It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know anything about computer processor GHz ratings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Sometimes the dumbest, simplest question turns out to be a trick question. Not this one, I promise, 'cause when it comes to processors I'm a dummy.

I'm buying a new laptop. I'm going to buy it from HP, but I'll be customizing all the options, including the processor. Here's my question:

Lets say I have two identical machines placed side-by-side, though one has a 2 GHz duo processor while the other one has a 2.5 or 3 GHz duo processor (they both have the same amount of RAM).

Would the one with a 2.5/3 GHz duo processor run considerably faster for surfing the Internet and working with Adobe programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop or would there be virtually no difference in speed?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
My rule of thumb is always. Buy as much as you can afford at the beginning, especially with laptops. If you can get the faster processor, there won't be the temptation to upgrade later.

Processor speed doesn't really fall under the law of diminishing returns, like memory does. The faster, the better.

Hope that helped..and congrats on the new 'puter!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If the CPUs are from the same type then the higher the frequency at which they execute the instructions the better, specially in computing intensive task, like rendering 3D images.

To surf the Internet or for work with Dreamweaver and Photoshop, the difference is not that noticeable as would be a difference in the amount of memory available, unless you plan to use many filters with very large images.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
While the GHz rating is important, it's more of a sales-pitch than an actual bench mark as of recently. The main thing (IMHO) you want to look for in a CPU is how much L2 cache it has. That's usually a good indicator as to the quality of the CPU and it makes a HUGE difference in the performance of the computer. My 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It's not only dependant on GHZ - it's also dependant on the archetecture. For example, a Core 2 duo will be twice the performance of a Pentium 4 for the same clock speed WHILE also having twice the cores. So a 1.83ghz Core 2 duo has about as much power as a 3.6ghz Pentium 4 Dual Core. However, it goes further.

There are different models of each processor. The Core 2 duo has different series, each with slightly different architecture, bus speeds, and cache. If those are identical then going from 2.0ghz to 2.5ghz is NOT a big deal - I'd probably go for the 2.0ghz version if it's significantly cheaper. That being said, if the 2.5ghz is a Penryn T9xxx series Core 2 duo versus a 2.0ghz Merom T5xxx or T7xxx series Core 2 duo then you should DEFINITELY go for the T9xxx series.

So to answer your question, go for a T9xxx Core 2 processor, over anything else. Going from 2.0 to 2.5ghz probably won't be a big price increase. Going from 2.5ghz to 3.0ghz will. I think the 2.5ghz would be best.... what are the prices anyway?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Honestly, it won't make a huge difference. It really all depends on the amount of system memory and even video memory. The more the better. A Dual Core Pentium (the 2160 and 2180 )and a Core 2 Duo Pentium is the exact same thing except for the cache of the chip and the bus speed. BUT these Dual Core and Core 2 duo are really nice chips and are highly overclockable. You can overclock a 1.6gig dual-core pentium to around 2.2ghz to 2.5ghz.

Bud316

top topics

join