It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sources: GM to shut most US plants up to 9 weeks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Sources: GM to shut most US plants up to 9 weeks

finance.yahoo.com

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. is planning to temporarily close most of its U.S. factories for up to nine weeks this summer because of slumping sales and growing inventories of unsold vehicles, three people briefed on the plan said Wednesday. Analysts say the company could be seeing sales decline because of talk about a potential bankruptcy.

The exact dates of the closures are not known, but the people said they will occur around the normal two-week shutdown in July when changes are made from one model year to the next. None of the people wanted to be identified because workers have n
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just like the article says, most GM plants will be shut down, and they will start this at the time when they do the normal 2 weeks closure of their factories for changes made to their car/truck models each year, but this time the factories will be closed for 9 weeks, and not just two because of the slow sales.

The closings could be staged in mid-May and the end of July, but they state the number of plants that will be "idle' has not been determined yet.

The article further states that thousands of people could be laid off, but if the plan is only to shut fown these plants temperarily why are they talking about laying off thousands of employees?

To me it seems clear they are trying to do crowd control, while clearly stating the possibility of thousands more employees being fired.

finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I hate to be this guy, I really do.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It's already been threaded alot.

Don't feel to bad for the employees, they will still be getting paid, just not working....

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I hate to be this guy, I really do.
It's already been threaded alot.

Don't feel to bad for the employees, they will still be getting paid, just not working....

Isn't that one of the other forums where the same article can be posted?

Has this been changed?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Oops, didn't know, sorry don't flame me.

See now I can not be "that guy".

I don't have much to add to this, but I did add to another of your recent threads if you could give it a look.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As stated previously, this is a duplicate thread. Please redirect discussion to the ongoing thread found below:

Closing this thread. Please u2u me if you have any questions.

Thank You.

top topics

join