It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven People in U.S. hit by Strange New Swine Flu

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Seven People in U.S. hit by Strange New Swine Flu

www.alertnet.org

Seven people have been diagnosed with a new kind of swine flu in California and Texas, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Thursday.

All seven people have recovered but the virus itself is a never-before-seen mixture of viruses typical among pigs, birds and humans, the CDC said.

CDC officials are unsure whether the cases are related to an unusually late and severe flu season in Mexico in which 20 people have died.

(visit the link for the full news article)

www.alertnet.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New flu with high mortality rate spreading in Mexico

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This new Flu is a genetic mix!!! It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years. The new flu virus contains DNA typical to avian, swine and human viruses!

www.alertnet.org...

What is going on here? First there is a report that a strange flu has broken out in Mexico, and20 people are dead.

Mexico has cancelled school for millions of children tomorrow?
They notify Canada, and now this? A never seen before mixture of a flu virus previously seen in pigs, birds and humans? Any ideas anyone???

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-4-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

And so it begins with someone like me saying "so it begins". I am wondering if this is really a "so it begins" moment or just more soon-to-be stale doom. I wonder.

Really scary, but I just don't know. Thus, I will say, so it begins (maybe).

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

U.S. health officials are investigating a strange new type of swine influenza that has infected at least seven people and which is expected to be found in more.

Here are some facts about the virus and flu viruses in general:

* The virus is an influenza A virus, carrying the designation H1N1.

* It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years. The new flu virus contains DNA typical to avian, swine and human viruses, including elements from European and Asian swine viruses.

* Flu viruses mutate constantly, which is why the flu vaccine is changed every year, and they can also swap DNA in a process called reassortment. Most animals can get flu but viruses rarely pass from one species to another.
www.alertnet.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The most interesting part for me is how before these were separate events and now they are starting to wonder if they are linked and we just had not called them the same thing. If they are linked then that would be very logical that we are seeing it spread from Mexico to California and Texas and I would bet Arizona soon. It's a little bit scary because of the mortality rate and the fact many cases are probably not being reported.

How many books and movies have started this way?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The concerning thing is that it can jump species. Has this been confirmed?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Yes and so it begins...but like you, maybe only maybe. Still, scary to hear so much about the weird flu vaccines that were tainted, and then this!

reply to post by whoshotJR

Yes and just from the time I posted the first article the second one just popped up on the same page that quick when I refreshed. I think by the linked reporting of stories they know it is connected.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
The most interesting part for me is how before these were separate events and now they are starting to wonder if they are linked and we just had not called them the same thing.

How many books and movies have started this way?

So it begins...would be a good beginning. I think Dustin Hoffman was in, like, 4 movies of virus/epidemic type films, but I cannot be sure. Alex Jones is silent thus far.

Update, today,

Update on Recent Swine Flu Cases in San Diego County

And this person is sensationalizing the subject, posted today...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-4-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

New flu combines pig, bird, human virus

www.news.com.au...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by philosopherrose

Yes it has...first the reporting is done on the website Reuters AlertNet Factbox, that is dedicated to "alerting humanitarians to emergencies"

The article states "New flu strain is a genetic mix"

It is genetically different from the fully human H1N1 seasonal influenza virus that has been circulating globally for the past few years. The new flu virus contains DNA typical to avian, swine and human viruses, including elements from European and Asian swine viruses.

www.alertnet.org...

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
7 people got sick with the flu? This isnt NEWS. 20horses died the other day from something unknown, that barely made a headline.

So I have to ask ,why is 7 people sick, but recovered making headlines in the US and in Australia?

www.news.com.au...

SEVEN people have been diagnosed with a strange and unusual new kind of swine flu in California and Texas, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

All seven people have recovered but the virus itself is a never-before-seen mixture of viruses typical among pigs, birds and humans, the CDC said.

This is on the front page of www.news.com.au

I cant believe its on Australian front page news.

Why are they pre-empting things like this:

"We don't think this is time for major concern around the country."

However, some experts fear this strain, or another strain, could spark a pandemic that could kill millions.

"We believe at this point that human-to-human spread is occurring," Dr Schuchat said.

"That's unusual. We don't know yet how widely it is spreading.

"We are also working with international partners to understand what is occurring in other parts of the world."

Other parts of the world?

7 people had the flu, and got better... why are we saying this is a worldy event?

something stinks..

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Spinkyboo, thanks for that link! This makes me really wonder? Now I have to check out that post from pluckynoonez and that video!

SEVEN people have been diagnosed with a strange and unusual new kind of swine flu in California and Texas, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

"We are likely to find more cases," the CDC's Dr Anne Schuchat said.

"We don't think this is time for major concern around the country."

However, some experts fear this strain, or another strain, could spark a pandemic that could kill millions.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Righto ban all international flights into Australia

We don't want this stinking mutated flu coming here

Quarantine matters!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Don't worry mate, nothing is coming through our border control.

I tried to bring in a bag of M&M's the other week and i was given the riot act.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Damn right.
Beauties of being an island, and the toughest 'sons' of bitches on the face of the earth. Doubt that flu would last a week in the aussie summer anyway.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I thought the same thing when I saw it, but since I posted it in "breaking news" I had to leave the headline...and the only reason I posted it was the article said that it was linked to the Mexico outbreak, which is huge!

And i do find it suspect as you do too, that it makes headlines!

Yes Chad, you and the Agit8dChop better stay safe, Lord knows the world is going to need men like you two!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

In 1976 a new strain of swine flu started infecting people and worried U.S. health officials started widespread vaccination. More than 40 million people were vaccinated. But several cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a severe and sometime fatal condition that can be linked to come vaccines, caused the U.S. government to stop the program. The incident led to widespread distrust of vaccines in general

I just read that! Did anyone else catch that? Maybe Alex is right?

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Maybe you have something there with "they recovered". How do we know this? Because they told you? Could be they don't want us in panic mode yet. High mortality rate in Mexico!?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dingleberry77

That's probably a good thing and a bad thing.

I wonder what procedures they have in place for this kind of thing?

Do they pull anyone showing flu like symptoms aside and quarantine them until they know what they have?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

They certainly do quarantine them. They are actually very strict about it. Australia has the toughest quarantine laws in the world. We are renowned for it. If someone looks like they are very unwell, they will take them aside.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join