It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Space Blob Discovered At Cosmic Dawn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (Apr. 23, 2009) — Using information from a suite of telescopes, astronomers have discovered a mysterious, giant object that existed at a time when the universe was only about 800 million years old. Objects such as this one are dubbed extended Lyman-Alpha blobs; they are huge bodies of gas that may be precursors to galaxies.

This blob was named Himiko for a legendary, mysterious Japanese queen. It stretches for 55 thousand light years, a record for that early point in time. That length is comparable to the radius of the Milky Way's disk.

The researchers are puzzled by the object. Even with superb data from the world's best telescopes, they are not sure what it is. Because it is one of the most distant objects ever found.

I hope I did this right.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by grover]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
As they look further back in time the weirder things become. This space blob the size of the milky way is one of the oddest.

On one hand it would be interesting to know what it is but on the other hand we need mysteries to keep us engaged and interested.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
As I stated in another thread, my belief is that it is made of "swamp gas" and should be called "the Fart of God!"

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
OH that is bad so very bad...

... but then again I thought of saying that I have been referred to as a huge blob of gas before myself.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
JESUS comes in a cloud that all earth shall see..

new topics

top topics

join