It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 157
<< 154  155  156    158  159  160 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cameoii
Don't know how long I'll be on, but I am trying to do my part:

A hospital official says a school assistant principal has become the first New York City death linked to the swine flu virus.

Houston Chronicle

That is really sad and I bet we will hear alot about this from his family.

If they had listened to the principle and closed the school when he asked them to; this may have been avoided.

[edit on 5/17/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

Yes, very sad. This second wave hit NY and TX approximately 3 weeks after the first outbreak of H1N1 was noticed. It follows ecoparity's and cloud's information almost exactly.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Im sure there is many many more...you know...just get that feeling...will just go an check me email!!!! Off topic? sorry x

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
US Centers for Disease Control: Swine flu Directors Briefing, 14 May 2009: /wlswine
about 7 hours ago from web by wikileaks

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Swine flu link probed in Ark. man's death

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Pulaski County's coroner says investigators are probing whether a 28-year-old offshore oil worker's death may have been caused by the swine flu.

Coroner Garland Camper tells The Associated Press that the man died Saturday morning at a Little Rock hospital after suffering from flulike symptoms for six weeks. Camper says samples taken from the man tested positive for several strains of flu, requiring his office to explore the possibility swine flu played a part in the death.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
A little more information about the death in AR. Still no confirmation of swine flu:

Pulaski County Coroner Garland Camper said the 28-year-old went to the hospital Friday night for treatment and died early Saturday morning. Camper said tests came back positive for more than one strain of the flu, requiring his office to explore whether swine flu played a part in the death.

Swine Flu link probed in Ark. man's death

**Personal note: I went to memorial services for my Grandfather today. My cousin is a preacher. He told us that he had been in the hospital every day this week to provide comfort to those in his congregation that were hospitalized with the flu. The lady he saw before the services today has had COPD for years but coped with it well until she cought the flu this week. Her family has now been told she may not make it through tonight.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The bold in the article below is mine. Can anyone on this board explain why this virus is capable of mutating in months rather than years as other strains do? Wasn't this ability part of what ecoparity's sources said led them to lean toward the virus being engineered?

In Bangkok, a medical expert revealed the influenza typeA (H1N1) virus was changing its structure rapidly.

"This means there's a risk of it mutating and becoming resistant to available drugs," said Prof Dr Thiravat Hemachudha.

He heads the World Health Organisation's Collaborating Centre for Research and Training on Viral Zoonoses at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Medicine.

He said structural change in other strains has taken years, not months like with this virus.

"So relevant authorities must be fully prepared regarding drugs and vaccines against type A (H1N1)," he said.

Suspected cases in Chiang Mai

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

17 May 2009 -- As of 06:00 GMT, 17 May 2009, 39 countries have officially reported 8480 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

WHO update 31

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
H1N1 flu spread in N. America may extend into summer

TORONTO -- Spread of H1N1 flu in North America may not dampen down in coming weeks as was first expected, some health officials and flu experts are now suggesting.

Some are now planning for the possibility the new virus may continue to trigger infections into the summer, not petering out in the way seasonal flu strains typically do as temperatures rise in the Northern Hemisphere.

"This is what worries me," says Dr. Arnold Monto, an influenza expert at the University of Michigan's School of Public Health.

"We are seeing a fair amount of circulation of the swine flu virus. And I'm not yet convinced that it's going to go away completely."

"It may dampen down a bit as schools close. But I think we're still seeing increasing transmission in the U.S. And I think in addition you have far more transmission in Canada than some people are saying -- it's not just imported cases and circles around imported cases."

Monto's concern is echoed by Dr. Allison McGeer, an influenza expert at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I know many of us believe that this novel flu could be the result of an accidental release and the strange media actions part of the cover-up. I found this article in TIME that discusses how safe our biolabs are in the US:

Worse, there is no centralized regulatory body that oversees bio-labs or their work — 17 federal agencies are involved in biological research in some way, but no single agency is tasked with tracking and managing the risks.
Lack of oversight means lack of policing, which often leads to underreporting of potentially fatal accidents. Labs are required by law to report mishaps with select agents immediately to the CDC, but that doesn't always happen.
The CDC then dispatched investigators who uncovered a host of other violations, including unauthorized experiments, failure to report three other infections of Q fever, failure to have all technicians vetted by the FBI, and missing pathogens and infected animals. "Unfortunately, the CDC's August investigation revealed not only shortcomings on Texas A&M's part, but also shortcomings on the part of CDC's own oversight," said Bart Stupak, chairman of the House Oversight and Investigations Committee. "It turns out that the CDC had inspected the very same Texas A&M lab prior to the disclosure of these incidents and found only minor problems."

