It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison life is too easy!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It is time we admit to this, whether as a generalization (it is true in most cases) or as a fact (it is true in all cases). Through watching 'Hard Time' and hearing other stories throughout life, I am convinced that prison life is too easy to be called a form of punishment. I am not saying that we should treat prisoners like animals or that they should all be killed, I am just saying what I think to be true.

Prisoners make prison life a bit hard, not the system. Rapes and attacks on prisoners make life difficult, not the actual rules of the prisons. Prisoners get recess (like schoolkids), where they can play sports and lift weights, they can have televisions in their cells, they can have personal property like CD players, they can read books, they can buy their favorite snacks in stores, and etc. Sure they may have to spend lots of time in their cells everyday, but things such as televisions make life much easier. Is this the kind of place that you would want to send someone who committed a crime against you or a loved one? Think about it.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Have you ever been to prison?

Or did you just see one on TV?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

I have not been to prison, but I have an uncle who was in a (TX) federal prison for bank robbery. I also have an ex-friend from high school who ended up in (WA) prison a few times and both of them told me prison life was too easy. They both said it sucked (who wants to be locked up) but they said that overall they were shocked of the luxuries they had. They both told me in their own way, that they thought they would be sitting in a tiny cell 24/7 staring at a blank wall. This wasnt the case at all.

The ex friend did have a TV and stereo in his cell and he had a "bank account" where friends/family could deposit money so he could shop at the commissary. He got to receive mail and packages and visitors. And spent hours and hours a day working out at the gym. He didnt have to worry about the crappy food, because he could buy snacks and food items at the commissary. He was "in" a few times....once for auto theft, once for assault and other times for drugs.

Also, if you ever watched "locked up" on MSNBC, you get a good look at many prisons around the country. Im shocked at seeing some of these cells that looking like college dorm rooms.

Im 100% in agreement with the OP. Prisoners should NOT get luxuries such as TV, shopping, snacks, visitors, etc.

[edit on 4/23/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
1) Prison life is not easy unless you are a loner or a hermit...through my profession Ive visited many of prison...about 1/3 of the people are straight bad...I'd rather not be in a cell or a building locked with them for mult years

2) Our prisons are "correctional" facilities...they arent meant to punish...they are supposed to rehabilitate...hence the name...its criminal justice 101....

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Would you rather prisoners 'stew' on their confinement - grow the inevitable hatred for society and wreak 'revenge' on the first guy they cross on the outside?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Exactly my thought. It may sound easy on the outside looking in, but living in a tiny cell, eating terrible food, and dealing with the threat of death or severe injury at all times is very stressful. And the yard is one of the most dangerous places because of the number of inmates there that could attack you is always higher that a dorm or cell block. Prison gangs only increase the danger to your person. They often charge non-gang members rent. Yea, the gangs make other inmates pay to live in their cell. They will attack you or their members outside on the street will attack your family if they don't send money to these gang members. It is easy for someone to think prison is too easy, but untill you spend some time behind bars, and I mean a state or federal penitentiary, you have no idea what it is like.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I should have expected this argument, but I didn't. Anyway, no to your first question, and, thus, yes to your second. Is National Geographic Channel not a valid source for you? Is it not good to use this as my experience of prison life? The prison in that show was under a paramilitary correctional style system, and so it should have been very hard to prosper in such a place. If prison life in this sort of prison was easy, what does this say about other, less strict prisons? Watch the show, the prisoners made their own coffees, liquors, tattoo guns, and managed to almost (and, probably, sometimes) get drugs into the prison. They must of had a blast! A cellphone was even snuck (not the best word to use, sorry) in on one occasion!

They call prison life "hard time" for a reason. It's supposed to be hard!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
One of the MODs here is a prison guard....I wish I could remember which one....Im sure it will come to me when im not thinking about it. But hopefully he will read this and chime in. I would like to hear his thoughts on the "luxuries" (for lack of better word) that many prisoners are allowed to have.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I have not been to prison, but I have an uncle who was in a (TX) federal prison for bank robbery. I also have an ex-friend from high school who ended up in (WA) prison a few times and both of them told me prison life was too easy. They both said it sucked (who wants to be locked up) but they said that overall they were shocked of the luxuries they had. They both told me in their own way, that they thought they would be sitting in a tiny cell 24/7 staring at a blank wall. This wasnt the case at all.

So then you believe that your family and friends should have been treated more like animals and experienced much harsher treatment?

