It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 154
<< 151  152  153    155  156  157 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Committee says lab-sample theft not a big deal

WINNIPEG — It's the federally appointed watchdog that's supposed to stand guard on behalf of the community which is home to the National Microbiology lab.

But the local community liaison committee says a major security breach inside the facility containing the world's deadliest pathogens is nothing to bark at.

Members of the committee met with scientific director Dr. Frank Plummer and a communications official from the lab on Friday to probe how a former Winnipeg researcher was able to walk out of the lab with 22 vials of biological material in January. Some of the vials included genes from the deadly Ebola virus.

www.winnipegfreepress.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Went back to work May 10. Feeling much better now; body is in "post-illness 'mop-up' mode", occasional cough, slightly runny nose, energy level off-peak but getting stronger. Fortunately, my cubicle has very high padded walls, so the few stray "piglets" (if in fact they are remnents of H1N1) are well contained.

I made the decision to take nothing but "over-the-counter" medications, despite having been prescribed Avelox, an antibiotic intended for respiratory infections.

Perhaps I am just a big wussy, but having read the possible sid-effects Avelox can produce (tendonitis, ruptured Achilles tendons, for up to 2 months AFTER ending treatment!), I just couldn't take the darn things.

Why would I be prescribed an antibiotic for a suspected viral infection, especially since no tests were done to confirm the presence of a bacterial infection?

Very odd.

I am still curious about the possiblity of training dogs to recognize the "scent" of this potentially killer flu. If a second, more deadly wave of this bugger is expected in the coming months, it is easy to see how rapid identification and possible isolation might mean the difference between a few deaths and mass casulties.

Augmenting the abilities of the few available labs to identify possible outbreaks, quickly, could go a long way toward saving lives. If something as ubiquitous as a dog's nose could be utilized toward this goal, so much the better.

I'm also curious about the frequency with which "sub-" or "retrograde" fevers have been reported with this outbreak: especially having experienced this symptom myself during my recent bout.

A retrograde fever (a body tempurature reading of below the "normal" 98.6F) seems to be more common with this strain, as has been discusssed within these pages. If this phenonemon is, in fact, a unique characteristic for this strain of influenza, it seems to be a topic quite thoroughly ignored by the MSM and public statements by government officials.

As to the lack of general topical coverage from the MSM; before I'd cleave too heavily to any "dark conspiracy" theory about keeping the public ignorant, I'd chalk it up to a simple case of mis-perceived "relevance".

Many local news organs used to provide much more extensive and in-depth coverage of news topics ranging far outside their "local" markets. Over time, and in an effort to maintain their hold, their "market share" over their audiences, these agencies began to shift their coverage priorities. The focus turned more on the local, the immediate. News stories, both print and electronic (TV) began to forego a world perspective for a "backyard" perspective; in-depth analysis gave way to "sound- bite" journalism.

It sold. And the world was never the same.

So if we seem to be missing out on what is really happing with this pandemic, it may not be be because "They" want to keep us in the dark to prevent a panic, it may be because we've already told The Powers That Be...

"We Can't (and do not want to) Handle The Truth!"

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Just caught up as been a bit ill over past few days....

for all the hard work, especially the Omega Man, stars for all

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I agree with everything in your post, but you give too much credit and leniency with the school officials. Their actions were exonerated by the CDC guidlines, but having the children in school while this thing is still a huge unknown, is exactly what the TEA wanted. IMO, they are motivated by greed at the highest levels, and show incompetency and lack of interest at the local levels with few exceptions. Don't forget that school administrators are also those put into a position of trust that we must learn to question if we are to come to the truth ourselves.

@Bhadhidar: I tend to agree about the media coverage to an extent. In the early days of this virus the coverage was getting the attention of the public so they ran with it. Now interest has waned with the assurance that everything is OK and MSM moved on to the next headline. But...It was also the MSM that made sure every headline told us that everything was OK, so they are still culpable of pushing the complacency on us. Why do you think that is? Was it because they were told to do this or just coincidence that they all decided the story was getting boring at the same time?

