It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New flu with high mortality rate spreading in Mexico

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The Associated Press reported Saturday that 24 new suspected cases of the flu were reported in mexico.

Because of the situation, the World Health Organization planned to consider raising the world pandemic flu alert to 4 from 3. Such a high level of alert — meaning that sustained human-to-human transmission of a new virus has been detected — has not been reached in recent years, even with the H5N1 avian flu circulating in Asia and Egypt, and would “really raise the hackles of everyone around the world,” said Dr. Robert G. Webster, a flu virus expert at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis

There is no point in trying to use containment measures in the United States, he said, because the swine flu virus has already appeared from San Antonio to San Diego, without any obvious connections among cases. Containment measures usually work only when a disease is confined to a small area, he said.

A hot line fielded 2,366 calls in its first hours from frightened city residents who suspected they might have the disease

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Baxter to work on vaccine for new flu virus

This is the same company linked to the "accidental" sending out of vaccines containing a live virus recently......hmm

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The projection says the pandemic will be over around 2011. The number of victims may reach 1.2 million in California alone.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Associated Press - April 25, 2009 2:53 PM ET

"MEXICO CITY (AP) - As fears of a serious flu epidemic grow, authorities in Mexico City have suspended all public events until further notice. They're trying to contain a previously unknown strain of swine flu that may be to blame for 68 deaths in Mexico and more than 1,000 illnesses. Several non-fatal cases have turned up in Texas and California."

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Whos projection is that?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
CDC: New flu can't be contained
25/04/2009 21:35 - (SA)

Washington - An unusual new flu virus has spread widely and cannot be contained, the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed on Saturday.

"It is clear that this is widespread. And that is why we have let you know that we cannot contain the spread of this virus," the CDC's Dr Anne Schuchat told reporters on a conference call.

The strain of swine flu is suspected of killing as many as 68 people in Mexico and infecting more than 1 000 more, including eight in the United States.

- Reuters

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Students at a New York City school have tested positive for Type A influenza, CNN reported on Saturday, but more tests are needed to see if they have the unusual new flu virus involved in an outbreak in Mexico, it said.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
2 people in Kansas have it , it was on the news , my partner just shouted down the stairs and 8 children from that school have it too, the one where 75 came down with a flu like virus

just looked in google news and here's an article to confirm

[edit on 25/4/09 by cosmicpixie]

kix

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Having an Apple store in Mexico city, makes my work dangerous since we have lots of clients.
Almost everyone included myself had surgical masks and n75, the scene was eerie like a bad film or a Stephen King book.

Anyways it seems that schools willbe closed all next week, all football games will be played wit NON OPENED STADIUMS, most concerts, parties and clubs have shut down at least this weekend. Guess the threat is that serious to close everything or as much as possible in Mexico city. The army is in the streets giving free mask and all toll roads have these guys giving masks and toll workers with gloves.

They say there are no more cases found but I think by wednesday we will know for sure.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
people from mexico are emailing the BBC, one DR said that the fatality rate is much higher than what's being reported and says that 200 people is closer to the truth

source

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Is what all that paranoia about FEMA camps and death capsules i have been reading throughout this site and others like it is all about. If thats the case, i doubt all the ammo you have in stock will help you in any way.

Apr 25, 4:51 PM EDT Associated Press

Mexico may isolate flu patients, inspect homes

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- The Mexican government has issued a special decree clarifying Health Department powers to isolate patients and to inspect homes, incoming travelers and baggage to curb an outbreak of swine flu.

Officials say the decree gives clear legal authority to health department workers who might otherwise face lawsuits.

The decree published Saturday says President Felipe Calderon has authority to invoke the new powers when the situation warrants.

Mexico is struggling with a new strain of swine flu that has killed 68 and sickened more than 1,000. The World Health Organization declared the outbreak a "public health emergency of international concern."

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrallel
reply to post by stander

Whos projection is that?

You mean the projection of 1.2 million Californians succumbing to the virus?

The folks in Atlanta, namely Dr. David Sencer.

Both men were in the thick of the response to what was thought to be the start of a flu pandemic with a virus feared to be similar to the 1918 Spanish flu, which killed upwards of 50 million people worldwide.

[edit on 4/25/2009 by stander]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Oh wow! This seems to be very serious!

I live in England and I was watching about this on the news last night.

I can only assume that the government or someone is working on a vaccine? What happens if this mutates and turns even more deadly?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Can no longer gain access to hisz.rsoe.hu... for the disaster information on the currently growing epidemic in Mexico and parts of the United States. I wonder what is going on with the website. Can you guys still access it?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That site has been down most of the day which is very strange

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by parrallel

Extremely, I have never seen that website go down, especially in the midst of such an intriguing yet scary situation.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The 1918-1919 epidemic also started with only young healthy adults dying. The current information is that the same group is being hit in the current strain. The World Health Org, is considering closing borders, restricting travel, and restricting trade. As of sat. night they will not make a decision until all the fact or in, or of course until it is too late.

I have also heard that requests have been made to the US gov't to close the border with Mexico. Obama has been briefed of the dangers and resoponded that he would not close the border for any reason. I wonder who is pulling his strings? The people who released this weapons grade bio-weapon might be a good guess.

This could be a back door means for gun control. Look at what fema did durning Hurricane Katrina down in New Orleans. All firearms were confinscated, the people had no means to defend themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
same here,i check that website at least 4 times a day for the last 3 months and have never seen it go off! not good

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Here is a report from the WHO about the epidemic:

24 April 2009 -- The United States Government has reported seven confirmed human cases of Swine Influenza A/H1N1 in the USA (five in California and two in Texas) and nine suspect cases. All seven confirmed cases had mild Influenza-Like Illness (ILI), with only one requiring brief hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

The Government of Mexico has reported three separate events. In the Federal District of Mexico, surveillance began picking up cases of ILI starting 18 March. The number of cases has risen steadily through April and as of 23 April there are now more than 854 cases of pneumonia from the capital. Of those, 59 have died. In San Luis Potosi, in central Mexico, 24 cases of ILI, with three deaths, have been reported. And from Mexicali, near the border with the United States, four cases of ILI, with no deaths, have been reported.

Here is the link to the entire report:

www.who.int...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I saw that there are 2 new confirmed cases in Kansas, United States and 8 suspected cases in Queens, New York, United States. My question is, as is many others, why so virulent in Mexico and not so in the United States... Either way, the health organizations need be wary because regardless if it is not as virulent in the United States, it being spread wide and far is asking for a mutation that could be it more virulent in the United States.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join