It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant space tornadoes create Earth's auroras

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Giant space tornadoes create Earth's auroras

www.newscientist.com

On the dark side of the Earth, space is riddled with giant plasma tornadoes that power shimmering auroras, new observations reveal.

Researchers operating the five spacecraft of NASA's THEMIS mission reported the discovery today at the European Geophysical Union meeting in Vienna, Austria.

s195.photobucket.com..."

And more interestingly .. waht drives these forces? these two giant tornado's?

[edit on 23/4/09 by Quantum_Squirrel]

[edit on 23/4/09 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It always strikes me, we should take nothing for granted when physical laws are changed frequently That is why all outlandish theories are possible.

Earth was flat..

Going over 29 mph in a car would crush you to death , and yet people still ridicule fantastic ideas.

So is this saying the aurora's are not created by the sun bouncing off the magnetosphere?

the aurora's are created by two gian plasma's tornado's on the 'dark side' of the earth .. how little we know....

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I saw these in a dream a little under a year ago and posted here on ATS about them. Its funny this appears out of no where after I saw it happen. My theory was the moving magnetic poles would cause these. Radiation coming thru while the magnetic poles shift would cause tornado like structures going out into space. You talk about deficating in your pants, wait till you see one for real.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

What a fascinating read , S & F .

Those plasma tornado's are huge.

I found this section particularly interesting ......

One vortex in the pair sends particles spiralling along Earth's magnetic field lines until they hit molecules of the ionosphere 400 km above the surface.

Charged particles return up through the other vortex, completing the electrical circuit.

New Scientist
"Who woulda thunk it" !

[edit on 23-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Are they changing the laws we know? Aren't they just observing new phenomenon based on the existing laws?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Are they changing the laws we know? Aren't they just observing new phenomenon based on the existing laws?

well the 'Law' of how the aurora are created have just been replaced.. so yes..

when i say law i mean current science law , or should i say 'most popular theory in mainstraim science at the time'

Originally posted by Memysabu
I saw these in a dream a little under a year ago and posted here on ATS about them. Its funny this appears out of no where after I saw it happen. My theory was the moving magnetic poles would cause these. Radiation coming thru while the magnetic poles shift would cause tornado like structures going out into space. You talk about deficating in your pants, wait till you see one for real.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by Memysabu]

Hey could you link the thread that you posted? if you saw these in a dream before AND posted it on A.T.S then you have some mighty powerful evidence there for pre-cognative dreaming.

i look forward to your reply.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

One vortex in the pair sends particles spiralling along Earth's magnetic field lines until they hit molecules of the ionosphere 400 km above the surface.

Charged particles return up through the other vortex, completing the electrical circuit.

this interests me .. completing the electrical circuit out into space via thes tornado's , could we tap directly into this circuit and syphon off the electricity to power the world?

and does this say something about the electrical universe theory?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Damn it! I love this kind of revelation!

This adds a new dimension to our understanding and I think might well be propagated, by me, to my friends.

The dynamic we will be able to model might tell us much about the more serious stresses to which our environment is subject. The Aurora, for example, is so much more than just 'pretty lights.'

(As an aside, It occurs to me that we might find some interesting parallels in ancient lore)

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When I see things I dont always know why or when it is. Theres a lot of crap that goes into this but most of what I know I do not tell anyone. For one it takes a lot of practice to figure out which are dreams and which are OBE's. Im not positive its OBE its just the closest thing I can associate it with. I didnt talk about it then as if it was a dream but it was. Also I dont like people relying on me for their information of whats going to happen. So I almost never say anything about anything I know. I also dont think you can change much. The future seems to always be changing. Its kinda weird, hope that satisfies your curiosity.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu

When I see things I dont always know why or when it is. Theres a lot of crap that goes into this but most of what I know I do not tell anyone. For one it takes a lot of practice to figure out which are dreams and which are OBE's. Im not positive its OBE its just the closest thing I can associate it with. I didnt talk about it then as if it was a dream but it was. Also I dont like people relying on me for their information of whats going to happen. So I almost never say anything about anything I know. I also dont think you can change much. The future seems to always be changing. Its kinda weird, hope that satisfies your curiosity.

nice man , so close its earie and in 2008?

i will quote you fully because you deserve it ,

Ive known about this for awhile, if it happens youre going to crap your pants. Imagine multicolored tornados going out into space.

