It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Leviathan of Tecoluta

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Apologies if anything about this has already been posted. My searches yielded nothing, so I'm assuming it's safe to go ahead with this thread.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59e4de910e39.jpg[/atsimg]

The monster, in one of the only widely-distributed photos of it.

I'm assuming I'm not the only person on this site who's read about the mysterious case of the gargantuan sea monster that washed ashore of Tecoluta, Mexico in March of 1969.

Perhaps if you were around back then you would've heard of it. Maybe not. It quickly became an international media sensation after it's initial appearance, though it was shallowly dismissed, which I'll cover later in this post. Now, onto the story itself:

The dead beast that washed up on the Tecoluta beach was described as weighing as much as 35 tons. It was also described as being serpentine in appearance, and covered with jointed armor-like plates. The creature also had a 10 foot horn protruding from its head that was estimated to weight at around a ton.

The first biologists to study the creature were completely baffled but initially reported the creature to be a narwhal. They eventually relented, though, and admitted that the creature could not be matched to any sea creature known to man.

The international media covered the story for a while, sensationalizing it as a prehistoric monster washing up on a sunny Mexican beach.

On April 20, 1969, a commission of seven scientists that had studied the beast further concluded that it was a decomposing Rorqual whale, also known as a finback whale. They also decided that the badly decomposing body should be buried immediately because it was of no more use for research.

A political battle between the commission and the mayor of Tecoluta erupted as the mayor sought to keep the smelly corpse as a tourist attraction. Eventually the mayor 'won' and the carcass remained on shore until it was either totally destroyed by nature or washed back out to sea.

The seven-man commission reported that they were 'satisfied' with their findings about the creature's identity.

However, many people have found problems with the strange antics and explanations of the scientific commission.

Rorqual whales do not possess any sort of horn-like protrusion, nor do they have armor plating. Regardless of this glaring problem with the commission's explanation, they still kept up that the beast was a Rorqual.

And a question: why were they so intent to have the creature buried as soon as possible? Surely they weren't concerned only with the terrible stench of the decaying body?

As far as I know, nobody has been able to provide any definite explanation as to what the Tecoluta sea beast really was, unless you buy into the scientists' Rorqual theory.

Here are a few links to sites and articles about the Tecoluta incident, though because of the limited information surrounding it, most of the information is the same from site to site:

Strange Mag has a mini-article about it towards the bottom of the page.

American Monsters is more in-depth regarding the story.

Feel free to go and see if you can turn up any more on Google.

One last note: the American Monsters article claims that the Tecoluta monster bears similarities to other creatures identified as "The Ataka Carcass," "Mentigi Monster" and "Suwarrow Island Devilfish." I'm not familiar with these reported sea creatures, so if anyone has any information to share, it'd be great to see. In the meantime I'm gonna be reading up on them on my own.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. I'd love to see others' thoughts, opinions and additions to this strange story.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Sorry, but I don't have enough room to edit my other post.

As far as I can tell, the photo I provided has never been proven to be actually linked to the Tecoluta monster. I probably should have done a bit more research before jumping into it.

So judge the photo at your own discretion. It could either be a legit photo of the monster, something completely unrelated, or a hoax started in regards to the actual case of the sea monster. I'm not really sure.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i thought this was proven to be the rotting carcas of a sperm whale or some type of whale??

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
i dont know what it is, but please refrain from using the term "leviathan" when describing a sea beast. the leviathan is mystical and evil creature which wont probably show up till the end of the world. call it a sea monster, or anything else. nessy and other creatures of water should never be compared to a leviathan.

but anyway, its a neat pic. i dont see any horn or armor plating though, so as u said, it probably isnt even related

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
To shore things up(no pun intended) not talking about the Bibles description, the Leviathan was a mythical sea serpent said to be so long that it could curl itself around the world(i talking about underwater.) and its eyes were so bright that it could illuminate the water up to a a couple thousands of feet. Obviously, this was a myth, btu just think if this monster was real. Incredible to think about really. But, to OP, nice find and very interesting picture. I wish that they could find a picture of the Tecoluta beach monster, sounds to be an interesting thing to behold. S&F, nice find.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic Rights

ive actually done quite a bit of reasearching on this photo and the story behind it and personally i think its one of the most legit cases of unproven cryptozoology ive seen in awhile.

