It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 161
<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Japan closes 4,000 schools over swine flu fears
news.yahoo.com...

Noncha_canada: Swine Flu is spreading rapidly in Japan!! 175 people got it so far since last week. 1 minute ago from web

No Guidance on How to Rein In the Flu
www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 5/18/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Star 4 U

Second line

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antmar

For now...I think I'll post on the "Bacon" thread...

Swine Flu news and updates thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems to have more traffic than this thread...

Nothing against anyone here, just want to get the maximum exposure, without cross-posting

A lot are know to "bounce" back and forth anywoo sooo...

Y'all can U2U me if you think it's to drastic...

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cameoii

What still confuses me is how we are told over and over that almost all of the cases that are not mild are due to underlying health conditions. How many children have previous conditions to exacerbate this flu?

This is also @ Fullmoonfairy and severedsoul.

Dec. 12, 2006 -- Nearly one in 10 American children now has asthma, a sharp rise that still has scientists searching for a cause, a CDC report concluded Tuesday.

An estimated 6.5 million children under age 18 (8.9%) are now diagnosed with the disease. The rate has more than doubled since 1980, according to the report.

www.webmd.com...

The sounds of too much "goop" in the lungs after a virus.

Almost any kind of infection, be it bacterial or viral hits our lungs really hard.

Sometimes — about 100 times a year in Washington — someone dies from the disease.

She woke up in Harborview Medical Center, where she wound up in the intensive care unit.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Asthma is the most common chronic disorder in childhood, currently affecting an estimated 6.2 million children under 18 years; of which 4 million suffered from an asthma attack or episode in 2003.

Asthma morbidity continues to pose a significant personal and societal burden despite the availability of effective medications to manage the disease. Many children in the United States who should receive preventive medications do not receive them. Minority children and children living in poverty have a greater burden from asthma compared with white non-poor children and the same children are less likely to receive adequate treatment and are less likely to have family or community support for their asthma management.

In addition, the incidence of allergy in children is on the rise. The biggest increases are being seen in heavily populated areas.

grants.nih.gov...

I would guess that many of these patients with "underlying health conditions" are asthmatics. This may well be the reason they are holding back on what the underlying factors are as there are a great many people with asthma and they may indeed start to panic.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I'm gonna miss you Omega

"We're seeing increasing numbers of people going to emergency departments saying they have fever and flu, particularly young people in the 5 to 17 age group, " Frieden, who has been named by U.S. President Barack Obama as the new CDC director, told a news conference.

www.reuters.com...

I'm still wondering what percentage of those youths are going through puberty. Maybe the changes that are going on in their bodies due to puberty makes them more vunerable to this flu.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

After reading your post, I thought of this article that I found on the same subject!

Other Illness May Precede Worst Cases of Swine Flu

Underlying conditions like asthma, diabetes, heart disease or tuberculosis appear to put swine flu victims at greater risk of hospitalization or death, doctors from the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Hi, good to see you back.

If i'm not mistaken they seemed to say that quite a few of the fatalities had underlying respiratory conditions, of course i'm sure some of those previous articles have mysteriously disappeared

Makes sense that asthmatics would be hit hard especially if this flu causes cykotene storms, as most any infection causes a reaction in our lungs.

Take care, time for me to hit the hay.

Edit for grammatical error

[edit on 5/19/2009 by chise61]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I had not thought about asthma...good catch. I do believe (from personal experience) that asthma is very over diagnosed in the US, though. I have known a few children that do trully suffer from the disease, so it is a possibility. It would go a long ways toward explaining why the underlying condition is not being reported.

The number of confirmed swine flu cases at Houston’s Travis Elementary School doubled Monday to 24, the nation’s second largest outbreak in a single setting thus far reported.

Travis Elem. Update

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Cameoii]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
IMO, this is why we have such rapid spreading of this virus. I also believe the numbers would be proportionate with the number of people watching MSM as their only source of information.

A new national poll indicates that only one in six Americans is worried that someone in the family will get the H1N1 flu.
The poll also suggests that most Americans, 54 percent, think that the federal government's response to the flu has been appropriate. But nearly four in 10 questioned said the government has overreacted.

American's concern easing

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

19 May 2009 -- As of 06:00 GMT, 19 May 2009, 40 countries have officially reported 9830 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection, including 79 deaths.

WHO update 33

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

A 16-month-old infant may be the latest U.S. victim of swine flu and the second fatality in New York City as the deadly virus that has infected an estimated 100,000 Americans continues to spread.

Possible second NYC death

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Sorry for overposting this morning. I just want to make sure the information gets out there:

A German tourist has died in Thailand while being kept under surveillance for suspected swine flu, a public health ministry spokesman said Tuesday.