I mean like the northern lights but swirling across the ground in multiple places on earth.

Id say over 6 places. Also the eye of it would be miles wide. And the ground it moves over will be getting beat up by radiation straight from the sun with zero protection. Kinda like a microwave.

Imagine trying to run from that. Youre going to think its the end of the world. This does happen and it will happen again. We are just becoming due for one.

You even say like the northern lights, ..

did you look at the picvture exactly as you described it ...

so you forsee the discovery off these things as extremely bad?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Thanks for directing me to that thread. I subscribed.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hmmm, you would think that being scientists they would have a grasp on basic units of measurement. Amps is an instantaneous measurement so how could 100 000 amps be channeled over a period of three hours?

I'm also wondering how such a small current could be associated with producing such powerful aurora. It would be more informative to state what the overall power transmission of these channels could be.

NASA does have a bunch of neat shiny stuff but I'm beginning to wonder if these researchers actually have a clue what they are doing.

Edit for typo.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by dainoyfb]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Since when is there a dark side of the earth? And how to tornadoes occur in a vacuum?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well there are magnetic pole shifts every 300,000 years or so and we are still alive so I dont think it would be the end of the earth. The last one BTW was over 700,000 years ago so we are over due. Scientists who have run scenarios say the poles will split into 6 or more that will move around. Youd have to locate the video to that one. I just put two and two together and figured thats what I saw. However Im not certain, I dont control what I see.

And when I see the things I see there isnt anyone standing next to me telling me whats going on. I do know it scared me very badly. My idea was that as the poles move around the earth all 6+ will form these things as they move. Radiation being able to get down the eye of them and hit the surface. Im not an expert on that so I cant say for certain. I do know these form though and Ive seen one. Usually I get the feeling Im in someone elses body seeing an event.

It all started when I was 15 and jumped into someone who was in the large earthquake that took place in China. I was wearing a white shirt and black tie and ran into the doorway to shelter myself. I was in a skyscraper that was swaying kinda. When I woke up I turned on the TV and there it was, happening right then. Ever since that incident Ive paid close attention to what I see. However I dont think you can change anything, and even if you could someone else is making changes some how so the future seems to change.

Maybe thats my poor understanding of time or the government already has people doing what I do for them kinda like remote viewing. Who knows. I cant explain it but I believe there is a scientific explanation for why I see it. Maybe some kind of wireless link between people we dont know about yet. Subconciously. I know its not a pleasant experience. Everytime Ive seen something its been horrific and the person I was inside of was over whelmed with fear, I feel their fear so naturally it feels like a nightmare and you think youre dying.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think this new discovery seems to match with what we thought was really happening already. We know from high altitude nuclear tests a generation ago that large-yeild nuclear detonations in soace can create auroras.

Here is a list of all high-altitude nuclear tests conducted by the U.S.
www.johnstonsarchive.net...

And HERE is an image of an aurora created by the "Operation Dominic" Starfish-Prime nuclear test. Weapon was detonated on July 9, 1962 at an altitude of about 250 miles above the Pacific Ocean.
(photo taken from an aircraft).

It was eventually discovered that Earth's magnetic field had a ring around it devoid of most normally occurring solar/magnetic energy. This "ring" around the earth is where most of our satellites exist today because it is the safest place for satellites to be. Sometimes this protective "ring" created by the earth's magnetic field becomes inundated with energy when the field is overwhelmed with incomming solar energy. But scientists quickly learned that as soon as the energy would fill this "ring" it would just as quickly disappear. The logical answer is that there was a vortex or some other force "sucking" the energy out of that area so that the normally occurring magnetic structure could normalize itself. Really interesting. This was discussed in more detail on the National Geographic Channel in a recent episode of "Naked Science" about lightning.

