It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 171
<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

You bring up a lot of good points and a lot of unanswered questions...

I'm burnin' fiber over here TRYING to find something to link these reports, but, nadda yet...very quiet on the western front Hmmm...

SWINE FLU UPDATE
www.niagarafallsreview.ca...

Man returning from NY first H1N1 case in Bahrain
www.alertnet.org...

U.S. Department Of Health To Spend Nearly $1 Billion On Influenza Vaccine
www.allheadlinenews.com...

Schools, kindergartens reopen in Hyogo, Osaka
www.yomiuri.co.jp...

vancakes: i feel so incredibly sick. it's like swine flu or something. 25 minutes ago from txt

Back Door:
Small Biotech Firms Could Reap Benefits From Flu Vaccine Initiative (Amex: HEB)(Nasdaq: NVAX).
www.pr-inside.com...

Media censorship and anti-liberal crackdown as June 4th Anniversary approaches
www.asianews.it...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Didn't get this in before we went to a new page just some math type food for thought here:

From Hx's Bloomberg article:

h

One in 20 cases is being officially reported in the U.S ., meaning more than 100,000 people have probably been infected nationwide with the new H1N1 flu strain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the U.K., the virus may be 300 times more widespread than health authorities have said, the Independent on Sunday reported yesterday.

OKAY So if we have 1 in 20 cases being reported then it isn't a mere 100,000 it is closer to 135,280 these are the one's in the hospital mind you as that doesn't count the ones that havent even been tested due to the so called "mild" version they have.

So we have only person's needing to be hospitalized being tested; this doesn't count the one's sent home to recover and be under quarentine if they are showing all of the symptoms.
So gestimating (is that a word
) that we have around 300-320 million people in the USA at any given time we could actually have numbers in the estimated range of 15,000,000 - 16,000,000 ( thats MILLIONS) people with the flu right now.

they just updated the bloomberg article again...
Swine Flu Is Spreading Wider Than Official Data Show (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 25-5-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The virus is mutating quite quietly. Everything is a different strain by now.

That being said. The Mexican totals are different because the demographics of Mexico are way different than the USA and Canada - the other two countries that have had this going for long enough for a partial picture to emerge.

This flu hits young people harder. Adults under 50 being the next big target. People over 60 (probably over 55) have about 1/3 chance of having antibodies to this virus.

Mexico has WAY more young people and adults, and way fewer in the over 50 age group compared with the other two countries.

Then you need to take into consideration population DENSITY. Denser population means easier spreading of the virus. Population density between Canada and Mexico is literally the opposite ends of the scale from each other.

Mexico - lots of young people and adults in prime adult years. Packed together tightly.

Canada - lots of older adults, way smaller ratio of children. One of the least dense populations on the second largest country.

The environment of the disease - that is the human population it is in - is the difference.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Hmmm...
Toronto swine flu victim had other medical condition: officials
www.cbc.ca...

Kansai kids return to school as flu threat fades
search.japantimes.co.jp...

REDBRIDGE: Woman catches swine flu
www.guardian-series.co.uk...

UK swine flu total rises to 137, new Ireland case
www.pr-inside.com...

HK reports 2 more H1N1 cases
www.straitstimes.com...

Swine Flu: United States Swine Influenza, H1N1 Case Report
www.imperialvalleynews.com...

Toddlers take flu count up to nine
www.thestandard.com.hk...

Flu Suspect Tests Negative for Virus in Bahrain
khaleejtimes.com

‘I think the response has been an overreaction’
www.theherald.co.uk...

Four Brooklyn Jewish schools shut down because of swine flu
www.jpost.com...

Flu: Worst could yet be to come
www.theherald.co.uk...

Latest Swine Flu Quebec News
www.swineflunews.org...

MMS Flu Advisory: DPH Updates Guidance on Flu Testing
massmed.typepad.com...

Govt to expand H1N1 prevention campaign
tvnz.co.nz...

Ontario investigates its first fatality associated with H1N1 flu virus
www.newswire.ca...

Two new cases of H1N1 flu in Alberta
www.660news.com...

Thomson Reuters Makes Disease Briefing On Influenza Covering H1n1 (Swine Flu) Publicly Available
pr-usa.net...

HealthWatch for May 25, 2009
www.wvnstv.com...

Pharmaceutical companies stand to make profit from ‘swine flu'
www.finalcall.com...

[edit on 5/25/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Canada says man with swine flu dies

TORONTO (AP) — Canadian officials are confirming that a Toronto man with swine flu has died. It is the second death of a Canadian with the virus.

Dr. David Williams, Ontario's Acting Chief Medical Officer of Health, said in a statement Monday that a 44-year old man with a chronic pre-existing medical condition died on May 23.