**Personal note....the low body temperature has me a little worried. As you all know from my previous posts, my oldest child was very sick about a week ago and I started feeling rough about the same time. The only reason I didn't try to persuade him to go to the doctor was because he never had a fever and I understood that this virus gave a high temp. Today, I was doing fine until about 2PM and suddenly I felt like I was hit by a truck full of sickness. It's hard to draw a breath without going into a coughing fit. I have a sore throat, headache, earache, extreme weakness, and overall soreness. My own temperature is slightly below normal which is strange because I feel feverish. I would rather take some of the wise advice I've gleaned from these swine threads and take care of myself at home. However, my breathing is something I am not comfortable trusting myself to treat. If it doesn't improve soon, I will seek medical attention.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Cameoii]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Wow, not really anything in the news today. I've probably checked 50+ news sites and zip. It is the weekend though, news is almost always slower on Saturdays and Sundays.

The WHO are reporting 8451 confirmed cases.

WHO: Influenza A(H1N1) - update 30

16 May 2009 -- As of 07:00 GMT, 16 May 2009, 36 countries have officially reported 8451 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 2895 laboratory confirmed human cases of infection, including 66 deaths. The United States has reported 4714 laboratory confirmed human cases, including four deaths. Canada has reported 496 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Costa Rica has reported nine laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

Link: www.who.int...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is 4 days old but notice none of the 48 cases are 60yrs or older.www.ask.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well my link did not work very well but if you go to there health section you will see none of the confirmed cases are 60 or older.Going to check this out in other states.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Good Day All!

Backs acting up today so just a quick check-in for now...

Isles' swine flu tally reaches 21 as 6 kids confirmed with virus
starbulletin.com

Two more confirmed with swine flu
news.bbc.co.uk...

Now, Swine Flu enters India
www.thestatesman.net...

Turkey Confirms First Swine Flu Case as Numbers Gain (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

Belgium confirms 5th swine flu case
www.etaiwannews.com...

Flu Leads Rikers to Cancel Visits for Some Inmates
www.nytimes.com...

Swine flu closes more NYC schools, spreads in Asia
1 hr ago
www.kare11.com...

Swine flu case reported in Janesville
gazettextra.com...

Age an Indicator of Flu's Pandemic Potential
pennlive.com

Eight Japan school students positive for swine flu
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Queens Assistant Principal Mitchell Wiener, near death from swine flu, shows improvement - family
www.nydailynews.com...

Ward county, North Dakota, USA
1 confirmed case, 2 probable cases.
Source: North Dakota Department of Health
Date: May 16 2009, 04:15 GMT

Burleigh county, North Dakota, USA
1 confirmed case, 1 probable case
Source: North Dakota Department of Health
Date: May 16 2009 04:15 GMT

Beauregard, Louisiana, USA
1 suspected case
Source: Louisiana Department of Health
Date: May 16 2009

St. Martin Parish, Louisiana, USA
1 confirmed case
Source: Louisina Department of Health
Date: May 15 2009, 18:00 GMT

St. Charles Parish, Louisiana, USA
3 confirmed cases
Source: Louisiana Department of Healt

Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, USA
7 confirmed cases

Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, USA
1 confirmed case

Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, USA
2 confirmed cases

Iberia Parish, Louisiana, USA
2 confirmed cases, 1 suspected case
Date: May 16 2009, 18:00 GMT

East baton rouge, Parish, Louisiana, USA
4 confirmed cases
Date: 15 May 2009, 18:00:00 GTM

[edit on 5/16/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by blc4r4

Many times you will not see any reporting on an elderly person with this flu anywhere. The simple fact is a large percentage of the time they go from having a mild bug to bacterial infection and or pneumonia almost overnight. That would bypass any testing. You have to remember that most persons of that age group (55-75) have some serious health problems reported in the last census round. Couple that with an already weak immune system and you end up not even being able to claim a flu etc.
For MANY years my mom was a home health nurse for the terminally ill, mostly persons with lung problems and/or cancer that was beyond repair. NEVER at any time was she told to test or have them tested for flu or viral infections. If anyone got sick it was straight to the icu..period.