We recently discovered that when these magnetic "strings" snap, they not only produce auroras but also produce energy that helps trigger lightning on earth. It is also interesting how Sprites, Blue Jets, and other exotic forms of high altitude lightning also somewhat resemble a vortex and are also made of plasma. It is possible that high altitude lightning triggers are linked to the same phenomenon that produce auroral energy (Geomagnetic Storms).

-ChriS

[edit on 24-4-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
Since when is there a dark side of the earth? And how to tornadoes occur in a vacuum?

The dark side of the earth could also be referred to as "the night side"..
That's all it means.

Keep in mind here, Geomagnetic storms involve earth's magnetic field being directly affected by the Solar wind/ Solar energy (produced by the sun). Therefore, due to the specific geometry produced and all the forces at work when the solar wind plows into the earth's magnetic field they are saying that these plasma vortices occur on the night side (The side of earth's magnetic field opposite the sun).

So, The night side It is also the side of the earth's magnetic field opposite the incomming solar energy that produces geomagnetic storms. Due to whatever forces are all at work, the magnetic field lines of the earth sometimes snap under stress. We've known for a long time that this is what produces the auroras by basically "funneling" energy into the earth's upper atmospher (although alot about the details is still mysterious and unknown).

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska so the Aurora come second nature to me personally. The University of Alaska (my alma madre) have all kinds of research going on all over the world. A few miles from my house they have a missile test site called "Poker Flats" where they launch rockets carrying instrumentation into the aurora in an effort to better understand all the forces at work.

What is bizarre to me is the newly discovered "Black Aurora" where instead of magnetic storms producing photons (light) they actually produce a black blob of moving energy that produces no light at all. They appear to be a kind of "anti-aurora". It has been videotaped multiple times by the European Space Agencies satellites.
sci.esa.int...

This video was filmed a few miles from my house

I've also heard that Auroras can be audible.. But there is not any scientific evidence of it. Theories suggest that perhaps something in the rocks/crust of the earth is amplifying the energy being produced by the aurora and giving off slightly audible noise. My stepfather sais he's heard it. It has also been reported by other people all over the world.

-ChriS

[edit on 24-4-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I've been reading more about the black aurora and how interesting they are. In a way they are very similar to these giant tornadoes previously discussed.

The black aurora are not actually aurora at all but, rather, holes in the ionosphere where the particles that make up the ionosphere are "sucked out" inside what is basically a vortex of postively charged electrical energy. The structures that "suck" out this energy are called "positively charged electric potential structures".

As the link in my last post explains, the positively charged force that creates the black aurora are exactly opposite the negatively charged energy that produces normal auroras. My guess would be that this is all a complex system that ties directly into the magnetosphere as forces change. This way the magnetosphere can normalize itself after large solar storms so everything can return to normal. Maybe these black auroras are just the positively charged areas of a larger magnetic vortex that extends out into space and then back into the negatively charged areas of the ionosphere elsewhere on the planet (In other words, maybe they are the result of geomagnetic stresses on earth's magnetic field lines).

-ChriS

[edit on 25-4-2009 by BlasteR]

[edit on 25-4-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

What you mean that auroras can be audible but no evidence exist? I distingtly remember seeing a news piece on a guy who was first to record them. I think it was a finnish scientist but not sure. Googling gives alot of pages on the subject though.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Incredibly interesting! There's 2 of em! Didn't expect that I'll be honest. I always thought that there would be one at each pole, not 2 at the same pole!

This is a fascinating find and one that should be remembered, there was a thread a while ago about THEMIS discovering the original 'Magnetic Flux rope'.