He says it's not clear what role swine flu played in the fatality. A coroner is investigating.

A 39-year-old Alberta woman with chronic, pre-existing medical conditions, died on April 28. An autopsy did not show whether the virus played a role.

Canada has more than 850 confirmed cases of swine flu.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Chicago-Area Patient Is State's 1st H1N1 Flu Death

A Chicago-area resident has died of complications related to the H1N1 flu virus, the Illinois Department of Public Health announced Monday. The patient is the first Illinois H1N1 flu-related death.

The patient had underlying medical conditions, according to IDPH Director Dr. Damon T. Arnold.

"With as many cases of H1N1 influenza that have been reported in Illinois, we have been concerned that there would be fatalities. We know the virus is still circulating in the state and I would like to remind everyone, especially those with chronic medical conditions, to continue taking steps to keep from getting the flu," Dr. Arnold said in a statement..

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Another victim in the US:

Illinois health officials say a person in the Chicago area has died of swine flu. It's the nation's 12th confirmed death from the illness.

Houston Chronicle

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Saskatchewan's H1N1 flu tally at 91 cases
www.leaderpost.com...

H1N1 confirmed at local private school
www.koaa.com...

Oxford toddler has swine flu
www.swineflunews.org...

Latest Swine Flu Saskatchewan News
www.swineflunews.org...

New measures introduced as swine flu spreads
www.swineflunews.org...

H1N1 virus: A plan for the worst
www.canadianbusiness.com...

A*Star Scientists Lead the Way in Deciphering the H1N1 Virus Structural Code
pr-usa.net...

Swine flu case will be out of hospital in days
www.thenational.ae...

Sydney swine flu lockdown for 2000
www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

Woman under quarantine for A(H1N1)
www.hindu.com...

Swine flu committee holds weekly meeting
www.gulfnews.com...

Officials urge public not to panic
www.gulfnews.com...

WHO declares 3 suspicious cases of A flu in DRC
www.afriquejet.com...

A/H1N1 flu cases rise to 17 in Ecuador
www.philstar.com...

Swine flu outbreak on Pacific Dawn brings Aust cases to 23
livenews.com.au...

US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) purchases GSK’s A (H1N1) influenza antigen and prop
pr-usa.net...

CSCS student tests positive for Swine Flu
www.gazette.com...

Russia Diagnoses 2nd Swine Flu Case
www.times.spb.ru...

AFL team on flu-infected plane
www.news.com.au...

Dockers on swine flu alert after interstate flight
www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Cambodia quarantines couple over swine flu fears
www.gulf-times.com...

Western faces closure
10 new cases of swine flu at school
www.greenwichtime.com...

Japan to lead way among countries of Asia-Europe Meeting, should flu pandemic occur
www.channelnewsasia.com...

MSF calls for step up in action against Chagas disease
www.tropika.net...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Here is a snippet from one of the many article you posted that I read so far seems very interesting the things that some of the scientist's over in the EU are bringing up...

Thousands of people have caught the virus in the U.K. and suffered mild symptoms, or none at all, over the past weeks, John Oxford, professor of virology at the University of London, told the Independent.

Already a Pandemic

Community spread of the new virus in a second region means WHO’s criteria for a pandemic has been met, said Michael T. Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy of the University of Minneapolis.
Britain’s Health Secretary Alan Johnson told WHO Director- General Margaret Chan at the organization’s annual meeting last week that disease severity and other determinants besides geographic spread need to be considered before the pandemic alert is raised to the highest of WHO’s 6-level scale.
“The move to phase 6 means that emergency plans are instantly triggered around the globe, and in the U.K. this would mean increased vigilance and activation of the UK’s own ‘inter- pandemic’ phases,” the U.K.’s Department of Health said in a May 18 statement.
At phase 6, many pharmaceutical companies would switch from making seasonal flu shots to pandemic-specific vaccine, potentially creating shortages of an immunization to counter the normal winter flu season, the department said.
‘Risk of Harm’

WHO is reviewing its pandemic response plans, including the prerequisites for a pandemic, in the wake of the swine flu threat, said Keiji Fukuda, the agency’s assistant director- general of health security and environment. A move to phase 6 would “signify a really substantial increase in risk of harm to people,” Fukuda told reporters during a May 22 briefing.
Some of the guidelines were prepared in anticipation of a pandemic sparked by the H5N1 strain of avian flu, which killed 61 percent of 429 people confirmed to have contracted that virus, Chan told the World Health Assembly on May 18. “This has left our world better prepared, but also very scared,” she said.
Rather than redefine what constitutes a pandemic, health officials should help people understand the current threat may resemble the 1957 or 1968 pandemics, in which fewer than 4 million people died, rather than the 1918 Spanish flu, blamed for killing about 50 million, said Osterholm at the University of Minneapolis.
“The bigger problem is scientific integrity,” he said. “If they want to change the definition, then go ahead. But don’t say that we are not in phase 6 right now because we don’t want to go there.”

