It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 125
<< 122  123  124    126  127  128 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

OK...just had to double check...ya never know

What we know about swine flu, and what we don’t
www.lrb.co.uk...

Influenza virus has only eight genes. The molecular structure of the most important proteins they code for is known in intimate detail. The coming and going of its epidemics have been studied by statisticians continually since the 1840s. But predicting pandemics remains a fools’ game.

It falls into the category of Alvin Weinberg’s ‘trans-science’ – a question of fact that can be stated in the language of science but is unanswerable by it.

Weinberg’s examples focused on the impossibility of predicting the probability of extremely improbable events. There have only been three influenza pandemics in the last century: in 1918, 1957 and 1964. The uncertainty is massively amplified by evolution – the random and frequent genetic mutations and the swapping of genes between bird, pig and human viruses.
More at Links...

The Path of a Pandemic
amarquet.blogspot.com...

How one virus spread from pigs and birds to humans around the globe. And why microbes like the H1N1 flu have become a growing threat.
Laurie Garrett
NEWSWEEK
From the magazine issue dated May 18, 2009

Around Thanksgiving 2005 a teenage boy helped his brother-in-law butcher 31 pigs at a local Wisconsin slaughterhouse, and a week later the 17-year-old pinned down another pig while it was gutted. In the lead-up to the holidays the boy's family bought a chicken and kept the animal in their home, out of the harsh Sheboygan autumn.

On Dec. 7, the teenager came down with the flu, suffering an illness that lasted three days. He visited a local clinic, then fully recovered, and nobody else in his family took ill.

This incident would hardly seem worth mentioning except that the influenza virus that infected the Wisconsin lad was unlike any previously seen. It appeared to be a mosaic of a wild-bird form of flu, a human type and a strain found in pigs.

It was an H1N1 swine influenza. Largely ignored at the time, the Wisconsin virus was a step along the evolutionary tree, leading to a virus that four years later would stun the world.

[edit on 5/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
tips4u: Bloggged 2 Fairfield Students Test Positive For H1N1 Virus - WFSB: -
5 minutes ago from web

tips4u: Bloggged Springfield girl, 11, has swine flu - The Republican - MassLive.com: -
2 minutes ago from web

Africa Prepares For Possible H1N1 Flu Outbreak Amid Concerns About HIV/AIDS, Other Diseases
www.medilexicon.com...

Hmmm...

Robert Rector: Life in the time of swine flu
www.sgvtribune.com...

Just this past week, I performed a number of death-defying acts, each one so profoundly heroic that strong men trembled and weak men cried.
more at Link...

lindahuynh: Can't breathe properly... the air's too dry, I need a humidifier. I'm still sick with the H1N1. I'm a bit #isse% off. !@#$ 4 minutes ago from web

caviglez: People are cr@zy!! H1N1 virus aka. Swine flu... new aka zombie flu... funny spit and if it's true... well I can't wait to kill some zombies!
5 minutes ago from twidroid

Back Door:
Do you need to stock up the bunker?
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Health Department confirms first case of H1N1 flu in Vermont
www.burlingtonfreepress.com...

Hmmm...
informationonhe: Swine flu shows up in Yellowstone County (Helena Independent Record) #fitness - http://(link tracking not allowed)/K5Vlc (expand) half a minute ago from web

H1N1 Flu Case Update in Johnson County, Kansas
Saturday, May 09, 2009
www.infozine.com...

Golfview Elementary Closing Due To Swine Flu Scare
Saturday, May 09, 2009 11:02:21 PM
www.cfnews13.com...

Swine Flu In Tulsa Schools
5/09 11:10 pm
www.fox23.com...

Four more confirmed H1N1 cases in Nebraska
new.khastv.com...

Swine flu met with vigilance, not panic
www.dailygazette.com...

Alberta hog producer describes H1N1 ‘nightmare’
www.edmontonjournal.com...

Swine Flu: Guidance and Resources for Clinicians
jookie.egloos.com...