Now, what powers it? The Sun of course! Not sure about these new ones, but I'd still say the Sun as a best guess scenario. The sooner we realise plasma cosmology is the better model, the sooner we can begin to evolve technologically, spiritually, academically(Word?) and environmentally.

Check that thread, it's awesome.

EMM

If any one is interested, I have a thread up about what all this energy does when it get's to Earth, mainly drive's our weather and maybe even us! At the moment, I haven't added anything to it, as not many people seemed interested but I'm planning on adding an 'Earthquake' explanation, as well as eartquake phenomena and also clouds and rain.

(As an aside, It occurs to me that we might find some interesting parallels in ancient lore)

"It is the thunderbolt that drives the universe." Can't remember who said it, a greek philosopher if I remember correctly.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

[edit on 26-4-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There was a National Geographic special about the auroras a year or two ago in which they specifically talked about the auroras possibly being audible. There might have been new discoveries since then but I haven't heard anything. My online searches didn't find any news related items on the subject of audible auroras. Sofar as I can tell it has not been scientifically confirmed.

I did find somemore news items on the topic of this thread though..

Electricity Measured Inside Space Tornadoes

THEMIS Satellites Track Space Tornadoes at More Than 1 Million MPH

NASA THEMIS satellites change solar storm theory

Most of the "auroral sounds" you see online or hear about elsewhere are low frequency radio waves in the ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) or VLF range that have to be amplified with a PC or other devices to make them audible. There are CD's you can buy with amplified auroral radio waves and there's also a multitude of websites devoted to Auroral noise (Auroral music as some call it). Auroras can be made audible with computers and/or other equipment but that is very different from the auroras being audible without having to amplify the sound/radio waves.

What is unknown is whether or not the auroras can be audible to the human ear. Right now the consensus is no.. But so many people have apparently heard what they believe was the aurora. If you've ever watched online movies of how the auroral radio waves correlate with the patterns of auroral activity you notice that the noises/music basically jive with the visible activity in the sky (as if it sings while it dances).

As far as audible auroras, people claim that the audible noises also correlate with the auroras dancing across the sky (this is why people are convinced it is what they heard and not something else). My stepdad believes he has also heard the auroras on one occasion. It is believed that maybe the ground and/or certain types of rocks in the ground are amplifying the low frequency radio waves making them audible (though auroras, themselves, are still inaudible). This is just one theory. There are also others... Right down to people's braces and fillings amplifying the radio frequencies.

Like I said before, I didn't find any scientific evidence that verifies the existence of audible auroras and I haven't seen or heard anything about it yet either. But I did find some interesting stuff I thought I would share..

www.orgonelab.org...

Classical aurora theory demands that aurora phenomenon occur only at altitudes many times higher up than even a high-flying jet aircraft. We know the roar of multiple jet engines from a passing high-altitude jet will arrive at the earth's surface only many tens of seconds after the jet has passed overhead, the sound propagating downward at a speed of approximately 1000 km per hour, depending upon atmospheric density. If auroral sounds were really transmitted from 100 km altitude, it would require at least six minutes for the sound to propagate downward, and this would only be possible if the aurora were exceedingly loud (louder than a jet aircraft), and in any case, most all of the audible frequencies would be dissipated long before they arrived. And, there could be no possibility of coordinated observations of auroral movement and auroral sounds.

Some efforts are being made to explain (and in some cases, to "explain away") aurora sounds as due to some kind of electrical or electromagnetic phenomenon, which people pick up in their skull bones, or in the metal fillings in their teeth, or in their eye-glass frames. This approach has not been too successful in convincing anyone, especially the people who report the audible hearing of aurora, and doubly-so for those who have observed the aurora moving "at tree-top level". The phenomena of audible auroras is a rare phenomenon, so if it were merely caused by electrical or electromagnetic transmissions from a high altitude, one would expect a lot more people to report hearing them -- but that's not the case. Audible tree-top auroras are something a person living in Alaska or Canada might witness only several times over a decade or even a lifetime, and this problem confounds the efforts of those who would forever banish the auroras to the edge of space.