The ex friend did have a TV and stereo in his cell and he had a "bank account" where friends/family could deposit money so he could shop at the commissary. He got to receive mail and packages and visitors. And spent hours and hours a day working out at the gym. He didnt have to worry about the crappy food, because he could buy snacks and food items at the commissary. He was "in" a few times....once for auto theft, once for assault and other times for drugs.

If the above are good/easy things, then I take it that you believe it was wrong, and too easy on your former friend that he received mail and had contact with the outside world? His proper punishment should have included no gym time, no packages, only crappy food, no snacks?

If I know anything, I know that not having access to snacks is sure to give people a reason to rehabilitate themselves.

Im 100% in agreement with the OP. Prisoners should NOT get luxuries such as TV, shopping, snacks, visitors, etc.

Well then, you can only hope that you are never falsely accused of a crime and never able to see your spouse again.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Thanks! And thanks for your personal experience!

Is this good enough for you, logician magician?

Originally posted by finestbeast
1) Prison life is not easy unless you are a loner or a hermit...through my profession Ive visited many of prison...about 1/3 of the people are straight bad...I'd rather not be in a cell or a building locked with them for mult years

Okay, so, like I already said, the prisoners make it bad, not the system itself, such as any strict rules. This is a problem!

2) Our prisons are "correctional" facilities...they arent meant to punish...they are supposed to rehabilitate...hence the name...its criminal justice 101....

I know, but how can they rehabilitate people when they are having fun? Look at their luxuries, and you can see how prison life is not that bad. Also, I am sure that prisons exist to punish people too. Attempting to correct every criminal is a very gullible idea. Obviously prisons serving solely as a correction facility is not true, as death rows exist. Prisoners there cannot be corrected.

Originally posted by Now_Then
Would you rather prisoners 'stew' on their confinement - grow the inevitable hatred for society and wreak 'revenge' on the first guy they cross on the outside?

No. I suggest we punish them and attempt to correct them at the same time. Let's try to punish them so that they don't want to come back.

Originally posted by spirit_horse
Exactly my thought. It may sound easy on the outside looking in, but living in a tiny cell, eating terrible food, and dealing with the threat of death or severe injury at all times is very stressful.

You are admitting that the prisoners make life difficult, not the rules (although you do mention tiny cells and bad food, but these really aren't serious extensions of the system). Also, both of those things - small cells and bad food - can be made better by televisions and snacks.

One of the MODs here is a prison guard....I wish I could remember which one....Im sure it will come to me when im not thinking about it.

Awesome! Let's hope he/she sees this thread!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As a person who has been a victim of the courts system. I CAN NOT TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY!!

To never have been in jail and to make a statement like this. You remind me of friends and fathers girlfriends who told me to man up and eat it, never having been themselves.

I was and am not a criminal, yet I slept underneath a convicted murderer for a month and a half. I witnessed no violence. Prison is the ultimate form of timeout, and for you to make a statement like that, I'd have to believe you'd cry your eyes out after day 1.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
As a person who has been a victim of the courts system. I CAN NOT TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY!!

Sorry to hear about your victimization.

To never have been in jail and to make a statement like this. You remind me of friends and fathers girlfriends who told me to man up and eat it, never having been themselves.

So one has to actually be in prison to be an expert? Criminal are the scholars of this topic for you, huh? What about people who have researched this topic?

I was and am not a criminal, yet I slept underneath a convicted murderer for a month and a half. I witnessed no violence. Prison is the ultimate form of timeout, and for you to make a statement like that, I'd have to believe you'd cry your eyes out after day 1.

Sorry again about your experience. Anyway, what was so bad for you then? If you didn't see violence, what made it so bad? Was it just because you were bored? For the record, I wouldn't have been sad, as you have mentioned. I would watch TV, listen to music, read books, lift weights, eat snacks, maybe pick up a job, and keep myself busy by hanging out. That's all it is really.

Like I said, prisoners will make it hard, no the system. This is the entire argument here. This is a great problem!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

I should have expected this argument, but I didn't. Anyway, no to your first question, and, thus, yes to your second. Is National Geographic Channel not a valid source for you?

Sorry, I don't know what the "National Geographic Channel" is, so no.

Is it not good to use this as my experience of prison life?

No, be my guest. You may use TV and movies to learn your world experience all you want. If you are interested in becoming an MMA fighter, you might want to watch a channel called "Spike TV". You'll certainly be able to gain some experience as an MMA fighter by watching since you must have figured out how to hook the TV up to your head, just like they do in the Matrix. You'll be saying "Whoa, I know kung fu" in no time flat!