Flu trackers focus on cases in Southern Hemisphere
www.newsday.com...

Tourism may suffer after swine flu discovery in Brisbane
www.thewest.com.au...

attilacsordas: seems like Illinois is an H1N1 hotbed 1 minute ago from Tweetie

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Key developments in the H1N1 flu outbreak, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and government officials:
www.twincities.com...

Ministry of Health Influenza A (H1N1) Swine Flu Update - 32
10 MAY 2009
www.nzdoctor.co.nz...

H1N1-Infected Hog Herd Partially Culled
www.cfra.com...

Flu? Don't blame the pig
www.latimes.com...

Back Door:
Need for flu vaccine is questioned
Congressmen wonder if H1N1 funds would be better spent on defense.
www.ajc.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Hey see you are still awake! I woke up seating like mad and had to get up couldn't stand it anymore.

There is a thread about the numbers cover up in Arkansas, thought you might want to take a look the guy/girl is looking for some form of stats or news on the people there as they where told no one had it at all then 5 confims the next day. Is talking about filing suit to force them to release the numbers.
Woner if he/she realises that the whole world is fudging the numbers to pervent a full scale panic over it? Anyhow thought I would let ya know since I am sitting here being bored.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

You get up and now I'm getting ready to go lay down fer a quick Re-Gen

A quick search on key words gets me nadda...you got a linky fer it

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 24
www.who.int...

10 May 2009 -- As of 07:30 GMT, 10 May 2009, 29 countries have officially reported 4379 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 1626 laboratory confirmed human cases of infection, including 45 deaths. The United States has reported 2254 laboratory confirmed human cases, including two deaths. Canada has reported 280 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Costa Rica has reported eight laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Argentina (1), Australia (1), Austria (1), Brazil (6), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Colombia (1), Denmark (1), El Salvador (2), France (12), Germany (11), Guatemala (1), Ireland (1), Israel (7), Italy (9), Japan (4), Netherlands (3), New Zealand (7), Panama (3), Poland (1), Portugal (1), Republic of Korea (3), Spain (93), Sweden (1), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (39).

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Linky my friend! Sowwy forgot that one

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My son is demanding I go lay down again
Geeze one lil trip to the ER and they act like you are gonna die! Get some rest hunny am heading in for some myself....

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Thanks for your update!

Great to see that you're doing a little bit better now!

Breathing problems is the most scary thing one can ever have together with a heavy flu - been there, done that! - and it's not fun at all!

Keep fighting it, whatever you have! - I really hope that you recover soon without to much complications!

Peace be upon you girl!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Good Day All...Again!
(Think Forrest Gump)

Japan: First Cluster of Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Confirmed in Four Individuals Returning from Canada #swineflu8 minutes ago from web

Four new cases of the 2009 H1N1 influenza A virus have been confirmed in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties, Kansas15 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Stockholm County, Sweden: 1 confirmed caseThe infected man is a born in 1984 who received flu-like symptoms when he came home after a tri..about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

(Unc. Cases Summary), Iowa, USA:about 2 hours ago from twitterfeed

(Unc. Cases Summaru),Thailand: 1 suspected case 9 Probable Source: The Nation Date: 10 May 2009, 03:32 GMTabout 3 hours ago from twitterfeed

Ionia County, Michigan, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Michigan Health Dept. Date: 9 May 2009, 20:30 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

Clare County, Michigan, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Michigan Health Dept. Date: 9 May 2009, 20:30 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

Van Buren County, Michigan, USA: 1 confirmed case. Source: Michigan Health Dept. Date: 9 May 2009, 20:30 GMTabout 5 hours ago from twitterfeed

Japan ramps up swine flu checks
3 hours ago
www.google.com...

Two travelers taken to hospital for observation
www.info.gov.hk...

Swine flu turns 'dream' farm into slaughterhouse
500 quarantined hogs killed to prevent overcrowding
www.edmontonjournal.com...

Pandemic potential: is intensive pig production responsible?
www.tracingpaper.org.uk...

