It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Budget 2009: Alistair Darling targets rich with 50% tax

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

How can we "level the playing field" in that scenario? Attempting to throw money at state schools hasn't worked, nor has encouraging working class children to stay in school by effectively bribing them (EMA).

University courses in the humanities have been devalued immensely by shoving people into them when they are either actually incapable or uninclined to truly learn.

How can we change the situation? How can we breed aspiration in the working class? I'm only asking because its a major question that I have struggled with for a long time. I'm involved in a charity that matches professional scientists with bright working class children who are actively interested in science. Would that work more generally in your opinion? Science is a bit of an aberration... its a self selecting sample because it's very rare to find a child who is interested in it any more. How can aspirations be bred more systematically in the lower classes?

It's a tough question, and I just don't think there is a real answer. I think that those who must move will do so by their own volition. The welfare control suggestion is a good idea... it would be a fire under some people.

Again from your story, I don't think you were lucky at all. If you had just been lucky to read the paper, you might not have got the offer if you didn't have the skills to match it up. More broadly speaking, are skills being wasted in our country? Perhaps... but I'd wager that most people with a true talent or aptitude end up where they can best perform.

I do not think that anyone who is born poor is bad... far from it. I reserve the highest amount of respect for those who come from humble beginnings and end up successful.
Nor do I dislike anyone who ends up poor. Who am I to judge them? (Except in the case of benefits, when I am forced to support them unduly).

I reserve my dislike for those who claim that the successful are the cause of their situation and misfortune.

To borrow a turn of phrase, I dislike people who allow their situation to define who they are.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I just thought I'd share this with you guys (especially you, pieman).

These are the people you propose to penalise for their hard work and success.

I was born in a coal mining village in the North East of England and am the first male in my family not to be a coal miner. My father worked at the Rising Sun Pit and both my grandfathers worked at Backworth Colliery.

I get so angry when people assume that high-earners are all "Champagne Charlies" working in the City. We're not like that at all, we work hard. I've never had an inheritance or family money. I've achieved everything through hard work.

I'm self-employed and this year my taxable income will be over £150,000. I started my own company in 2002 with £1,000 I'd saved from a previous job.

I'm 24 years old and went to a normal grant-maintained school in Staffordshire. My social life is non-existent, I spend all my time working and I don't go on holiday, I don't have the time. I'm busy building up my business and working hard.

I'm from Staffordshire and this is where I've built up my business but now I'm seriously thinking about moving abroad. I feel I've been forced out of the UK economy.

I just think "what's the point?", I'm giving away hard-earned money and I'm not confident that the government is spending it on the right things.

Read the views of those affected by the 50% tax rate here

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

My point proven.

The rich are not even effected by this, those who worked hard for their wealth are though.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I may take things out of context but do not ever accuse me of being a liar!!
That is one thing I assure you I have never been and take deep offence at the accusation.
Maybe it is the smug arrogant way that you word thing's the make's people take thing's out of context.

I have never been so incensed by something someone has said here on ATS.
A difference of opinion I can accept, and indeed enjoy, but such a gross, unfounded accusation I find deplorable.

In my world such disgraceful insults are dealt with very harshly, you are a very lucky person.

I have always had the utmost respect for you as your arguements have always been well reasoned and thought provoking.

I now feel nothing but contempt for you for casting such a disgraceful slur!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

No, you accused me of suggesting that everyone on welfare, regardless of personal circumstances, should be denied the vote. I never said that.

Yes, after 24 hours, I might have over reacted slightly (apologies) but I never said such a statement.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Pompous prats. We dont even want them in power. why cant they cut down all MP's pay to a maximum of £50,000 and remove all expenses. this will save a lot of cash.

Also stop plegding billions in aid to charities each year, yeah its a nice thing to do but not with tax payers money ffs!! Especially when things are going pretty crappy in our own country.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Misinterpretating something is one thing; being accused of lying is considered one of the greatest insults possible in some circles and quite something else!
I sincerely hope you understand and appreciate the difference.

Still, no harm done and no permanent offence has been taken on my part.

I personally agree with higher taxation for higher earners AND corporations and very large companies etc.
It is obscene that Tesco can announce record profits in the current climate.
However, I also understand that the level of £150,000 maybe a tadge low and restrictive to some smaller buisnessmen.

As I stated earlier, it is a populist move and will have very little impact on the debt this country has incurred by bailing the banks out.

One last point; just because an individual has a different point of view it does not mean that they are intellectually inferior, it is simply that they have a different opinion - none of us see the world through the same eyes!
That is why society must be fluid and allow diversity, something which elitist approaches tend to stifle.

I admire the arrogance and self-belief of youth, but it has to be tempered sometimes with the experience that middle and old age bring.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Can some please tell me why it is so great to tax the rich obscene amounts? Surely if you have worked your way up to a position where the pay is good then you deserve to be able to keep it. It is basically taxing people for being successful.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join