IMHO they attempted to cover this up because there are several excuses for what could possibly be in the photo

1. Rorqual "Finback" Whale
2. Narwhal
3. A Badly Decomposed Beaked Whale
4. Globster

I can honestly say that i cant even begin to have a clue what is in this picture, to me it dosent look like any creature i know of, but its bulk and the tusk and what appears to be a large eye socket for some reason gives me the vibe that it was herbivorous and incredibly large, maybe somewhere around 60, 70, maybe even 80 feet long, reports say the tusk retrieved from the carcass was one ton, so this creature would have been immensley heavy full bodied.

the creature looks like it would be serpentine and whale like, the reason i say this is because of the shape of the head, and the sheer mass it looks to posess.

there were many stories told about the removal of the remains, all inefficent and far fetched, fitting the source of a hoax. but this is one of the few cases that i believe very strongly in.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have been researching this since the news stories first came out about it in 1969. I can assure you it is no whale or any known animal on earth. I will cover this fully in a new book of mine soon to be released. Also a near match of this animal was found and what they do not mention is the numerous groups of scientist previously that had checked it out and could not find any known animal that it could be. The person mentioning the horn and not seeing scales I suggest you look at it again I am astounded you do not see them. The horn you can clearly see were it was cut off and the interlocking scales are super easy to see look down at the base of the creatures neck and you can clearly see that. As well there is a old film of one scientist with one of the scales sadly I cannot find this documentary on monsters however I recall seeing it in the 70s I have never been able to find it. I also suspect that some people would of grabbed one of the scales off of it as a keep sake. Anyway as well you can clearly see nostrils on the side of it and the eye is not fully eaten away indicating at that point it was not fully rotted and so closer to looks of when it was first found. Eyeballs are one of the first things to vanish off a carcass. As well Narwhal maximum size of tusk aka horn which ever you prefer is 22 pounds that is a far cry from a ton horn and no creature on earth has such a thing.
Out of all the sea serpent carcass ever found this one is by far the most impressive and a true dinosaur like creature. It probably lives like whales and can hold it's breath for ages and probably fights with giant squid. Also there is numerous reports of a similar creature being witnessed with the same kind of scaling especially in the 1700s and previous. This creature now may be extinct not much modern sightings fit it exactly however it may not be do to their is a huge trench not far from there that maybe this animal normally lives and may surface not fully and use it's nostrils to inhale air and go down again. What ever the case at least in 1969 a true giant of a unknown species lived on our planet and I hope it still does.
The ridicules statement that it was proved to be a whale is tottal hogwash and nobody with a knowledge of whales could back up the statement. Again no whale on earth has a giant tusk or horn. No whale has huge interlocking scales. And very few whales or any known sea animal can reach the size of it when first found. Only blue whales and a few other species of whale can remotely come close to the size of the animal in the first place. I am astounded why people are so sceptical about unknown animals when typically every year dozens to hundreds of new species are described including in the United states in fact recently a unknown species of Turtle in the USA and three lizard like species , fish the list goes on and on. New species of dolphins to whales to monkeys. There is no such thing as a monster all it is a unknown species of animal not registered yet in scientific data bases and if you look around the world of the many new ones found yearly and how bizarre some of them are from the Hippo crab which by the way looks near identical to a hippo lol to lizards that look like spider man exact same color and patterns then ask yourself why are people so sceptical? It is because many ages ago the word monsters was used making it sound imaginary when in reality it simply is a family or unclassified animal of a known family and no real monsters have ever existed.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: deathhawk21
i dont know what it is, but please refrain from using the term "leviathan" when describing a sea beast. the leviathan is mystical and evil creature which wont probably show up till the end of the world. call it a sea monster, or anything else. nessy and other creatures of water should never be compared to a leviathan.

but anyway, its a neat pic. i dont see any horn or armor plating though, so as u said, it probably isnt even related
evil is a little harsh

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConspiracySquid7
To shore things up(no pun intended) not talking about the Bibles description, the Leviathan was a mythical sea serpent said to be so long that it could curl itself around the world(i talking about underwater.) and its eyes were so bright that it could illuminate the water up to a a couple thousands of feet. Obviously, this was a myth, btu just think if this monster was real. Incredible to think about really. But, to OP, nice find and very interesting picture. I wish that they could find a picture of the Tecoluta beach monster, sounds to be an interesting thing to behold. S&F, nice find.
wraping itself around the world is a big grip. Shining like the sun through the depths of darkness. Don't flatter the Lord over all who are proud or he may encircle bounds beyond earth.

join