Swine flu confirmed in Alberta woman who died
May 9, 2009

EDMONTON - The death of a northern Alberta woman last week is Canada's first associated with swine flu, but no one knows if H1N1 killed her, officials said Friday.

The woman, identified by family members as a 39-year-old who checked herself into hospital in High Prairie, Alta., with asthma problems, died April 28. Doctors didn't suspect the flu virus. On May 5, her mother, who shared a house with her on a northern Alberta Metis settlement, was found to have a mild form of the disease caused by the H1N1 virus. That's when the provincial government took a closer look.

On May 7, a provincial lab confirmed the dead woman had the same virus, Alberta officials said Friday.
More at Links...

Press Release on highly infectious Swine Influenza Virus in Mexico and other Countries
source: Republic of Botswana (9/5/09)
prgovbw.blogspot.com...

C14) 27/4/09: PRESS RELEASE ON HIGHLY INFECTIOUS SWINE INFLUENZA VIRUS IN MEXICO AND OTHER COUNTRIES.

As of April 24, 2009 WHO reported a flu like illness in Mexico which was responsible for more than 882 cases and 62 deaths due to pneumonia, following the surveillance that started on the 18th March, 2009. The virus responsible for this infection was confirmed to be Swine Influenza type A/H1N1. This death toll rose to 103 by the 27th of April, 2009. So far beside Mexico, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Israel, France, Spain are also affected by the virus.

This virus is contagious and spreads from infected pigs to humans and from human to human through respiratory droplets.
It may also be spread when a person touch respiratory droplets on another person or on an object and then touches their own mouth, eye or nose, before washing their hands.
Hmmm...and I ask again...what's the right numbers?!?

Back Door:
(per switching yard)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Nebraska has three more confirmed cases of H1N1; total now is 19
May 10, 2009
www.omaha.com...

More H1N1 Flu Cases Confirmed In Kansas
New Patients In Johnson, Wyandotte Counties
10:33 am CDT May 10, 2009
www.kmbc.com...

Indonesia: Dutch tourist suspected H1N1 case
crofsblogs.typepad.com...

Zeinobia: there is unconfirmed suspected case of H1N1 in Egypt in Arish on the borders with Israel #H1N1 2 minutes ago from twhirl

US: CDC Confirms 2,532 Human Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) in 44 States, Total of 3 Deaths Nationwide #swineflu2 minutes ago from web

Confirmed cases of A/H1N1 flu in Asia-Pacific region up
2009-05-10 23:13:06
news.xinhuanet.com...

jesselin: 開新聞, 台灣剛產生第一個H1N1病例, Taiwan Just have the First H1N1 flu case. plurk.com... less than 10 seconds ago from web

China reports first suspected H1N1 flu
Sun May 10, 2009 8:59pm IST
in.reuters.com...

Swine Flu: Seven New Cases Confirmed In UK
news.sky.com

The latest news means that the total number of people in the UK to have contracted the disease has reached 55 - 50 in England and five in Scotland.

Three of the new cases are adults, one from the East of England and one from London, both of whom came into contact with previously confirmed cases.

There is also another adult and four children from the London area.More at Link...

Ontario, Canada: Total Ontario is 76 confirmed cases.10 cases in undentified regions.Source: Public Health Agency CanadaDate: 5-10-2009 T..11 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Alberta, Canada: Total cases confirmed Alberta 4613 cases in unidentified regions Source: Public Health Agency Canada Date: 5-10-2009 Time: ..11 minutes ago from twitterfeed

H1N1 flu tally 4,379 in 29 countries - WHO
Sun May 10, 2009 8:52am EDT
www.reuters.com...

* 4,379 people infected with H1N1 flu in 29 countries

* Big increase in confirmed cases in United States

* First death reported in Costa Rica

ZURICH, May 10 (Reuters) - H1N1 flu has infected 4,379 people in 29 countries, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Sunday, increasing its count by almost a thousand in a day.

The WHO tally tends to lag national reports but is considered more definitive.
More at Link...

