It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 199
<< 196  197  198    200  201  202 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Colombia confirms first dead case of A/H1N1 influenza virus

BOGOTA, June 9 (Xinhua) -- Colombia confirmed on Tuesday a 24-year-old woman who infected A/H1N1 influenza virus died last weekend in hospital of Meissen, north of the capital Bogota.

Minister of Social Protection Diego Palacio said the woman died because of severe pneumonia derived from the A/H1N1 influenza, which was also the first dead case of this disease in Colombia

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Mexico say 2 new swine flu deaths, toll at 108

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico has confirmed two more deaths from swine flu, bringing the toll to 108 nationwide.
The Health Department
says 6,241 people have been sickened across Mexico, including those who died. The department released the new figures Tuesday.
Mexico says its epidemic has largely subsided, but the confirmed toll has been rising as scientists test a backlog of samples from patients.

Worldwide, the disease has reached 73 countries and infected 26,563 people, causing 140 deaths.
ex]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Baah
I have just travelled extensively to Alaska on a cruise and mixed with all sorts of nationalities. I stayed 3 extra days in Anchorage and caught flu. When I got back home...I went to walk in clinic cos my usual Dr away and the receptionist said 'no appointments for 3 days' even though I described the symptoms....and belive you me those 3 days I was really sick!!!

On going to walk in clinic there was a note posted on the door saying if you have this...this and this symptom...call this number. I went in and got an appointment - I have secondary Bronchitis...Now what I want to know is:
Is there something else that 'presents' with Swine Flu? which makes it a dead cert that it IS SWINE FLU OR is it all completely blown out of proportion? cos I HAD all the symptoms listed. I am sick and tired of hearing about it... and the impression I am getting is that it is all out of proportion and the deaths in Mexico are probably due to hygeine combined with this flu.
\my other concern is that if I have had even a mild form...I have now infected about 20 people in the walk in.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
One last thing to 'ponder' I did not take the flu shot and my 80 yr old mother travelled with me and so far hasn't caught anything and i am on my 6th day of this now...so it is certainly interesting as I know some of you are sceptical about the flu shots..,.

Just something to think about...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
WHO transcript of the 9 June 2009 press briefing [pdf 64kb]

Dr Fukuda: As usual with this briefing, I will do a quick update then there are some issues that I will highlight, and then I will throw it open to questions. As of today, which is 9 June 2009, the number of countries reporting laboratory-confirmed cases to WHO is 73 and the number of laboratory-confirmed cases reported to WHO is 26 563. This is a little bit more advanced than the numbers that are posted on the web right now. In these cases, this includes 249 deaths (this was an error and was corrected later).

Did she let a secret out and try to cover it up afterwards or just make a mistake. Theres a lot of countries involed and they must have a lot of people looking over the numbers and proof reading could they all have just over looked a death count. I would say the whole meeting was based on the death count and hospitalization of patients world wide.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jools

Thank you for telling us about your experience...there have been many posts with concerns about flu shots also, thier effectiveness, and safety.
There is a second round of illness with this flu, people recover for the most part, and then the virus affects the respriotory system afterwards.
WHO UPDATE 46 June 10, 2009

