It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Presedential Candidates normally do this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Honestly I really haven't paid that much attention in previous years, or perhaps it is because the Internet is a widely used medium now, but I was surprised to find this

www.johnkerry.com...

Is this normal?

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It really surprised me. The only candidates that usually "advertise" like this are those who don't have enough money in the coffers to hire the staff they need. Seems like Dean had something similar, but with him you would expect it.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Notice the very bottom comment,...

Authorized and Paid for by John Kerry for President, Inc

It's nothing but a business, and incorporated.

The company is running for president, with him as the spokesman.

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Notice the very bottom comment,...

Authorized and Paid for by John Kerry for President, Inc

It's nothing but a business, and incorporated.

The company is running for president, with him as the spokesman.

All campaigns must account for all contributions, advertising, etc. The best way to handle this is through incorporation. Bush's campaign is identified as Bush-Cheney '04 inc www.georgewbush.com...

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by Bleys]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Thanks Bleys, I learn something new everyday, and I appreciate your input on this info.

It just seems a bit strange though, upon first appearance.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Glad to help. I learn so much on this sight, it's nice to actually be able to reciprocate. But it does raise some interesting questions though about the political process in this country.

You might find this link interesting. Its a GWU critique on how Kerry's ads look. www.gwu.edu...

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
It really surprised me. The only candidates that usually "advertise" like this are those who don't have enough money in the coffers to hire the staff they need. Seems like Dean had something similar, but with him you would expect it.

But I as under the impression that Kerry was fairly well off, I mean his wife is the Heinz heir, etc etc.
I guess what I didn't like was the very first part,
I ------------- PLEDGE.......don't know, just struck me wrong.
Thanks for your input.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
so we have corporations running for political office.........that doesn't sound right...

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It seemed pretty innocuous to me. If you are going to volunteer or support a candidate, they need to know who you are. So say, if a famous neo-nazi, wants to start speaking for you, you'd probably want to know that. And it also helps to show who your support base is (how many blacks, latinos, rich, poor, etc.). As for Bush/Kerry Inc., that's just Business 101. Not to mention the economic benefits, but let's say, your campaign bus runs over someone. If they sue you, they take all of your money, your house, everything. But if you have a corporation, it gets sued, and your personal assets are protected.

top topics

join