It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mathematics of 2012: The Coming Singularity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Singularity was kind of invented by Vernor Vinge and is now fully adopted and preached by inventor and scientist Ray Kurzweil, i think most of you have read his book "Singularity is near", its about exponential technological change.

Vernor Steffen Vinge (pronounced /ˈvɪndʒi/) (born October 2, 1944 in Waukesha, Wisconsin, U.S.) is a retired San Diego State University Professor of Mathematics, computer scientist, and science fiction author. He is best known for his Hugo Award-winning novels and novellas A Fire Upon the Deep (1992), A Deepness in the Sky (1999), Rainbows End (2006), Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004), as well as for his 1993 essay "The Coming Technological Singularity", in which he argues that exponential growth in technology will reach a point beyond which we cannot even speculate about the consequences.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Singularity is an era in which our intelligence will become increasingly nonbiological and trillions of times more powerful than it is today—the dawning of a new civilization that will enable us to transcend our biological limitations and amplify our creativity.

singularity.com...

In the coming decades, humanity will likely create a powerful artificial intelligence. The Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence (SIAI) exists to confront this urgent challenge, both the opportunity and the risk.

www.singinst.org...

Ben Goertzel
goertzel.org...

3 Laws Unsafe is a web project by the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence, a not-for-profit organization devoted to the research and implementation of human-friendly AI.

www.asimovlaws.com...

There is a lot more information on Singularity, i just selected a few links, the Singularity Inst. have gathered most talent in the field.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
There is no way to tell if we will transcend as human biological beings it could also mean artificial. Perhaps as some AI living in a computer cloud, what really baffled me was the "Are you living in a computer simulation" argument, i found this work by Nick Bostrom on the net a few years ago, its worth reading at least.
www.simulation-argument.com...

Edit: I forgot to mention, there is a movie in the making called "We are the singularity", a documentary.
www.wearethesingularity.com...

Toot.

[edit on 2009/6/5 by reugen]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
reply to post by Republican08

He shows we will hit our first peak in August 2010 and then by 2012 there is total chaos.

Hm... would the date 9-15-10 mean anything by any chance? That is a date I received during meditation that I deam to be very important. Like something I'm supposed to wait for or expect on that day.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
If I shall be a able to post a thread on 22.12.2012 ...its hall be :

Everyone who recall names of the 2012 predictors kindly post so that we can hunt them down.

I mean come one...everything seems to be working perfectly well..the most thing im afraid of is a nuclear war..and it doesnt have to do with dec 2012

Why is everybody living normally than??..im still going to work everyday something i will not do if there are only few years left

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I don't believe that all will be well, and then at the exact moment of the equinox POW a reality encompasing monumental change occurs. I believe that it will be relatively sudden but not defined to one moment. You maay very well be able to post on the 22nd, but I would bet that by then there will no longer be any question or debate that we are in the midst of a species or even all conscious reality altering event.

There is no question that things are accelerating however there is still room to debate what the change is, by 2012 the debate will long since be past.

Also for Scarcer

9-15-10 huh?
Have you been on here mentioning that date before, ever?
The reason I ask is because someone has, and it was them relating a personal thing, I think they said it was a dream. I also distinctly remember someone saying that a relative again I am think uncle but not sure, had told spoken to them about that date. Is there a prediction circulating for the time or is this just me noticing that September next year is showing up on at least several occasions here? Interesting for sure if you are not the only one.

Either way I think that by late 2010 things will have changed quite obvoiusly and the changes will rapidly increase again according to timewave theory.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
When he plotted "change" on the Y axis of a graph, I literally laughed out loud.

I'd be embarrassed to post something so obviously ludicrous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join