Country Cumulative total Newly confirmed since the last reporting period
Cases Deaths Cases Deaths
Argentina 235 0 33 0
Australia 1224 0 173 0
Austria 5 0 0 0
Bahamas 2 0 1 0
Bahrain 1 0 0 0
Barbados 2 0 0 0
Belgium 14 0 0 0
Bolivia 3 0 0 0
Brazil 36 0 1 0
Bulgaria 2 0 0 0
Canada 2446 4 331 1
Cayman Islands, 1 0 0 0
Chile 1694 2 1283 1
China 142 0 34 0
Colombia 35 0 10 0
Costa Rica 93 1 25 0
Cuba 5 0 0 0
Cyprus 1 0 0 0
Czech Republic 2 0 0 0
Denmark 8 0 1 0
Dominica 1 0 0 0
Dominican Rep 91 1 47 0
Ecuador 60 0 0 0
Egypt 8 0 7 0
El Salvador 69 0 0 0
Estonia 4 0 1 0
Finland 4 0 0 0
France 71 0 13 0
Germany 78 0 15 0
Greece 5 0 0 0
Guatemala 60 0 30 0
Honduras 89 0 55 0
Hungary 3 0 0 0
Iceland 2 0 1 0
India 4 0 0 0
Ireland 12 0 1 0
Israel 63 0 9 0
Italy 50 0 0 0
Jamaica 7 0 3 0
Japan 485 0 75 0
Korea, 48 0 1 0
Kuwait 18 0 0 0
Lebanon 8 0 5 0
Luxembourg 1 0 0 0
Malaysia 5 0 0 0
Mexico 5717 106 0 0
Netherlands 22 0 12 0
New Zealand 23 9 0
Nicaragua 29 0 11 0
Norway 9 0 0 0
Panama 221 0 42 0
Paraguay 16 0 11 0
Peru 64 0 3 0
Philippines 54 0 21 0
Poland 6 0 1 0
Portugal 2 0 0 0
Romania 9 0 0 0
Russia 3 0 0 0
Saudi Arabia 1 0 0 0
Singapore 18 0 3 0
Slovakia 3 0 0 0
Spain 331 0 40 0
Sweden 16 0 2 0
Switzerland 16 0 0 0
Thailand 8 0 0 0
Trinidad/Tobago 2 0 0 0
Turkey 10 0 0 0
Ukraine 1 0 1 0
United Arab Em 1 0 0 0
United Kingdom 666 0 109 0
U.S.A. 13217 27 0 0
Uruguay 24 0 7 0
Venezuela 12 0 8 0
Viet Nam 15 0 6 0
Grand Total 27737 141 2449 2

Chinese Taipei has reported 24 confirmed cases of influenza A (H1N1) with 0 deaths. Cases from Chinese Taipei are included in the cumulative totals provided in the table above

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 46
sharing.govdelivery.com...

[edit on 10-6-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
Baah
I have just travelled extensively to Alaska on a cruise and mixed with all sorts of nationalities. I stayed 3 extra days in Anchorage and caught flu. When I got back home...I went to walk in clinic cos my usual Dr away and the receptionist said 'no appointments for 3 days' even though I described the symptoms....and belive you me those 3 days I was really sick!!!

On going to walk in clinic there was a note posted on the door saying if you have this...this and this symptom...call this number. I went in and got an appointment - I have secondary Bronchitis...Now what I want to know is:
Is there something else that 'presents' with Swine Flu? which makes it a dead cert that it IS SWINE FLU OR is it all completely blown out of proportion? cos I HAD all the symptoms listed. I am sick and tired of hearing about it... and the impression I am getting is that it is all out of proportion and the deaths in Mexico are probably due to hygeine combined with this flu.
\my other concern is that if I have had even a mild form...I have now infected about 20 people in the walk in.

Do you know that Mexicans who died were not just poor? That some of them were from wealthy, prep-school type families?

Does that change your perception of it?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
One last thing to 'ponder' I did not take the flu shot and my 80 yr old mother travelled with me and so far hasn't caught anything and i am on my 6th day of this now...so it is certainly interesting as I know some of you are sceptical about the flu shots..,.

Just something to think about...

You're 80 year old grandmother is in the age group that would be far less likely to have a bad response to this flu. People in the over 60 (probably over 55) age range have about a 33% chance of having "cross-reactive" immunity to this swine flu.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Today, this popped up...
From the CDC no less...

This will validate what many thinkers on this thread, and others here on ATS have concluded already...
There are many factors playing into the severe cases of this novel flu, and the deaths.

Interim guidance for use of 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine during novel influenza A (H1N1) outbreak

Objective
To provide interim guidance on which groups should be vaccinated with the 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23) to prevent pneumococcal infections during the outbreak of novel influenza A(H1N1).

Background
Influenza predisposes individuals to bacterial community-acquired pneumonia. During the 20th century influenza pandemics, secondary bacterial pneumonia was an important cause of illness and death and Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus) was reported as the most common etiology. Severe pneumococcal pneumonia associated with inter-pandemic influenza also has been reported, and S. pneumoniae remains a leading cause of vaccine-preventable illness and death in the United States. The current novel influenza A (H1N1) outbreak is evolving rapidly, and CDC continues to compile key information regarding risk of influenza, severity of illness and attack rate of secondary bacterial pneumonia among influenza patients. At this time, however, the role of pneumococcal infections among severe cases of novel influenza A (H1N1), such as those requiring hospitalization, is unclear.

