It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Baptism actually required for salvation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You speak of wanting proof as if you'd change your mind but why bother with pretense? The truth is, no amount of proof or evidence would satisfy someone like you. By the sound of your vitriol, your mind is set and hardened.

The "proof" has never been hidden from you. Prophecies have come to pass, the dead have been resurrected, incurable afflictions have been wiped away, millions have born witness to the miraculous but this is all somehow not enough for you.

God has moved heaven and earth to show you proof. And if His efforts are lost on you what success could anyone else possibly have?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by monkcaw

monkcaw:

Hello to you!
I do not believe one needs baptism to be saved. This comes because of the thief on the cross next to Christ. When he believed and came to understand that Jesus really was the Son of God is when he repented. There was not anyway he could be baptised but Jesus told him he would be with him in paradise.

But I do believe if one can be baptised they should be. Jesus was and because of his baptism we are shown the importance of the purpose of it.

The full benefit to be derived from the observance of baptism is not merely the spiritual blessing that results from obedience to a positive . Only as the true significance of baptism is understood be the subject can he realize the full value of the rite. "Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins." (Acts 2:38). "Arise, and be baptism a cleansing from sins" (22:16). But in what sense is baptism a cleansing from sin? Evidently it is not a real cleansing from sin, for various reasons.

First, it is clear from the Scriptures that salvation is, in its nature, not dependent upon and outward rite. Our sins are not washed away by the baptismal waters, but be the blood of Christ (Rev. 1-5, 7:14). That blood is applied on the conditions of repentance and faith (John 3:18; Acts13:39).. 1 John 5:1). Also, it would be objectionable that one's salvation should be made dependent upon the act of another. If one should truly repent and believe on Christ for pardon, but no qualified person was available to immerse him, who will dare to say that is such an one should did unbaptized he would be lost? The penitent thief on the cross had no opportunity for baptism, but Jesus assured him of salvation nevertheless. Again baptism is not a means to nor a prerequisite to salvation.

The Apostle Paul was converted and even received his call to preach on the Damascus Road (Acts 26:13-19). Three days later at the hands of Ananias he recieved the Holy Ghost. "Whom the world cannot receive." It was after all this that Ananias urged his baptism to wash away his sins. But his sins had certainly been washed away by that time. Therefore, the washing away of sin here intended can be only a ceremonial cleansing.

Baptism has still further significance. It represents the death and resurrection of Christ as the cause of salvation, and is symbolic of the accomplishment of that purpose in the person who is baptized (Rom. 6:4). It points to both Christ and the believer. it is fitting that the atonement of Christ should be emersion from the water of the subject his testimony to the world that he has died to sin and the world, and that he has been resurrected to a new life of holiness in Christ.

This is a public time of our testimony and out desire to be dead to the world. Also, a wonderful time of fellowship of sharing and celebration with other Christians.

Just my thoughts,

Peace to all,
Grandma

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I always thought that baptism was just a public ceremony declaring your change in beliefs, your new decision or whatever; but isn't what determines whether you're 'saved' or not.....
I mean, like the guy on the cross that was saved before Jesus died, if you don't have the opportunity to make that public declaration, then how can you be condemned? Obviously it is something related to being 'saved' but not required for..as far as I can tell...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
No, baptism is a tradition of man as presented today.

If by baptism you mean realizing the errors in your way, and then "washing" away your previous way and change to a better path, then sure. But that in itself has nothing to do with dipping your head in the water and such.

Most things like this are likened to being like doing this, and then people stuck in literal do the things they are being likened to(wash away under water).

I can see how realizing your errors and changing them away can be likened to "washing away your sins", but I think it's pretty silly to believe that you do that by literally dipping yourself under water.

I consider such physical replacements such as dipping yourself under water to be part of the deception to keep people from seeing the true meaning.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Short answer: Yes, to have salvation, you must be baptized, which means to whelm fully in liquid, or "cover" where the "holy spirit" will come upon you.

The reason for this, is in order for life to be renewed, it must literally be renewed, as it has been from the beginning.

To "whelm" in water is to procreate with a spouse of equal duty, "a mate", and the two become one flesh....a new creation.

People will say it is everything but what it is. If you believe God to be true, it is now time to start seeing truth for what it is.

The only salvation one can truly receive is to be remembered by the living.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I do not know how much theology the thief understood. He did have a couple of things going for him. He believed Jesus was some sort of spiritual king, and he was repentant.
Repentance and being forgiven is how the salvation that Jesus worked out is applied to us. Just believing that Jesus came to this world for our salvation does not exactly do anything for us if we do not have it applied to us personally.
John 3:5 "Truly. truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God"
mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join