to add:
A very ironic thought just occured to me now. My mom is terminally ill with the same illness's that she tried so hard to bring peace and comfort to so many over. (add in angina and high blood pressure)
werid that it would happen that way after how many people she helped pass over with as little pain as possible.(yes she stayed at their side with the family until it was over)

[edit on 16-5-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
WHO flu talks end without deal
1 hour 27 minutes ago
www.abc.net.au...
(per JBA2848)

WHO official warns: world will squabble for swine-flu vaccine
monstersandcritics.com

A/H1N1 death toll rises to 68 in Mexico
news.xinhuanet.com...
www.google.com...

H1N1 flu confirmed in Turkey, India
tvnz.co.nz...
news.bbc.co.uk...

9 injured in suspected cases of bird flu and Sohag lake
Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 16:05
pandemicinformationnews.blogspot.com

Dutch Tourist Hospitalized in Bali Declared Free of Swine Flu Virus.
www.balidiscovery.com...

Another Malaysia student has A (H1N1) flu
Sunday May 17, 2009
thestar.com.my

KatElizabethxx: i'm up...and sickk
i seriously think i might have the swine flu less than 20 seconds ago from web

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Did you read that crap in this one?

WHO flu talks end without deal
1 hour 27 minutes ago

Poor countries argued they should have access to the resulting vaccines, especially if the samples came from the developing world.

But rich countries led by the United States wanted pharmaceuticals companies to be able to claim the vaccines as intellectual property and earn royalties on them.

That really makes me mad!!! why are we any better than anyone else that gets this! This would just slow down the production for other poor countries while people die. It isnt always about the freaking money!

Intellectual property is a pile of steaming # when millions of lives are at stake!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

Yep I did see that and I agree completely!!!

WE knew how this would play out before it was even mentioned though...right?

It is all about the money...always has been...whatever the commodity/resource/intellectual property is...

I wish we had a better system is place...something that wasn't based on the possession/collection of thingys that lead to classes/castes, but, it seems to be all we have at the moment

MrHokie: 16 May 2009 -- 36 countries have officially reported 8451 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection. 22 minutes ago from web

Hmmm...more person 2 person infections not linked to original/travel cases...

New flu cases climb among Japan high school students
Sat May 16, 2009 10:56pm EDT
www.reuters.com...

TOKYO, May 17 (Reuters) - The number of cases of H1N1 flu virus in Japan climbed to 17 on Sunday, a health ministry official said, with media reporting more cases emerging after high school students from nearby cities in central Japan came down with the disease.

Kyodo News said an additional four students had been confirmed as having caught the virus, which would bring the nationwide count to 21.

Many of the affected students, who attend high schools in Kobe and Osaka in central Japan, have not been abroad, media reported.
More at Link...

H1N1 Virus: The First Legal Action Targets a Pig Farm

www.time.com...

AshiAkira: Number of confirmed H1N1 flu cases tops 20 here. Could be a factor for WHO to raise alert level to six, experts say. 7 minutes ago from web

dcornman: Swine flu masks at LAX, really? H1N1 is so 2 weeks ago. 15 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Hmmm...
A link from another of my threads:
Peak Oil, Pandemic, and 78 Dead Scientists
www.policestateplanning.com...
(per ofhumandescent)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

We did know that was how it would play out. I suppose it is just seeing it in the news that makes it worse. It is a very sad world we live in.

person to person transmission with no travel conections. Think they will up it to Level 6?

I dont think they will. Safeguarding our economy is far more important.

But when there is none of us left alive to spend money we will show them!
Take that money hungry SOBs!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

I believe I stated "basically" the same thing somewhere else

They're not thinking very far ahead are they????

Who's going to work the farms and clean their toilets when we're all gone eh?