If confirmed to have contracted the A(H1N1) virus the 59-year-old woman would be the first fatal case of the disease in Thailand, said spokesman Suphan Srithamma.

Suspected H1N1 death in Thailand

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

You know i was thinking about that.. and the fact that it is striking the younger crowd more than anyone else.. i have a therory, may be off base but, remember when you were younger, riding in a lawn chair in the back of a pick up, playing in the dirt and mud and running in and grabbing something to eat, mud still caked on your hands and face.

Now about what 25 years ago, they introduced antibactireal soap, and it went from there, now days you can get about anything antibactireal.

So what if the underlying condition is the fact that they pushed so much of that on the general public that their immune system is so weak it cant defend from a real virus. and by admiting this they would be admiting that they did wrong...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

ABSOLUTELY!!! I have talked about this many times! Things were a lot different when I was growing up (and sounds like you as well); no antibacterial this/that! Just soap! A good friend of mine told me her mother said, when all of this antibacterial stuff came out, that she shouldn't buy any of it and just stick with good 'ole soap and water.

Sometimes technology is great, but I also think in many ways it has ruined the "good old days" in more ways than one. Sorry for the ramble, but I was happy to see someone else with these exact thoughts.

FMF

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Now the husband of the 1st victim is speaking out saying she had no "underlying medical conditions".

hosted.ap.org...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Good Morning! Stars for all!

WHO Updates International H1N1 Situation: 40 Countries Reported 9830 Cases
Country Cumulative total Newly confirmed since the last reporting
Total 9830 79 1001 5

sharing.govdelivery.com...

WHO teleconference of the Ad hoc Policy Advisory Working Group on Influenza A (H1N1) vaccines

www.who.int...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Even when my kids were young, the doctor suggested letting them play outside and get "good and dirty" rather than be obsessively clean with them. He said it would build up their immune system.

Also, we are told how hard this is hitting children, and that many of the hospitilized are children, but only 1 of 6 deaths has been under age 30?? What do we make of that? I guess this flu hits kids the most and really hard but they are still better able to fight it off than adults....I'm so confused!

I am trying to compile as much information as possible on all the US fatalities from this disease to see if there is any pattern that we are not being told about. The three in TX are pretty well documented as is the NY assistant principal, but the others have almost no coverage. Does anyone have any links that go into detail on those cases?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Ahh yes the good ol days
we didn't even come back in the house to eat lol. As soon as we had our chores finished my aunt would let us pack up our lunches take our bikes and be gone till suppertime. We'd go play by the lagoon, in the prarie, catch crawfish, garter snakes, etc and sit down and eat our pbj sandwiches, and you know we were dirty as heck
i always let my boys get dirty when they were playin as young boys, mud fights etc. I don't use all that antibacterial stuff either, good ole soap and water works just fine.

A lot of articles about asthma touch on that subject and believe that this recent war on germs may be a contributer to the dramatic rise in asthma.

One theory speculates that widespread use of cleaning products, antibiotic cleansers, and immunizations have helped spur a rise in asthma. While a steady -- but moderate -- dose of germs can stimulate infants' immune systems early in life, that robustness may be lost when young children don't confront immune challenges, the theory says.

www.webmd.com...

Some have formulated a counter-intuitive notion: that the current asthma epidemic may in part be fueled by our clean, germ-free lives.

The hypothesis, says Dr. Eyal Raz, a researcher at the University of California, San Diego, is that "all of this sterility eliminates from our daily lives the useful impact of microbes."

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

So you may be right maybe all this anti bacterial stuff is really adding to the secondary infections from this flu because our bodies aren't used to being exposed to bacteria as much as we were in the past, and if this flu hits our immune systems very hard the bacteria really becomes a problem.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Toddler’s Death Stokes Flu Concerns

Updated, 12:08 p.m. | New York City health authorities are investigating the death of a 16-month-old child as a possible case of swine flu.

The boy, identified as Jonathan Zamora Castillo of Corona, Queens, died at 10:20 p.m. Monday at Elmhurst Hospital Center, less than an hour after being brought in with a high fever, the hospital announced. The child’s 3-year-old sibling, who was also brought to the hospital, was treated and released, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Tuesday morning.

Seems odd that a 16 month old would die 3 hours after going to the hospital with a fever and the hospital would send the sibling home who was also sick. You would think they would want to keep a eye on the sibling as a percautionary measure just to be safe. But I guess thats how New York is doing it throwing caution to the windas per the PTB and Bloomberg.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That is tragic! I can not imagine any health care professional exercising such lax watchfullness! Hopefullly they will moniter the child at home carefully!

PAHO Briefings on Influenza Epidemic, Wednesday May 20

new.paho.org...

2008-2009 Influenza Season Week 18 ending May 9, 2009
www.cdc.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join