AlessaB: I am actually seriosuly scared about swine flu now :/
less than a minute ago from mobile web

f13sh34t3r: I have all the symptoms to H1N1, have spread it to a lot of friends, and will probably have enough to spread by tomorrow, great hahaha
less than a minute ago from web

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
And then there were 4?
North Dakota has first probable case of swine flu
www.valleynewslive.tv...

And the forgotten frontier...
Probable case of H1N1 (swine) flu detected on ship in Alaska waters
www.hss.state.ak.us...

Franklin county, Illinois: 1 confirmed caseSource: Illinois Dept. of Public HealthDate: 5-10-2009 Time: 06:35 ( GMT+2)half a minute ago from twitterfeed

State says first H1N1 swine flu case confirmed in Jefferson County
May 10, 2009 - 9:45 AM
www.kfdm.com...

17 confirmed cases of H1N1 virus in Oklahoma
May 10, 2009 9:13 AM
krmg.com...

Four More Countries Confirmed To Have Influenza A(H1N1) Cases
www.bernama.com...

chnrdu: A suspect H1N1 A infected man was discovered yesterday, in Chengdu. 1 minute ago from TwitterFox

H1N1VirusNews: Thailand reports 'suspected' influenza A H1N1 case cli.gs... 5 minutes ago from WP to Twitter

Taiwan reports first confirmed H1N1 flu
www.nanyang100.com...

Panama reports its first in-country transmission of new influenza H1N1
10 May 2009
www.internationalsos.com...

The minister of health of Panama has confirmed the third case of the new strain of influenza H1N1 in the country. A young lady contracted the infection after being in contact with the first case, a young male adult, that was confirmed in the country two days ago.
More reports at Link...

How to Make or Choose a Surgical Face Mask for the Swine Flu Pandemic
www.ehow.com...

gaskarthian: last night was exactly what i needed however, today is not. it hurts to swallow and i probably have swine flu. is that still funny? 2 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Hey Hx3 good day to ya.........Hope all is well up north..........

US: CDC Confirms 2,532 Human Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) in 44 States, Total of 3 Deaths Nationwide #swineflu2 minutes ago from web

Ya the flu spread is slowing down..........Either they took the day off or they were told to hold the numbers...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Last I saw Michigan was up to 115 cases, I'm surrounded on all sides by infected county's

These numbers are bogus...a lot of states are now down to bare bones, severe hospital admitted case reporting now, so, there's a lot more we won't know about till that happens

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hey Good Morning to everyone!

Hope you get better soon!

Good to see you, and your fabulous info posting! Hope you got your much needed Re-Gen!

For your viewing displeasure! The Swine Flu Slide Show, presented by Web MD!

www.webmd.com...

Hey everyone, got to keep it light today, as it is Mother's Day. So, will be celebrating...Happy Mothers day to all of you dedicated mothers! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I have got lots of stuff to post, but do not have the time right now. I am also keeping numbers on the Conspircacy Poll, so if you have not posted, feel free...even if you have just been lurking! We want to hear from you!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MimiG

Welcome to the thread! We look forward to hearing from you your ideas and input! Nice to have you!

As Swine Flu Cases Mount, CDC Says U.S. Hasn't 'Dodged a Bullet'

FRIDAY, May 8 (HealthDay News) -- The swine flu outbreak in the United States is far from over, with hundreds of new cases being reported each day, federal health officials cautioned on Friday.

"I want to address an issue that's been concerning me, that has to do with a sense of having dodged a bullet, a sense that this is over," Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said during an afternoon teleconference. "While we have seen a lot of encouraging news in terms of severity, we continue to see hundreds and hundreds of new cases each day,"

www.ajc.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Mornng all, Happy Mothers day to all the mothers out there..

Hope everyone gets feeling better soon that are sick.

anyone do a number crunch on the % increase yesterday? I'm sure it was way more than the day before.. i'll have to dig and see if i can find the numbers. i think it was around a 600 plus increase for one day.