Watch the show, the prisoners made their own coffees, liquors, tattoo guns, and managed to almost (and, probably, sometimes) get drugs into the prison. They must of had a blast! A cellphone was even snuck (not the best word to use, sorry) in on one occasion!

None of that gets me excited.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Sorry, I don't know what the "National Geographic Channel" is, so no.

Well, here you are.

No, be my guest. You may use TV and movies to learn your world experience all you want.

Sorry, but I don't want to go to prison just to learn about it first hand. Using your argument, then, makes watching the news useless, as surely you are not experiencing those things first hand. Academic television, reading scholarly things, and etc. assists one's knowledge.

None of that gets me excited.

In prison, those things must be heaven on Earth. They are also allowed cigarettes!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I spent 10 months in a Federal Prison Camp in Penssacola FL.

I lived in a dorm room with 7 other men and could roam the grounds freely when not at my job and not having to be in my room for the reguarly scheduled counting of prisoners.

My job was picking up golf balls, maintaining a fleet of golf carts, and making sure the snack cart that plied the golf course was well stocked with snacks and alcoholic beverages. This was at another smaller Naval Base in Milton Florida where I was bussed Monday thru Friday and paid the sum total of 1.00 a day to work at, and was supervised by the Club House Pro Golfer who worked for the Navy's Moral Welfare and Recreation division.

Because I entered with a valid Florida Driver's License, the Bureau of Prisons Issued me a valid BOP Inmate Driver's License and assigned me a van, and two golf carts for my use and was freely allowed to drive any where on base and any where off of base I was instructed to drive too.

I was sometimes asked to give Navy Personnel advice on their Golf swings. I was issued a set of golf clubs for this purpose.

I was fed lunch every day from the Officers Mess in which I had a choice of several menu items. For snacks and beverages I was given free reign to serve myself behind the counter at the Club House snack bar.

On occassion I would be assigned a detail of Marines to supervise in washing the fleet of golf carts.

For the record they to a man said I was a harsh and demanding guy to have to work for.

On occassion the Captain of the base would ask me to lunch with him at the club house..."The criminal mind fascinates me!"

The actual Marine in charge of the Marines at the base once confided a year seemed a pretty fair trade for the amount of money I was alleged to have missapropriated. "Too bad you didn't get to keep it!"...the silence and the smile on my face had him re-examining his life.

The recreation was top notch at the base that housed us with a first run movie theatre, tennis and racquet and hand ball courts, volley ball and badmitten courts, croquet courts, bocci ball courts, horse shoe pitts, pool tables, a wood shop, a hortoculture center and green house, base ball diamond, jogging track, weight lifting room, gym, Library, computer room, several indoor/outdoor lounge areas with big screen TV's and snack machines including microwave dinners, and my favorite a band room.

I put together one of the most awsome and tallented bands I have ever had the privelage to play with and when the Moral Welfare and Recreation Director discovered how talented it was he wasted no time booking us at various Navy functions at a profit to the agency.

The food was fairly decent most of the time as most of the people who worked in the Cafeteria also were attending the camp's Cullinary Class and often dinner would be something the Cullinary Class had to whip up for a test, can you say Prime Rib and Baked Alaska?

During orentation we were all told the same thing. The fence is around the base to keep people out, not to keep you in. You are free to walk out the gate at any time, the gaurd is not there to stop you and won't. We will simply put you down as escaped and will add 5 years to your sentence for when the U.S. Marshalls do catch up with you.

One night at dinner one of the inmates I had never met before asked me if I would be so kind as to dine at his table, he had recently seen my band play and wanted to compliment me on my and it's performance. I was happy to oblige and he questioned me at length as to why I wasn't playing professionally on the outside. I told him the truth, work, wife, kids, too many responsibilities not enough time...I thought about it a moment and couldn't help but see the irony in it as I finally told him..."come to think of it, going to prison has been the most fun I have had in ages!"

Go figure!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I told him the truth, work, wife, kids, too many responsibilities not enough time...I thought about it a moment and couldn't help but see the irony in it as I finally told him..."come to think of it, going to prison has been the most fun I have had in ages!"

Exactly. I have a question, though. All these cool things were on a navy base or was it actually part of the prison? If the latter is true, you have greatly proved my point! Actually both would prove my point, as you bring allowed on base was a part of the prison experience. Were you in the navy?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

So then you believe that your family and friends should have been treated more like animals and experienced much harsher treatment?

