It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven People in U.S. hit by Strange New Swine Flu

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

All the stuff you'd normally use , eg :

Toilet paper, kitchen roll, fairy liquid, soap powder, strong disinfectant, headache tablets, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, tampax for your wife, deoderant , vitamins and so on

Water (if it got really bad there may be disruptions to supplies ?), cooking oil, ketchup, stock up on herbs and spices you use alot of, flour and yeast for baking bread, lots of carton juices, squash for the kids, tinned fruits and vege...cheese and butter to freeze...packet sauce mixes ...tea, coffee, sugar

I'm going to plan a 14 day menu which I'd rotate and so will buy enough to cover 6 months of these meals plus all other household bits and I'll be sticking to a very basic menu. I'll fill the freezer too with protein based stuff and frozen vegetables

Candles, spare batteries, matches, cheap camping cooking set just in case of any problems with gas/electric supplies, wind up torch , some masks

I'm thinking of sorting gas canisters for a calour gas fire we have in the garage....maybe this is a bit paranoid but we have wondered what happens if lots of staff who normally run the power plants fall ill ?

Activity books for the kids. Collect magazines and all sorts of other stuff they can use for crafts, pritt sticks, go to the charity shop for cheap books for you and your wife in case of being stuck at home for a long time...

Anything you think you can flog - stuff you don't need-start getting rid of it on ebay now for extra money...we are going to do that this week. If you or anyone else are on benefits apply for a social fund loan this week , they give a lump sum in advance then deduct a small amount weekly to repay it

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I wonder if the people that recovered are descendants of people that survived the pandemic in 1918 and may have something in their gene pool that gives them a natural antibody, or maybe does something that makes it less severe for them ?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Ok, I'm getting really angery !!!! They keep calling it the swine flu. Did they or didn't they say it was a combination of swine, avian and a human flu? if this is the case, then their stupid swine flu vaccine will not work. They need to be more aggressive in stoping the spread now!!!! By them down playing the emergency to stop panic actually makes people not take it seriously and won't take precautions to stop the spread.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
They are inspecting incoming travelers? We should be doing the same darn thing. CLOSE THE BORDER YOU IDIOTS!

That won't help, coz viruses are much smaller then bacterias and can crawl through virtually undetected no matter how many microscopes the government puts at the border crossing.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Good question! I have been wondering about that too!
If I find anything on it, I will post it here...

Ok so I am not the only one wondering about this!
Swine flu worse in Mexico than US, but why?

Why has the swine flu engulfing Mexico been deadly there, but not in the United States?...

...."The question of why the virus appears to be more virulent in Mexico is one that we are looking intensively into," the CDC's Schuchat said. "Rather than speculate, it's important for the science to lead us on this."

www.seattlepi.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Alex Jones will be doing a special segment tonight 8:00 on
www.inforwars.com

He also has this on his site:

“This strain of swine influenza that’s been cultured in a laboratoryis something that’s not been seen anywhere actually in the United States and the world, so this is actually a new strain of influenza that’s been identified,” said Dr. John Carlo, Dallas Co. Medical Director (video clip here).

Was this a slip-up or an admission that this new super-strain of swine influenza was deliberately cultured in a laboratory and released?

video here

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Have you come across any articles that state the ethnicity of the people that recovered ? I've checked for that info in all of the articles that i've read, but can't find any mention of it. It'd be interesting to find out if those that recover are of European descent. They have already made a connection between European descendants of the black plague survivors and a gene that prevents the HIV virus from binding in the white blood cells of these descendants. So it could also be possible that they may have a gene that helps fight off various strains of the flu.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Some of you are overreacting here.

24 April 2009 -- The United States Government has reported seven confirmed human cases of Swine Influenza A/H1N1 in the USA (five in California and two in Texas) and nine suspect cases. All seven confirmed cases had mild Influenza-Like Illness (ILI), with only one requiring brief hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

www.who.int...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Have you come across any articles that state the ethnicity of the people that recovered ? I've checked for that info in all of the articles that i've read, but can't find any mention of it. It'd be interesting to find out if those that recover are of European descent. They have already made a connection between European descendants of the black plague survivors and a gene that prevents the HIV virus from binding in the white blood cells of these descendants. So it could also be possible that they may have a gene that helps fight off various strains of the flu.

