It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Space blob' baffles astronomers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It might not look like much, but this image represents one of the most distant objects astronomers have ever seen, 12.9 billion light years away.

It is a "Lyman-alpha blob" and is 55,000 light years across - as large as present-day galaxies.

Though younger such blobs have been found, "Himiko" confounds the idea that such large objects grew more recently by the merger of smaller ones.

The research will be published in the Astrophysical Journal.

Source: BBC

This is interesting! What could this blob be? Perhaps "electric universe" theorists have an answer for this (as they *seem to* for everything else)?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
My suspicion is that this is one notch in the bed post to support M-theory.

Perhaps if we can imagine that 'strings' of quantum foam exist in a multitude of dimensions beyond our archaic spatial awareness (addendum 1).

If we further imagine that these strings of energy exist on a macroscopic & microscopic level, perhaps even billions of light years across; my speculation proposes that we live in a Multiverse where each 'verse' exists as slices in a loaf of bread. Whenever these slices of bread touch, they explode and create massive localised energy that can be perceived as a big bang.

Perhaps the anomaly is a glimpse of the 'touch-point' of where our universe was created; a glimpse into the furnace of creation.

Just my 2c worth

Addendum 1:
I've recently come across my ideal religion called Singularitarianism. We are held back by natural evolution of the organic mind and so interfacing with computers could free us from the shackles of insular thinking. Perhaps off-topic, but what the hell, we only have 1337 days left

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this Earlier thread posted Apr 23 2009 @ 05:05 AM

Himiko is a giant object in space.

new topics

join