LOL. Um, I have no pitty on what my uncle or ex friend did. They broke the law. Treated like animals? Wouldnt being locked up no matter what be treated like an animal to you? Should we just not have prisons for people who choose to break the law? Yes, they should have experiences much harsher punishment. Because neither learned a lesson. Prison life was too easy for them. They are both repeat offenders. Both come from middle/upper class families.

If the above are good/easy things, then I take it that you believe it was wrong, and too easy on your former friend that he received mail and had contact with the outside world? His proper punishment should have included no gym time, no packages, only crappy food, no snacks?

Yes, I think it was wrong that they received the privledges they had.

Well then, you can only hope that you are never falsely accused of a crime and never able to see your spouse again.

Yep, I hope so too. But that chance is much slimmer then it is for those who choose to break the law and are held accountable for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

When I lived on Vandberg AFB for a short time, they had prisoners from Lompoc who worked on the base doing landscaping.

I dont know the details of it - like why they were there, etc. But certainly not a bad gig. Sunny perfect weather. Working near the beach.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yes, they should have experiences much harsher punishment. Because neither learned a lesson. Prison life was too easy for them. They are both repeat offenders. Both come from middle/upper class families.

Great words! It's interesting to see that you hold the same standards to your family and friends.

Yes, I think it was wrong that they received the privledges they had.

Great!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Just so you know.

I just lost everything I typed due to a horrible wifi service at a hotel I'm staying at. However due to my very strong believes on the flaws of our judicial system, I'm going to type all this gunk out again. Maybe my situation might open your eyes bit.

In 2007 I was convicted of felony arson. For setting fire at a local playground. The night before I had been drinking, I was young and quite frankly an idiot when it came to police. I had taken quite a few beer bongs at my house, when a friend of mine who was sober needed to pick his brother up from work. Being drunk I wanted to ride to his brothers workplace just for the hell of it. On the way back home, no more than 3 minutes from my house; my hat flew off my head, and through the open window of the car. It was an expensive hat, so they stopped on the side of the road for me to run back and snag it. A cop comes, thinks he see's something suspicious, and I'm picked up. 1st Underage Drinking Charge, and 1st underage possession of alcohol charge. *And just cause this topic got me really heated, you get to be the lucky person to receive my unjust story, I hope it does open your eyes to the flaws of this system. *

Ok, So I was at fault, I realize that, this one was my fault entirely.
The very next night, I had another party at my house, like I said, I was idiotic, and too into how cool I became for throwing parties to worry about the legal repercussions. The same frined who had been driving showed up, and questioned as to why I was wearing this bad luck hat still. 8 shots deep, i realized oh man, this is a bad hat, it being from an ex and everything. I grabbed a gas canister, and headed to the playground right down the road from my house to burn it. Keep in mind even as a 12-13 year old, we had blown stuff up there, lit fires, and engaged in harmless boy type activities. I put my hat on top of a spiral slide, poured gas in it, and lit it. Next thing I know, my leg is on fire and the hat is burning like crazy. Little did I realize it was a spiral slide, and the gas traveled down it, within minutes a good portion of the said slide was on fire. People at my party tried to get me to run, but I refused. Within a minute the fire was out, because I choose to put it out, a serious fire was not in my intentions. The slide was not damaged, and I swear by this day, a little paint, and a buffer, no one would have been the wiser.

Two days later an arson investigator shows up at my house, being an honest person, and knowing the damage I had caused was not that serious, I admitted to it. I was arrested then. I was put in a juvenile detention center for 4 months, detained until my court hearing due to the "seriousness" of my crime. I lost my job, my father who was also relying on my income to support payments on our house lost the place...*messy domestic divorce hearings*

When I was finally tried in court, the judge decided to make me, a 17 year old kid, who lost his job, was uprooted from his friends because of this, a 7000 restitution payment for this said slide. On top of that I was ordered to another 60 days imprisonment, with no time served to back me, or get me out early. JDC was easy, cake walk even. I got out moved in with my dad at this crappy apartment, and set out to do good.

My father lost his job, couldn't afford the place anymore, and then moved in with a girlfriend who later would steal his money and put me back in jail over false charges. I decided not to go with him to another state to live with a woman I couldn't stand, and I felt was truly evil. *I was so right, I have court this monday cause of this woman, so I called her character quite well, and even to my dad, I told you so isn't enough*

So I'm living on my own, at an apartment right on the boardwalk. I was naive with no parental guidance, so what did I do? I started throwing parties again, making a quick buck off naive kids.

*Continued next post...I'll try and make this quick I swear*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join