It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan B for global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Plan B for global warming

www2.macleans.ca

... he is at the fore of a small group of scientists proposing a quick technological fix: a “Plan B” to slow climate change and cool the earth almost overnight via massive human interventions. Among their science-fiction-style ideas: the deployment of millions of lenses the size of doughnuts in geo-stationary orbit between the earth and the sun, the creation of vast banks of artificial clouds over the world’s oceans, covering deserts with reflective material, and Keith’s preferred solution...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Blew my mind... when I got this magazine in the mail yesterday, I didn't know what to make of it. I am a silent member, normally, and just enjoy the newsletter and reading everyone's thoughts. However, this time I had to post this as I think it fits into about 15 different categories of this site

I look forward to your thoughts

www2.macleans.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
LOL... same crazy crap they wanted to do in the 1970's ... except then they were screaming "GLOBAL COOLING / ICE AGE!"

Did you know this is the 4th incarnation of climate doom? Probably not since that is not what the media wants you to know... yes, 1895, 1920's / 30's, 1970's, Today... REMEMBER - THESE SAME NUTJOBS wanted to cover the polar icecaps in black soot to avoid "THE UNAVOIDABLE" ice age.. Wow, aren't we all Glad that they didn't do that?

This isn’t a question of science. It’s a question of whether Americans can trust what the media tell them about science.

World renowned climatologists as recently as the 1970s were convinced that the world was entering a prolonged period of global cooling. Newsweek reported in April of 1975 that meteorologists "are almost unanimous" that catastrophic famines were sure to result from the global cooling.

Prominent scientists at the time were even making wild propositions about the drastic steps world governments should take to counter the cooling trend. In some of the more extreme cases, there were plans to divert Arctic rivers and to cover the poles with black soot to melt the polar ice caps to stave off the next ice age.

www.businessandmedia.org...

It was five years before the turn of the century and major media were warning of disastrous climate change. Page six of The New York Times was headlined with the serious concerns of “geologists.” Only the president at the time wasn’t Bill Clinton; it was Grover Cleveland. And the Times wasn’t warning about global warming – it was telling readers the looming dangers of a new ice age.

The year was 1895, and it was just one of four different time periods in the last 100 years when major print media predicted an impending climate crisis. Each prediction carried its own elements of doom, saying Canada could be “wiped out” or lower crop yields would mean “billions will die.”

Just as the weather has changed over time, so has the reporting – blowing hot or cold with short-term changes in temperature.

Following the ice age threats from the late 1800s, fears of an imminent and icy catastrophe were compounded in the 1920s by Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan and an obsession with the news of his polar expedition. As the Times put it on Feb. 24, 1895, “Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again.”

Those concerns lasted well into the late 1920s. But when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, newspapers and magazines responded with stories about the new threat. Once again the Times was out in front, cautioning “the earth is steadily growing warmer.”

After a while, that second phase of climate cautions began to fade. By 1954, Fortune magazine was warming to another cooling trend and ran an article titled “Climate – the Heat May Be Off.” As the United States and the old Soviet Union faced off, the media joined them with reports of a more dangerous Cold War of Man vs. Nature.

The New York Times ran warming stories into the late 1950s, but it too came around to the new fears. Just three decades ago, in 1975, the paper reported: “A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable.”

That trend, too, cooled off and was replaced by the current era of reporting on the dangers of global warming. Just six years later, on Aug. 22, 1981, the Times quoted seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.”

In all, the print news media have warned of four separate climate changes in slightly more than 100 years – global cooling, warming, cooling again, and, perhaps not so finally, warming. Some current warming stories combine the concepts and claim the next ice age will be triggered by rising temperatures – the theme of the 2004 movie “The Day After Tomorrow.”

Despite all the historical shifting from one position to another, many in the media no longer welcome opposing views on the climate. CBS reporter Scott Pelley went so far as to compare climate change skeptics with Holocaust deniers.

“If I do an interview with [Holocaust survivor] Elie Wiesel,” Pelley asked, “am I required as a journalist to find a Holocaust denier?” he said in an interview on March 23 with CBS News’s PublicEye blog.

He added that the whole idea of impartial journalism just didn’t work for climate stories. “There becomes a point in journalism where striving for balance becomes irresponsible,” he said.

Pelley’s comments ignored an essential point: that 30 years ago, the media were certain about the prospect of a new ice age. And that is only the most recent example of how much journalists have changed their minds on this essential debate.

Some in the media would probably argue that they merely report what scientists tell them, but that would be only half true.

Journalists decide not only what they cover; they also decide whether to include opposing viewpoints. That’s a balance lacking in the current “debate.”

This isn’t a question of science. It’s a question of whether Americans can trust what the media tell them about science.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
LOL... same crazy crap they wanted to do in the 1970's ... except then they were screaming "GLOBAL COOLING / ICE AGE!"

Did you know this is the 4th incarnation of climate doom? Probably not since that is not what the media wants you to know... yes, 1895, 1920's / 30's, 1970's, Today... REMEMBER - THESE SAME NUTJOBS wanted to cover the polar icecaps in black soot to avoid "THE UNAVOIDABLE" ice age.. Wow, aren't we all Glad that they didn't do that?

