denmark and Romania, two respectively in Ireland and Hungary, one respectively in Sweden, Poland and Belgium, the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said in its daily situation report.
The total number of confirmed cases of the A/H1N1 flu virus in the EU (European Union) and EFTA (European Free Trade Association)countries rose to 8,179, with 717 cases in Spain and 5,937 in Britain, 288 in France and 417 in Germany, the ECDC said.
The ECDC publishes a daily situation report about A/H1N1 flu cases in the EU and EFTA countries based on official information from these countries.