posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:47 PM
Not too sure if you lot across the pond have heard about the scandal going on in the UK at the moment regarding MP's expenses and allowances;
External News Source
The Tories have called for MPs' second home allowances to be replaced by more limited expenses which can only be claimed for accommodation and
My understanding of expenses in a job is that if you incur a cost when carrying out your normal duties - for example a cab fair to a clients business
- then that would be paid for, and that is quite reasonable. However when reading the newspaper the other day, I was angered to find that a leading
Labour cabinet minister was claiming £312.00 for plant pots! And another £10.00 for pornagraphic movies! Its ridiculous! How can they get away with
this when normal people are struggling?
My plan, although somewhat radical - I think would work!
- Second home allowances scrapped. All non essential expenses will no longer be paid. An independant panel will decide what will and will not be
- The state will purchase a block of flats within a 10 mile radius of Westminster, preferably near a tube/main line train station. (Nothing too posh
- MP's will then be allocated a room each. Similiar to living in "halls" accomodation when at university. They will frequent this room whenever
they need to be in Westminster and on parliamentary duty. There will be a canteen serving 3 square meals a day - eliminating the need for expensive
lunches to be claimed off the tax payer!
- All MP's will be provided with weekly Travel Card, allowing them to make their way to and from work.
- Families who lived in the flats that were purchased will be allocated an MP's old second home to make up for the discomfort of being displaced.
What do you think