TIME

OK, strength gone. I will check back in on you guys later.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
And yet another death. I read earlier rumors of the New York Asst. Principal passing away. And now it appears that is true, unfortunately!!!!

www.drudgereport.com...

Rest in Peace

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cameoii
A little more information about the death in AR. Still no confirmation of swine flu:

Pulaski County Coroner Garland Camper said the 28-year-old went to the hospital Friday night for treatment and died early Saturday morning. Camper said tests came back positive for more than one strain of the flu, requiring his office to explore whether swine flu played a part in the death.

Swine Flu link probed in Ark. man's death

**Personal note: I went to memorial services for my Grandfather today. My cousin is a preacher. He told us that he had been in the hospital every day this week to provide comfort to those in his congregation that were hospitalized with the flu. The lady he saw before the services today has had COPD for years but coped with it well until she cought the flu this week. Her family has now been told she may not make it through tonight.

On your personal note!! If she does pass away from the flu we will never hear about it because that is an easy on for TPTB to hide.
How many people have died from this already that are being hidden? It makes me sick to know that alot of people have probably already died from this but they think we cant handle knowing about it!!!

GGGGRRRR

We have also discussed on here how this may very well not burn out for the summer and now the one article posted states that!!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Monday, May 18, 2009 New-Flu Infections Reach 129 In Japan, Aso Calls For Calm Response

TOKYO (Kyodo)-- The number of cases of new flu infections in Japan reached 129 as 33 more infections were confirmed, according to Kyodo News calculations.

Prime Minister Taro Aso called for calm Monday amid the rapid spread of a new influenza in Japan. As of the time he made the comments, 92 infections had been confirmed in the government's official tally.

Aso said the Japanese government has no plans to ask citizens to refrain from holding meetings or scale down corporate activity.

He made the remarks at a meeting of the government task force on the H1N1 influenza epidemic.

This is zipping right along in Japan. I am stunned in how fast it has moved in one day.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I for one am oficially on notice thanks to the EXCELLENT exchanges of info here on ATS!

Seriously: no one in the several states I have visited recently shows any sign of remotely believing that this obviously deadly virus is anything at all to be concerned about.
I'm considered a "raving loon" because I'm really trying my best to inform and convince those close to me that it's no laughing matter and what I keep hearing is "Well...if it's SO bad,why isn't it on the news???"

Damn and double damn good question.

My own family yelled at me to "Stop scaring people and shut up..." So,I will as far as they are concerned.

ecoparity absolutely nailed 99% of the details that continue to emerge quite a while ago I do believe and although I've thanked him personally,I now do it publically as well...he endured some ridicule and still he kept on supplying facts for us to consider,a brave move IMO.

So NOW,the million-dollar question is: where do we as "people in the loop of reality" go from here and do we simply wait and see or begin to take a more pro-active approach and hunker down?The possibility of mutation so soon after the onset is terrifying.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
You have to be very calm and selective about how you tell people about things.

When someone declares why is it not in the news if it is so important you answer their question, calmly.

The reason it isn't in the news is because people don't want to hear about it. That the news isn't about reporting the facts that are important - the news are all corporations, and their primary responsibility is to provide profit. Therefore, reporting what people don't want to hear about and therefore driving their custom away is against their PRIMARY responsibility to make profit.

Reporting what is true and factual is not their primary responsibility. Usually it isn't even in their top 3 responsibilities, if it is in them at all.

See, people understand this argument. They know it to be true. Corporations provide PROFIT. When they are publicly owned, they are LEGALLY BOUND as their primary responsibility to provide profit to their shareholders. When they are owned privately, the poeple owning them still aren't doing it as a public service.

FURTHER, people who create, interpret and report the news are not the smartest people on the planet. At best, as a group they follow the same bell curve for intelligence as everyone else. (this probably isn't true - the smartest people will probably generally shear off into more intellectually challenging endevours).

Expecting them to somehow be solely responsible to inform everyone about what everything means, means that you are expecting that the average joe who knows a keyboard or a microphone can and should interpret everything happening on the planet for you that is important. That doesn't make any sense when you really think about it.

When you actually know a few people in this industry, you should realize that you are expecting some primadonna, actor-wannabe, or social drunkard to tell you what is important, why it is important, and what it all means everyday. Not the best in their field. Not someone who is interested enough to educate themselves about something. Just some person who flitters from subject to subject with an indepth knowledge that can get them through the next five minutes. THAT is who you think should be tellling you what everything means. That is pretty close to collective insanity when you consider it.

[edit on 2009/5/17 by Aeons]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I can put it even more simply. MSM report only what they're told to report - they're just propoganda puppets with TPTB pulling all the strings.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmar
reply to post by Aeons

I can put it even more simply. MSM report only what they're told to report - they're just propoganda puppets with TPTB pulling all the strings.