China confirms third swine flu case on mainland
Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:54 AM
www.thejakartapost.com...

[edit on 5/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

I dont think they will. Safeguarding our economy is far more important.

I have been just a lurker today....keeping up with everything.....under the weather a little as well.....But I wanted to say thanks for keeping up the good work of info...

Not sure if they are protecting the economy or not...........My conspiracy side believes they are attempting to destroy the economy for singular control........so if its not for the economy my only other theory is to depopulate mankind.......which has been openingly discussed by many of the elitists.....very evil I know......

Good Day All...

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Well there all doing the bilderberg meeting for the next few days to plot there agendas. They say US Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner’s public schedule is mysteriously empty for the next two days so im sure hes there.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
peterosbornuk: Of the 173 people sick enough to be hospitalized with swine flu h1n1, over half are in the 5-to-24 age group #swineflu #h1n1 2 minutes ago from web

peterosbornuk: Average age of confirmed and probable cases of swine flu h1n1 is 15 years. Two-thirds younger than 18. #swineflu #h1n1 4 minutes ago from web

Here's some nice Intel on the WHO criteria for classifying this crisis...much more technical background is in the article...

Pandemic Information News
Date: Wed 13 May 2009
pandemicinformationnews.blogspot.com...

~
WHO declines to assign severity scale
-------------------------------------
The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that it is unable to assign
a severity scale to the influenza A (H1N1) epidemic for the reason that
disease characteristics and responses of countries vary. Dr Sylvie Briand,
with the WHO Global Influenza Programme, spoke today [13 May 2009] at a
media briefing in Geneva. According to Dr Briand, the WHO pandemic alert
level phases are mainly based on the transmission of the virus and its
geographical spread, while "the severity itself is assessed by other
means." Currently, the pandemic alert level has remained at level 5 out of
6, indicating community-based outbreaks in a single WHO region.

The severity of a potential pandemic is based on 3 factors: "the
[characteristics of the] virus, the vulnerability of the population, and
the intervention we can put in place to reduce the impact of severe
disease,"
Dr Briand said. Assessing severity is important for helping
countries determine their response to an outbreak, but at a global level, a
severity index is "not very helpful" because "severity will vary from place
to place," she said. Dr Briand pointed out that while wealthier countries
may have the resources to mount a more effective response to an outbreak,
some developing parts of the world such as West Africa are already used to
coping with epidemics and may be at an advantage due to having healthcare
systems in place. This is referred to as the "resilience" of a country, she
said.
Much more at Link...

Notice the bold in the article...*I Believe* this is what is holding up the Level 6...

XDarkest_HourX: I've had a frustrating day. But on the not so bright side 4 cases of swine flu confirmed in here C()r0n@ 1 minute ago from txt

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Swine Flu Cases At 57 In Louisiana
Cases Include 7 In Plaquemines, 3 In St. Charles
www.wdsu.com...

May 16, Indiana: New Novel H1N1 Flu Cases Confirmed
www.munciefreepress.com...

Japan confirms 20 more cases of swine flu
Tokyo, May 17, 2009
hindustantimes.com

Japan's health ministry announced Sunday that 20 more teenagers have been confirmed as having swine flu, as the government shut down schools in affected cities. The country's tally is now at 25.

The students, who attend several high schools in the western prefectures of Hyogo and Osaka, tested positive for the H1N1 virus over the weekend and are recovering at local hospitals, ministry official Takuya Nemoto said.

The news of the rapid spread of the virus at schools came a day after Japan confirmed its first domestic case of swine flu in another student in the western port city of Kobe, about 270 miles (430 kilometers) west of Tokyo.

The students have not traveled overseas recently, but tested positive for the same strain that has killed more than 70 people worldwide, mostly in Mexico.

The government immediately ordered schools closed in parts of the affected cities. Kobe also canceled its annual festival and other events planned for the weekend.
More at Link...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Here's a Re-Post from the other day with the full? text of the article?

