It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Earth Like Planet Gliese 581c - 'Exploring the Unexplained' reports!!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is a compilation of videos of the new Earth like planet revolving a Red Dwarf Star in another solar system that was recently found. Its about 120 trillion miles away(20 lys). Scientist believe that it has liquid oceans and sandy beaches. Its 1x the size of earth. Dont really know if anyone else has posted information about the find so here you go!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great find. Everyday more and more is coming from out of the dark into the light.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Sorry first links didnt work these should:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=khybIEb5sKg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTjAmop688
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ol-0c5M3aE

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cellush100
If you click the "YouTube Video" option above this text box, put in the letters and numbers of your first video, which is :

khybIEb5sKg

your first video will show up,

I hope they have theoretical artist's impressions of the planet itself. I hope I see some freaky animals like massive sea beasts or otherworldly birds thrown in, I like art like that. Thanks for the links!

[edit on 23-4-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
wow. this is an exciting find for sure. S&F for you for posting this. im sure we shall be hearing lots more about this planet in the future!!!

whats the chances of man travelling that far if they were certain they could inhabit the place? how long would it take to get there?

G

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Gliese 581 e is almost twice the mass of Earth and is far too close to its star to support life. It is not Earthlike
www.eso.org...

Gliese 581 d is eight times the mass of Earth, may have an atmosphere and may have liquid water. It is probably tidally locked with its star and because of that the climate would be nasty in the extreme. It is not Earthlike.
astroprofspage.com...

Gliese 581 c is 5 times the mass of Earth and is also probably tidally locked with its star. Both things making it not Earthlike.
www.sciencebits.com...

And yes, it's been discussed.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks god someone has a clue. well done

the public see the phrase "earth like" and they imagine soemthing its not. Although this is really the goal of the astronomers to jazz it up to gain more interest / funding.

when we start finding terrestrial planets around g type stars we'll never here about the gliese system ever again.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
NewScientist Article

hope this helps

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nzldude
NewScientist Article

hope this helps

it does - thanks!

The fact that it is not "Earthlike" is pretty irrelevant to the bigger picture.

If Gliese 581d is indeed made up of mostly water it could still be a pretty compelling candidate for life even if it was tidally locked.

At least one side of that planet should be at the right temperature for life at some depth. And if it was completely homogeneous (i.e. covered in water) and not rotating wouldn't that actually make the overall climate a lot more stable?

Even if it was completely frozen on one side - it would be like a big puddle of water sitting on permafrost underneath a heat lamp...

Sounds like a pretty interesting Petri dish to me.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

well theyve not said what albedo they used to calculate the surface temp. I wonder why?

secondly theyve not shown any gravitational calculations which show the forces being exerted on the planet by the star. Even if it was smaller like gliese e the gravitational forces are so large that it was cause massive disruption to the intererior & surface of the planet. A smaller planet in the HZ is more likely to have oceans of magma than water like ours.

M stars are quite frankly terrible and the more we learn the worse they get for hosting complex life.

This planet is so big it will have a cloud deck miles thick no sunlight will even reach the surface. This planet is more like neptune than earth.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The fact that anyone says probably is an indication that they're not 100% certain. We don't know what conditions are necessary to support life that we know nothing about. Look at some of the life that we have discovered on earth in conditions that were deemed unlivable. This is why theories about the universe are just that. We don't know it all, and probably don't know much about the mysteries of the universe and the life it may support.

top topics

join