Table. U.S. ACIP recommendations for use of pneumococcal polysaccacharide vaccine.

Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23)

Universal vaccination
All adults 65 years of age and older

Medical Indications
Persons 2 through 64 years of age who have one or more of the following long-term health problems:
chronic cardiovascular disease (congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathies)
chronic pulmonary disease including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and emphysema
diabetes mellitus
alcoholism
chronic liver disease, including cirrhosis
cerebrospinal fluid leaks
functional or anatomic asplenia including sickle cell disease and splenectomy
immunocompromising conditions including HIV infection, leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, multiple myeloma, generalized malignancy, chronic renal failure, nephrotic syndrome; those receiving immunosuppressive chemotherapy (including corticosteroids); and those who have received an organ or bone marrow transplant

Adults 19 through 64 years of age who:

smoke cigarettes
have asthma

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Looks like a "sideways" way of warning the public that they should be prepared against the possibility of developing pneumonia...

Time to call my doctor I guess.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
3 More Die of Swine Flu in New York City

NEW YORK (AP) -- New York City officials have reported three more deaths from swine flu.

The city health department announced the deaths on Wednesday, bringing the city's total to 12.

The city said that one victim was 30 to 39 years old, another was 50 to 59 and another was over 65. Officials wouldn't identify the victims further or say when they died.

Many thousands of New Yorkers are believed to have had swine flu. City health officials say most suffered only mild symptoms. Over 800 cases in the city have been confirmed

But the CDC says swine flu going away and everybody can forget about H1N1.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
[event:http://(link tracking not allowed)/bWes9]CRS Report For Congress[/url]

Congressional report on swine flu.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
African swine flu - apparently not to be mistaken for the human swine flu - Experts say that the virus resists inactivation and can persist in meat up to 15 weeks, processed hams up to six months and up to one month in contaminated pens.

2009-06-10 06:56:10 - Nigeria

Event ID: NGA-2009.06.10-223
Date & Time: 2009.06.10 06:55:38 [UTC]
Area: Nigeria, Delta State
Description:
The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed the report that African Swine Flu has been discovered in a certain part of Delta state. The Ministry, in a report by the special assistant on communication to the minister of health,Niyi Ojuolape, said the presence of the disease has been confirmed after consultation with the Delta State Ministries of Health and Agriculture. The ministry, however, said that African Swine Fever (ASF) affects only pigs and that it does not affect humans in any way. It stated also that it is not in any way related to the a(h1n1) influenza, otherwise known as swine fever, which has been ravaging the health world. Mr Ojuolape,however, assured the public that the case of Swine Flu has not been reported in Nigeria and that the government is doing a lot to monitor the events with a view to handling any eventuality effectively. Also, the Delta State Ministry of Agriculture has quarantined the affected piggery and has started culling the affected pigs to prevent the disease from spreading to other pigs. African Swine Fever (ASF) is however, a highly contagious, generalized disease of pigs caused by an iridovirus that exhibits varying virulence between strains, although different serotypes cannot be identified. Experts say that the virus resists inactivation and can persist in meat up to 15 weeks, processed hams up to six months and up to one month in contaminated pens. It is endemic in most of Southern Africa, and on the Iberian peninsula of Europe. Since the 1960s, outbreaks have occurred in France, Italy, Malta, Belgium,Holland, Cuba, Domican Republic and Haiti. Treatment and vaccine have not been discovered till date. The United States,the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibit the importation of live hogs and uncooked pork from any country where ASF exists, except if the products are commercially canned,hermetically sealed, and fully sterilized so it remains shelf stable without refrigeration; and the processes used have been proven to inactivate the virus.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Are these numbers fact?

Article from Japan Times - "In the U.S., around 9 percent of swine flu patients are hospitalized and 20 percent to 30 percent of (the 9 percent) are sent" to intensive care units"

search.japantimes.co.jp...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Swine flu suspected in SW Side woman's death

Swine flu is suspected of contributing to the death of a 26-year-old Chicago woman, authorities said today.
Edriana Ramirez, 26, of Chicago's West Elsdon community, died at 3:30 a.m. today at Stroger Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.
An autopsy is planned for Thursday.
Authorities would not say why they suspect the H1N1 virus, only that they were investigating Ramirez's case.
It takes a few days to confirm the virus known as swine flu, said Melaney Arnold, a spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Stroger Hospital sends a specimen to the state lab in Chicago, she said.
"As soon as we learn about a confirmed case, we make sure the local health department does too," Arnold said.
Illinois has confirmed five deaths from the virus, Arnold said.
"This is still going around, still circulating," she said. "People still need to take precautions, especially those with underlying medical conditions."