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963WHO declares 3 suspicious cases of A flu in DRC
www.afriquejet.com...

This article just taught me a new word.

asthenia (wiki)

Asthenia (Greek: ασθένεια, lit. lack of strength but also disease) is a medical term denoting symptoms of physical weakness and loss of strength.

A condition in which the body lacks or has lost strength either as a whole or in any of its parts. General asthenia occurs in many chronic wasting diseases, such as anemia and cancer, and is probably most marked in diseases of the adrenal gland. Asthenia may be limited to certain organs or systems of organs, as in asthenopia, characterized by ready fatiguability.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
SO glad to see there is still some "solid intel" on this coming through,the other thread has scared me 1/2 to death,LOL!
I had to find a new bench to park on.

All I can say is that I keep "hearing" about people "being sick" down here but honestly,everyplace I've been in the past two days has been so crowded that I left.People are out in DROVES,lthe weather's nice.

Reports from peeps on the beaches (if you'll call them that,LOL!) in South Texas say that it's elbow to elbow(with many from Mexico included) and that many are coughing all over the place.

I'm smelling it coming in another wave.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by irishchic]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Besides the "Arm-Twisting" over the economy stuff, Level 6 criteria calls for a viable treatment program...

This is one of the two reasons 6 has not been implemented yet...they just don't have the right vaccine yet and even then 6 months to process 4.5B doses...

And...what's this going to do for people already infected...nadda...

And...who's to say it will even be the same in 6 months?

@ Aeon: Glad I could help yer language skills

UK swine flu total rises to 137, new Ireland case
www.etaiwannews.com...

Australia: New South Wales #H1N1--Message for passengers on Pacific
Dawn
bigmedicine.ca

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

Reports from peeps on the beaches (if you'll call them that,LOL!) in South Texas say that it's elbow to elbow(with many from Mexico included) and that many are coughing all over the place.

I'm smelling it coming in another wave.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by irishchic]

Natural selection
atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Eleven new A/H1N1 flu cases confirmed in Europe
news.xinhuanet.com...

PORTFASTFLU - Portable and Automated Test for Fast Detection and Surveillance of Influenza
www.ehealthnews.eu...

Confirmed A/H1N1 flu cases rise to 13 in Colombia
news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

I feel the same thing coming on up here too. People aren't even covering their mouths when they sneeze all over everything in sight. It is so thoughtless to others it isn't even funny. They figure it isn't a "bad" flu so it doesn't matter if they give it to someone else! Makes me so angry

My son tried the same thing in front of a lady who had just done it and I rather loudly threw a tissue in his face and told him to be more respectful of others and cover it!

He only has allergies but it worked she walked away in a huff....and I went with out buying my lunch meat she so thoughtfully snotted

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Canada, the USA, and Europe are backwards in their viral infection socialization strategies.

In China, people wear masks when they are sick. Not because they don't want to get sick from someone else.

Children now are being taught to cover a cough or sneeze with their elbow, or into their shirt. I personally do the in the shirt one because I'm more likely to get splatter coverage.

Covering with your hands is just putting what you didn't want in your nose or throat and putting it on your hands. Yuck.

People are actually quite aggressive in their non-care of viral spread.

Good for you though. Only in challenging people's lack of care, their AGGRESSIVE lack of care, and modelling correct behaviour will change happen.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Government to Push H1N1 Vaccine Propaganda
www.infowars.com...

Epidemics, Fearsome and Fascinating
www.nytimes.com...

H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) - CDC Update - Tenth Death Confirmed, May 25, 2009
enewspf.com

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I have many of those thoughts...keep thinking that aside from the "published explanation" that somehow arsenic in the water in Mexico could be the culprit there has to be some other factor! So many conflicting reports leads me to believe that there is a mass disinfo campaign going on. Glad to know I am not the only one with the nagging thought in the back of my mind that something was different down in Mexico.

Stars for all posts! Good intel everyone! Expecially Hx3_1963 for all his info! Cheers to Memorial Day, to all those we honor!

And for certain at this stage in this outbreak, how long can they blame U.S. deaths on underlying conditons? Is this due to the fact that the treating physicians are not administering full treatment? Hummmm.....

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Thanks for the continued updates even though it seems that the news has dried up on this, over our holiday weekend.

I am starting to see people coughing around were I live and have actually seen a few people wearing masks. I was kind of surprised to see that.

[edit on 5/25/2009 by pcgeek]

new topics

top topics

<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join