It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the media control thought on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I�ve been a member here now for a few days and a lurker for the past couple of months, and I�ve got to ask, does the media control thought on ATS?

Sure, there�s lots of talk about Iraq and the election campaign, but these are all current events.

What happened with the mad cow scare and alleged cover up?

Or, SARS or the flu epidemic to name just a few?

I can find old threads on these issues but it seems no one else is interested anymore.

So I guess my question is are we media slaves like the �sheeples� I have heard referred to so often?

Thoughts please�..

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Dunno about "sheeples" and 'media slaves', but I did run across this little funktoid article that may be of interest:
Is the Net Polarizing U.S. Political Dialogue?

While people on the left and right can turn beet-red with anger on TV shows such as ABC's "This Week," CNN's "Crossfire" or Fox's "Hannity & Colmes," the Internet provides innumerable forums and political sites so anyone can fire off a torrent of rhetorical brickbats. The Web is the birthplace of "flamers" and "trolls," people who launch no-holds-barred attacks on others with opposing views.

And from NewsMax to Salon to the Guerrilla News Network, you can find political news served up online to your partisan tastes. But despite the rise of so much partisan noise, it's hard to say without a doubt that we're living in the most divisive time, or that the Net is to blame. Research in the area is relatively sketchy, and the Net still provides a vast galaxy of diverse opinions and objective journalism.

The two words I would like to highlight from the above quoted sections is these: "objective journalism".

You see any of that in any major media or major internet news source outlets, specializing in up-to-date news, etc.?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Good point. I have to chalk it up to the fact that there is so much going on right now and it's impossible to stop and smell the roses so to speak. A couple of months ago, it seemed like all I did surf the NASA sight to get updates on the rovers. I don't even know if they are even still up and running.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Add two more words...diverse opinions.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
In order for these topics to stay active, members like you have to continue to post new information to the threads that exist, or if you have something that deserves its own thread - a new thread.

No...we are not controlled by the media. But at the same time, we are only as "knowledgable" as the community of members that bring extraneous knowledge to us.

So...MAD COW AWAY!

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I agree that places like this are diverse and probably the thing I like the most is that you certainly get "objective journalism".

But, from what I've seen, some of the best surfers out there post to this site and I'd sure like to see what is out there now on some older topics.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
What happened with the mad cow scare and alleged cover up?

Or, SARS or the flu epidemic to name just a few?

I can find old threads on these issues but it seems no one else is interested anymore.

So I guess my question is are we media slaves like the �sheeples� I have heard referred to so often?
Some conspiracies are more interesting than others.

Covering up Mad Cow is not something so immediate that it needs more attention than it already gets here. Same with SARS and other illnesses. Just look in the medical conspiracy section. It rarely gets posted to in the first place.

For an example, check the Aliens/UFOs section. It gets a lot more posts than the medical section gets and it gets ZERO news media attention other than sci-fi entertainment stuff that has nothing to do with news in general.

We're certainly not sheeples in this respect. Its just that medical problems are not at the top of everybody's interests here. They get dealt with as much as anybody here cares to deal with them.

I'm more concerned over many of the opinions by members here concerning disdain for life in general. Which daily shows itself in the terrorism section. Emotions run high on the internet where semi-anonymity rules, but it gets a bit uncomfortable reading many of the death wishing posts in that forum.

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I have no problem digging up old threads, and have been using the random link generator for suprise topics to consider an interest in.

top topics

join