You know - I was thinking this same thing.
It looks to be a major difference among all of the likenesses -

[edit on 25-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

8pst or what?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by phrankie79
Some of you are overreacting here.

24 April 2009 -- The United States Government has reported seven confirmed human cases of Swine Influenza A/H1N1 in the USA (five in California and two in Texas) and nine suspect cases. All seven confirmed cases had mild Influenza-Like Illness (ILI), with only one requiring brief hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

www.who.int...

If I can just say -
It is really hard to "overreact" when the country that you share borders with has been tagged with an unknown virus that has killed many people -
This isn't a matter of overreacting. It is a matter of paying attention.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ethnicity or where you live? In the USA there is plenty of medication in drinking water, isn't it? Maybe that's the reason this virus is more deadly in Mexico, or it is simply because it is not the same strain...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Serving up disaster: Antibiotic use on farm animals

I’ve been following the factory farm superbug story mostly in relation to MRSA and pig confinement operations but did you know that according to the Union of Concerned Scientists, roughly 70 percent of the antibiotics used in the U.S. are fed to farm animals. That is estimated to be more than four times the amount of drugs used to treat human illness.

When you speak to the general public about antibiotic resistance, they almost always focus on doctors over-prescribing antibiotics and have absolutely no clue that the superbugs that put them and their children at risk have mostly to do with what ends up on their own dinner tables.

I guess congress has a bill right now because the over use of antibiotics in ive stock i part of the reason fro anitbiotic resistance in new viruses.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That wouldn't apply here, as there is no new anitbiotic resistance in new viruses. Antibiotics are not used to fight viruses as they do not kill viruses, they kill bacteria. Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections, anti viral medications are used to treat viral infections. That's wht they don't prescribe anitbiotics when you have a cold because a cold is a virus and antibiotics are useless against viruses.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

And so it begins with someone like me saying "so it begins". I am wondering if this is really a "so it begins" moment or just more soon-to-be stale doom. I wonder.

Really scary, but I just don't know. Thus, I will say, so it begins (maybe).

It's what you call the "Mild Wave" .. same as the 1918 epidemic had..
an initial mild wave of scattered incidences...
then "public reporting" on it goes to a mere hush for a month or two
then all the actual numbers are released.. and it's shocking size.
remember the ACTUAL size of something is rarely congruent with the actual reported numbers..
there's a buffer of error there..

then comes the Hot Wave
(this little piggy ran all the way home)

-

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, reading through this and other threads now after having traveled for two and a half weeks beginning in southern California and totaling over 4,200 miles, now being home with a cold has me a bit paranoid.

Nah, just a cold runny nose, cough, fever and a hella headache.

But damn, I don't need to see this crap right now.

If I do have it then I may have spread it across several states already.

So what exactly should I be expecting here, involuntary oinking?

How am I to differentiate between a common cold/flu and this swine flu?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I believe they said you're supposed to watch out for fever over 101.3, headache, sore throat, possibly vomiting and diarrhea.

[edit on 4/25/2009 by chise61]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Alex Jones is talking about this now. I've never been a huge fan of Alex Jones, but it's something to listen to while surfing around ATS.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Thanks I've been reading more, and I am nearly certain what I have is a common cold/flu. I have a high fever and normal symptoms.

For a sec I was kinda worried because I started my trip in the Los Angeles area and then traveled through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma to Alabama, then north through Kentucky back west through Kansas, Colorado.. And I have receipts to prove it.

I have been sick for the last 9 days with this cold and when I started hearing about it on television and radio then reading here I was a bit freaked out.

Oh well feed a fever starve a cold, or it is the other way?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Alex Jones is talking about this now. I've never been a huge fan of Alex Jones, but it's something to listen to while surfing around ATS.

I have never listened to Alex Jones before. I am listening to him right now.. we will see wahat he thinks but I know absolutely nothing about him. Is he someone to believe?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join