Wow, those must be some really OLD NUTJOBS then. I also must assume that you believe the evil media has been spreading climate doom lies over the last hundred+ years in an effort to..... I don't know, create people like you who think they are outing them and their nefarious plans that have proven to be so perfect and efficient?

Every field and profession has it's own "Doomsday" crowd. Crying wolf doesn't just happen near flocks of sheep.

Of course, your flock will die whether you believe the calls to be true or not.

Pay attention.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I also must assume that you believe the evil media has been spreading climate doom lies over the last hundred+ years in an effort to.....

Let me help you finish that thought: Have an excuse that can't be disproved to make tax-slaves of all of us.

TA

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Tax slaves, good term. However I think it's true. Everytime I get into a discussion with someone about global warming and they find out I don't buy into it they look at me like I'm some sort of sick freak. Like I don't have a conscience. Reading about this Plan B, just looks like more scare tactics to me. Scare people enough that the world is ending and they'll be happy to buy "carbon credits" to "save" the planet.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

I also must assume that you believe the evil media has been spreading climate doom lies over the last hundred+ years in an effort to.....

Let me help you finish that thought: Have an excuse that can't be disproved to make tax-slaves of all of us.

TA

I suppose next you'll tell me that the last 100 years have been in preparation for the carbon tax.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Well that's interesting. That kind of freaks me out a little bit. Putting all these lenses into orbit and covering the deserts with reflective materials sounds almost exactly like what they might have to do to pull off something like Project Blue Beam, which I was a few minutes ago absolutely positive was impossible.

ATS Project Blue Beam Thread.

I guess the general idea is for the NWO to project fake images of God all over the planet using satellites and holographs to convince everyone to join the NWO religion at some point in the future. Thanks for freaking me out there

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

Without doubt THE MOST boring posts on ATS revolve around the theory that all the worlds politicians, scientists, media, corporations, in fact everyone on the planet is involved in some global conspiracy to tax Americans. It is simply the most jaw dropping proposition that pretty much everyone on earth has independently and simultaneously come up with the same conspiracy....wow.

The saddest part about this profoundly mundane "theory" is that it derails quality conversation about the issue and what to do - it really is sad.

Anyway to the OP ....these ideas have been around a long time, they range across many fields, there is a great article in new scientist, the ideas has arisen again as recently leading scientists come together to issue a warning to world leaders that the time for controllable measure to combat global warming have past - and that we now need to realise that we have gone past preventing serious damage and need to consider the consequences.

Worthwhile placing this in context of the global down turn, the money being spent now is exactly what we needed to purse solutions - sad indeed.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas

The saddest part about this profoundly mundane "theory" is that it derails quality conversation about the issue and what to do - it really is sad.

Quality conversation?... You mean like claiming to everyone that because you read three books from a Mammalogist, and even though people show you "peer-reviewed research" which tells a different story from your claims, and your response is to claim that "books" are more reliable than "peer reviewed scientific journals" that is "quality conversation?.... Really?....

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
And just how many lenses in orbit would it take to cool the planet?
How many man hours, materials, power consumption, new factories would it take to make said lenses?

How many rocket launches, astronaut training and rocket fuel would it take to get said lenses into orbit?

And, if succesful, how the heck do you brng them all down again to stop a new ice age?

All of that effort alone would more than likely totaly destroy the entire outcome you were hoping to happen.

Now the deserts withe reflective material is really easy to do.. You need tons and tons of tin foil... and ATS'ers already have tons and tons for our heads so our donations will be greatly received and ATS will become famous for saving the planet and we will no longer be labeled as conspiracy nutters.

The artificial clouds are already happening and you'll find loads of info here on ATS... just search for chem trails;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These are not a bunch of scientists just sitting around making up new ideas and methods to combat global warming.. To me it seems more like a cover story creation session in order to get them off the hook when all of the tin foil wearing types finally uncover the truth behind the bull .... but maybe us tin foil types have already uncvered the lies and certain others are getting a little desperate.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Now the deserts withe reflective material is really easy to do.. You need tons and tons of tin foil... and ATS'ers already have tons and tons for our heads so our donations will be greatly received and ATS will become famous for saving the planet and we will no longer be labeled as conspiracy nutters.

The artificial clouds are already happening and you'll find loads of info here on ATS... just search for chem trails;

Hey, if you're just covering your head then you're doing it wrong! As you can see, I play it extra safe and cover my whole body in tin foil. They're not gonna get me so easily!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I appreciate all of your replies, of course your statements are all theories and stories I have heard before.

The thing that got me, was that MacLeans magazine, here in Canada, is a highly respected national magazine that you find in every Dr's office on par with Readers Digest. The scientist in question is Canadian, and the fact that they point to cold war experiments, the Star Wars program, Vietnam experiments etc etc.

They also say that it would take thousands of jet flights daily to even begin thinking of being effective.

Bringing to life almost all the so-called "Conspiracies" of the past 20 yrs.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
while nobody should mess with mother nature, this goes way beyond. I think the first thing that should be done is actually prove that man made climate change does indeed exist. And then figure out who to blame for all the times in the past 10,000 years that we have had a warm spell. And by all means, we need to find out who is at fault for the global warming on Mars.

top topics

join