The observations audible tree-top aurora, correlated with its very organic, life-like movements are highly suggestive of basic life-energetic processes as originally described by Wilhelm Reich in the 1950s (ref: Cosmic Superimposition). Such movement and activity of the aurora seem to excite ordinary people much moreso than today's crop of "unnatural" scientists, who spend more time in front of computer screens pouring over their data, than outdoors, directly observing living nature, from which their data are but only a tiny slice of reality. From this perspective, the glowing streaming currents of the aurora can be considered a primary expression of the Earth's life-energy system, in a manner analogous to the life energy which flows through the human body along acupuncture meridians, and forms an energy field which can be measured and even photographed through various methods.

There are other phenomenon which could be classified in a similar manner, notably anomalous lights which occur shortly before, during and after large earthquakes, and anomalous bluish glows observed in forested regions in daytime. There also are experiments from the work of Reich, where vacuum tubes containing almost no ionizable gasses, being evacuated well below the level necessary for ionization, will show aurora-like soft blue coloration after being charged up inside his orgone energy accumulators. We have several of these tubes at our laboratory in rural Oregon, and they emit a soft blue-grey glow simply after being stroked with the hand, without electrical excitation. Most all of these kinds of observable phenomenon have been routinely dismissed by all but a handful of scientific people, but they have been observed for generations by ordinary people. We will try to post several photos of these other phenomenon to this web page in the near future.

In a way, the "theoretical necessity" to reject audible auroras moving at close to the ground level parallels the prior rejection of meteorites by the scientific community, which steadfastly refused to believe that rocks could fall from the sky. The rocks fell, however, and the aurora does occasionally come down to the trees, even if only on rare occasions, and then apparently only for those whom the life-force chooses. Some specific examples are given below.

Scientist observes and describes loud, ground-level aurora:
"In March 1897, I was making a trip over the portage from Behring Sea to Anvik, on the Yukon River. By getting an early start on the last day we could reach Anvik before dark, so we got on the way about three o'clock in the morning. We noticed an arc form of auroral glow on the northern horizon, which seemed very quiet. Before long the shafts of color began to shoot from it toward the zenith, and in a few minutes the entire heavens were aglow with soft, golden, iridescent lights, so bright that they cast a deep shadow under the dogs and sled as we traveled along. The stratum of rarefied atmosphere producing this display, evidently was very low, for it settled down over us until the natural horizon was obscured; in fact it created its own horizon. The activities appeared to be just above the tree-tops. The intermingling and rapid shifting of the golden waves and shafts were easily distinguished. The crackling, swishing sound of the sparks seemed to be immediately around us, which was very distinct and so all-pervading as to have no location of direction. The intensity of the display lasted for about half an hour, and then gradually faded away into higher altitudes. This was the most unusual display witnessed during several years of northern experience.
These low displays and crackling sound of the Aurora are questioned by the advocates of most all theories, as these features cannot be reconciled with them. However, they are absolute facts as could be evidence by every person who has spent a winter in the north."
From: Polar Electric Theory of the Aurora Borealis-Australis and Terrestrial Magnetism, by N. V. Hendricks, Adrian, Michigan, 1945.

A compiled list of over 130 people who claim to have heard audible auroras.
members.tripod.com...

members.tripod.com...

The northern lights attract millions of people. Ever since aurora has been seen there have been people able to hear their sounds. It is not known where the sounds come from.

There is no accepted theory which can approve and explain or disprove crackling, rustling, and swishing sounds that are sometimes heard in connection with aurora. There are even doubts about the existance of these sounds. Here we describe the auroral sounds and introduce some of the most popular theories that explain them.

Most probably we will not know the right answer so soon. Scientists of northern lights are just too busy with the ionosphere where the lights originate, the Earth mangetosphere where the charged particles that create aurora are accelerated, and the solar wind that drives the whole thing.

-ChriS

[edit on 26-4-2009 by BlasteR]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join