It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't ATS show the amount of views you thread recieves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I really need a good/ solid answer.

I tend to think that my message might recieve a million views... but who knows?

ATS thinks differently... Why?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
That used to be a feature on the boards. However, as the boards grew it became a burden on the servers and was abandoned. Granted it was a nifty feature, but added little to no value in the long run.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Posted by SO on another thread:

The views tally has been disabled, possibly permanently.

We are exceptionally unique as far as "discussion boards" go. More than 80% (sometimes up to 90%) of all our daily traffic is from non-members. And during the month of October, we've been averaging about 100,000 visits a day, with an average page-views (of content pages) over 550,000 daily. That's a crap-load of activity.

Incrementing the views counter requires a write action to the database on every one of those page-loads. And as any database administrator will tell you, write (updates) are the most intensive tasks. We were experiencing some performance issues, and once we disabled the views-tally, the issues were cleared up.

So it's the constant balancing act of ensuring all our content is available in a fast and efficient way, along with a long list of unique services for members.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
That used to be a feature on the boards. However, as the boards grew it became a burden on the servers and was abandoned. Granted it was a nifty feature, but added little to no value in the long run.

FALSE.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Posted by SO on another thread:

The views tally has been disabled, possibly permanently.

We are exceptionally unique as far as "discussion boards" go. More than 80% (sometimes up to 90%) of all our daily traffic is from non-members. And during the month of October, we've been averaging about 100,000 visits a day, with an average page-views (of content pages) over 550,000 daily. That's a crap-load of activity.

Incrementing the views counter requires a write action to the database on every one of those page-loads. And as any database administrator will tell you, write (updates) are the most intensive tasks. We were experiencing some performance issues, and once we disabled the views-tally, the issues were cleared up.

So it's the constant balancing act of ensuring all our content is available in a fast and efficient way, along with a long list of unique services for members.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

But what if my message got 1,000,00 views on text?

If I make avideo and it gets 1,000,000 views... atleast I will know.

It doesn't slow down the server = myth

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

You asked a question, and I provided you with an honest answer.

[edit on 4/23/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

But what if my message got 1,000,00 views on text?

Yes, what if?

If I make avideo and it gets 1,000,000 views... atleast I will know.

Now if it gets no views you can assume it had 1,000,000

It doesn't slow down the server = myth

Hey I'm just the messenger.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
As this is a question dealing with an ATS issue, I suggest it be asked on the appropriate thread.

ATS Issues Thread

Thread closed.

top topics

join