Yea i'm sure they are told not to report to much, it would send the U.S. into a finacial crisis over night.

We are finaly starting to see people take note here... work has been murder for me... insaine the amount of freight we have got in. Its only my tuesday and i'm freagin beat. and tonight is about a 4000 piece night. Not super heavy but compared to the past month or so, a lot of freight. Basicaly it means in 8 hrs i'm going to end up moving about 30K LBS of freight. I already hurt from the past 2 days, hope it lets up as the week goes on.
We are now sold out of the cheapo face masks, and hand jell. And we had our first person in wearing a mask last night. although i didnt have the heart to tell her that the mask she was wearing would do her no good.. but thats ok.
We had our first confirmed (not officaly yet) case reported, so now we are down to what 2 or 3 states left.

Just when vacation season is here.. YEA lets spread that bug everywhere. School will be out soon and people will be hitting the road to grandma's and all the hot vacation spots.

This will be interesting to follow in the coming months.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Something that has been on my mind is that on Memorial Day weekend we have the Indianapolis 500. Thousands of people from all over the world, the restaurants are packed, lots of parties, and the hotels are always booked weeks in advance.
I'm going to be really curious watching how this big weekend plays out...nothing at all has been said concerning flu precautions and how to deal with such a massive influx of people. But, I suspect it is something that is on our city planners minds.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yep Happy Mothers Day All Mommies!!!

Just got back from paying my respects to mine...she passed in Nov 1992, Cancer...

Dunn County resident tests positive for swine flu
www.dunnconnect.com...

Sangamon county, Illinois: 1 confirmed caseSource: Illinois Dept. of Public HealthDate: 5-10-2009 Time: 06:58 (GMT+2)about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

Ogle county, Illinois: 1 confirmed caseSource: Illinois Dept. of Public HealthDate: 5-10-2009 Time: 06:55 (GMT+2)about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

Swine flu spreads through Illinois
May 10, 2009
www.suntimes.com...

The H1N1 swine flu continues to spread in Illinois, according to the state Department of Public Health Web site, which lists 466 confirmed cases.

Chicago Public School officials closed Northside Learning Center in Jefferson Park on Friday because the absentee rate was three times what it should be this time of year. It will remain closed on Monday.
More at Link...

No sign of swine flu in India: officials
www.sindhtoday.net...

Uncomfortable facts about the swine flu outbreak
www.grist.org...

@ FMF: Yeah you got it! Good for You

Another Post:
(per Ecoparity)

Back Door:
King: Bad economy puts more families on the streets
www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hmmm...
120133127: 110 Confirmed swine flu cases and 2 Deaths in TEXAS
less than 20 seconds ago from web

Swine flu totals updated for Missouri and Kansas
Sun, May. 10, 2009 12:58 PM
www.kansascity.com...

The CDC has notified the Alaska Dept. of Health and Social Services that a crew member onboard the Serenade of Seas, a Royal Caribbean ship currently traveling through Alaska waters, is recovering from a probable infection with H1N1 swine flu. It's Alaska's first suspected case. 2 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Four New Cases of H1N1 Confirmed in Kansas; Total Now 22
12:22 PM May 10, 2009
www.wibw.com...

Algeria quarantines Ukrainian suspected of infected with swine flu
www.kuna.net.kw...

Drops to 18 number of new suspected cases of influenza in Brazil
portal.rpc.com.br

How I Believe I May Have Contracted the Swine Flu H1N1 Virus
www.associatedcontent.com...

With swine flu, we're all in this together
hosted.ap.org...

frankjoswald: Just learned IL has most reported swine flu cases. WI is No. 2. Spent 4 hrs in a domed park filled with 45,000 fans from. both last nite.
less than a minute ago from TwitterBerry

Back Door:
Aid worker: Shelling kills 378 civilians in 'no-fire' zone
www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Suspected case of swine flu reported in mainland China
www.cbc.ca...

Overcrowding cited as reason for pig cull at quarantined Alberta farm
www.cbc.ca...

top topics