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Mixed messages again -

At GlaxoSmithKline PLC, spokesman Stephen Rea said the company was already working with a key ingredient of the swine flu vaccine to see how quickly doses could be produced. Other major pharmaceuticals like Sanofi Pasteur have also been working on a swine flu vaccine since WHO gave them a "seed stock" of the virus last month created by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Rea said it could take up to six months before large amounts of a swine flu vaccine are available. At the moment, GlaxoSmithKline is still making regular flu vaccine, which it expects to be completed by July.

After that, Rea said GlaxoSMithKline could speed up its swine flu vaccine production if a pandemic is declared. Once that announcement is made, the company would be obliged to fulfill contracts it signed with countries including Britain, Belgium and France, promising to provide a pandemic vaccine as soon as possible.
link to article

If a global outbreak is announced, countries would likely activate their own pandemic preparedness plans if they haven't already. That could mean devoting more money to health services or imposing measures like quarantines, school closures, travel bans and trade restrictions — some of which WHO opposes.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
60-year-old woman's death related to swine flu

VICTORIA - The first swine flu-related death in the Crossroads region has been confirmed at Citizens Medical Center by spokesperson Shannon Spree.

The 60-year-old female patient died Saturday morning, said Spree.

The name of the patient has not been released.

The patient had other medical problems which complicated treatment of the infection, according to a Victoria County Emergency Management release

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Victorian swine flu patients in Intensive care

FIVE swine flu patients are in intensive care and residents at three nursing homes are being tested for the potentially deadly virus.

A Department of Human Services (DHS) spokesman told Fairfax he could not say how old the five patients were or whether they had an underlying health condition that may have given them complications when they were infected with the virus.

"What the underlying causes of their illness is, I don't know They are certainly not well and need to be managed in ICU," he said.

"In one case, the person is in hospital because of trauma, so the H1N1 is unrelated."

In a written statement, Victoria's acting chief health officer, Dr Rosemary Lester, said health authorities were working with three nursing homes where a number of residents have reported flu-like symptoms.

"As is the usual practice in such instances, symptomatic residents have been isolated and movement of residents and staff has been restricted," the statement said.

"Action being taken also includes the restrictions of visitors to the facility until the cases have resolved. Nose and throat swabs have been taken from the symptomatic cases for testing at VIDRL (Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory)."

The DHS spokesman would not name the homes or where the five intensive care patients were being treated.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunieri
Are these numbers fact?

Article from Japan Times - "In the U.S., around 9 percent of swine flu patients are hospitalized and 20 percent to 30 percent of (the 9 percent) are sent" to intensive care units"

search.japantimes.co.jp...

To be honest, who knows? The US National MSM, the CDC/WHO, etc. haven't been sharing much information with the US public. Recently, that seems to be changing a bit because the flu is so widespread and there's been more than a few severe cases popping up.

I've scanned many local/state media outlets and hospitalization rate ranges vary from 1.5% to 17%...the Japanese media may have realistically gotten this average somewhere...many reports indicate that if one is hospitalized, then it is severe/intensive...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lethality of H1N1 Influenza Virus Increasing According to Latest Analysis of Virus Peptide Genomic Data

Boston Biotech Firm Reports First Rise in 76 Years of Replikin Count* of H1N1 Lethality Gene

BOSTON, June 10 /PRNewswire/ -- An analysis of the latest peptide genomic data for the H1N1 influenza virus indicates that the current global outbreak of H1N1 is increasing in its capacity for lethality. The new sequence data on PubMed of the past two weeks through June 10, 2009 showed an increase in the Replikin Count* of the Replikin Lethality Gene in the pB1 genomic area from a mean of 2+/-0.2 in 2008 to a mean of 3.2+/-3.7 in 2009 (p

new topics

top topics

<< 196  197  198    200  201  202 >>

join