From FluTracker Comment Section

Influenza A/H1N1 virus has become more aggressive

"MEXICO CITY, May 15.

Influenza A/H1N1 virus mutated. As the radio «Mayak", said Director of the National Center for disease control in Mexico. According to officials, the changed virus can lead to new outbreaks of influenza, and more aggressive than the current one.

Similar cases have been registered in the United States and Canada. Now scientists have conducted a series of bioispytany. They will get a complete gene sequence of the virus and thereby confirm or refute these assumptions are dangerous.

Earlier, the Minister of Health of Mexico stated that the mutation of influenza virus is much more serious the AIDS virus..."

Use Google Translator to read in english...

www.rosbalt.ru...

Pure stupidity:

Mom swap: Pig suckles baby tigers at zoo
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Tigers and Pigs Swap Roles at Sri Racha Tiger Zoo
www.thaizer.com...

Why is it stupid:

Probable tiger-to-tiger transmission of avian influenza H5N1.

"During the second outbreak of avian influenza H5N1 in Thailand, probable horizontal transmission among tigers was demonstrated in the tiger zoo. Sequencing and phylogenetic analysis of those viruses showed no differences from the first isolate obtained in January 2004. This finding has implications for influenza virus epidemiology and pathogenicity in mammals."

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

(PDF) www.cdc.gov.tw...

www.recombinomics.com...

www.recombinomics.com...

I mean, good grief! Are they just begging for it or what?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Developments on swine flu worldwide
Saturday, May. 16, 2009 - 7:41 pm
www.swineflunews.org...

CDC swine flu report is ‘gross underestimate’
Published: May 16, 2009
Updated 7 hours ago
www.swineflunews.org...

The Center for Disease Control’s official report of 4,714 cases of confirmed or probable swine flu could be underestimating the impact of the disease by around 45,000 cases, according to the deputy director of the CDC’s influenza division.

In a press conference yesterday, Dr. Daniel Jernigan took note of the difficulty in estimating how many Americans are infected with either seasonal or novel influenza(like swine flu) at any given time. “With the amount of activity we are seeing now, it is a little hard to know what that means in terms of making an estimate of the total number of people with flu out in the community.” However, when asked how many actual cases of influenza might currently exist nationwide, Jernigan acknowledged that the CDC numbers represented a gross underestimate. He told journalists, “if I had to make an estimate, I would say…probably upwards of maybe 100,000.”

Although up to 30 million Americans come down with seasonal influenza annually (7-10 percent), more than two dozen states are reporting unusually high levels of flu-like illness at a time of year when the respiratory disease usually disappears, health officials reported yesterday.

According to the CDC’s weekly H1N1 flu update, “about half of all influenza viruses being detected are novel H1N1 viruses.” The rise in both types of influenza implies that swine flu has a significant role in the spread of seasonal flu, as well. If Jernigan’s estimate of 100,000 cases of influenza is accurate, there could be more than 50,000 cases of swine flu in the U.S. “We would be expecting to see the season to be slowing down or almost completely stopped. We know the outbreak is not localized but is spreading and appears to be expanding throughout the United States. This is an ongoing public health threat,” Jernigan declared.
More at Link...

Five new possible cases of swine flu
Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon confirmed the fresh A(H1N1) probes while disqualifying 11 previously suspected cases.
news.stv.tv...

# Two new cases of swine flu h1n1 have been confirmed in England, bringing the total number in the UK to 87 #swineflu #h1n125 minutes ago from web

# In 1918 pandemic, nearly half the dead were 20-40yrs old, over 95% under 65. In 1957, 36% of dead were under 65, in 1968 48% #swineflu #h1n1about 1 hour ago from web

twinelm: @MargieThiel I hope you feel better and it isn't the swine flu! Some areas are getting hammered 3 minutes ago from web

shugarig: increasing confirmed patients of swine flu with deadly speed in japan. what'll happen next? 3 minutes ago from sobees

top topics

<< 151  152  153    155  156  157 >>

join