That is the sort of answer that will make people tune you out and not care about anything further you have to say.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Good Day...Again!!!

Well it seems today has been full of major events that will have to get the attention of SOMEONE...

W.H.O. May Raise Alert Level as Swine Flu Cases Leap in Japan
www.nytimes.com...

Japan Swine Flu Cases Top 100; Schools Shut, Workers Sent Home
www.bloomberg.com...

# 1000+ Japanese schools in Hyogo & Osaka prefectures closed temporarily on swine flu h1n1 fears, 130 cases confirmed #swineflu #h1n13 minutes ago from web

# Significant events in swine flu h1n1 overnight: death in NYC, troubling case growth in Japanese students #swineflu #h1n15 minutes ago from web

Swine flu cases in California
www.sacbee.com...

Peru confirms 2nd swine flu case in US man
www.chron.com...

Three Lehi schools report swine flu cases
www.swineflunews.org...

# Fatih: Ministry of Health Confirms First Two Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) in Turkey : Date: May 17, 2009 21:38 UTC Risk: Low Turkish n..about 7 hours ago from twitterfeed

# Hyderabad: 23-Year-Old Student Tests Positive For Influenza A (H1N1); First Confirmed Case in India: Date: May 16, 2009 20:27 UTC Ris..about 7 hours ago from twitterfeed

Maui jail closed briefly over swine flu scare
mlive.com

GLOBAL: Swine flu epidemic spreads
www.universityworldnews.com...

Study abroad programs re-evaluated
Officials take measures to protect students
www.swineflunews.org...

Talk about a bad idea!!!
Cruise Lines to Resume Calls in Mexico
www.cruisecritic.co.uk...

ehenning: 130 ppl confirmed with H1N1 in Osaka. So I'm going to Korea. Sigh. 1 minute ago from Twittelator

Back Door:
Swine flu could have ‘notable economic effects’: IMF
birlaa.com...

US demands royalties on influenza A(H1N1) Mexican swine flu vacci
www.swineflunews.org...

Unitika Leads Japan Medical Stocks Higher on Swine Flu Report
www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 5/18/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
On the "perfect storm" idea of what is happening out there.

Mexico has FIVE flus running around. There is at least one cold running about.

At least one person who died had more than one flu at the same time. I expect that that dip in numbers in Mexico that happened at the beginning of the month might have been people whose immune systems had been previously compromised by H1N1, then they contracted something else afterwards.

The killer aspect of the H1N1 is inflammation.

If you hit someone who has been compromised by the virus with something else that ALSO causes inflammation then you've double your chances of causing that person harm. I think that 5 or 6 oddly late season circulating viruses that trigger inflammation might fit that bill.

The cold I am getting over - It triggered a cascade inflammation response when I was just about over it. I have a very mild form of psoriasis, and psoritic arthritis. I get a flare up of arthritis a couple of times a year, and nothing too bad. Little achy in the fingers or wrists when the weather change is drastic.

Arthritis is an inflammation response, caused primarily by your immune system incorrectly targetting your joints. I've had the worst flare up of arthritis I've ever had, and it is directly caused by this cold I'm almost over. This inflammation is partially in my lungs as well. I can confirm this not because I've had any particular problems with breathing but because my breathing got easier when I started to go whole hog on repressing this significant inflammation response in my body.

If someone has a "mild" response to the H1N1, and as swine flus do, it represses their immune system for 6 months afterwards.....AND then a couple of weeks after the flu they get hit by this cold. Well then, you'd have someone whose inflammatory response goes wild.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I think they're going to need a bigger map on FluTracker soon...or use smaller text in their "balloons" :cry:

Another "Genius" running for head of the IMF?!?

Osaka governor asks health minister to relax measures against swine flu
mdn.mainichi.jp...

Osaka Gov. Toru Hashimoto called Health, Labor and Welfare Minister Yoichi Masuzoe to request that guidelines to relax measures against swine flu be issued, citing the possibility that current steps could bring city functions to a halt, Hashimoto revealed at a press conference on Sunday.
More at Link...

Swine Flu Outbreak Reaches Japan
05.18.09, 12:40 AM EDT
www.forbes.com...

The number of cases of swine flu in the UK has passed the 100 mark as 14 more people are diagnosed with the virus.
8:11pm UK, Sunday May 17, 2009
news.sky.com

Hong Kong Quarantines 23 After Third Swine Flu Case (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

Hmmm...
Back Door:
# Telegraph: A motion of no-confidence to be tabled demanding that Commons speaker stand down, something not seen in 300 years. half a minute ago from BNO Headquarters

# UK's Commons speaker emergency statement expected at 16:30 CET after facing revolt over handling of expenses scandal. 2 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

[edit on 5/18/2009 by Hx3_1963]

top topics

<< 154  155  156    158  159  160 >>

join