It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emanuel reminded of being Jewish; says: There will be a Two-state Solution in the Next 4 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Emanuel reminded of being Jewish; says: There will be a Two-state Solution in the Next 4 Years

www.jpost.com

National Union chairman Ya'acov "Ketzele" Katz sent a letter to White House chief-of-staff Rahm Emanuel last week admonishing him not to forget his Jewish and Israeli origins.

Katz's missive came in response to a reported verbal exchange between Emanuel and an unidentified American Jewish leader.

Katz claims that in a private meeting with the unnamed leader, Emanuel said, "In the next four years, there will be a peace agreement with the Palestinians on the basis of two states for two peoples, and it does not matter to us who is the prime minister."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Lieberman: U.S. to accept any Israeli policy decision

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

In the letter, a Hebrew version of which was provided to The Jerusalem Post by Katz's parliamentary aide, Katz wrote: "For many Israelis, this report is a cause for worry because it reveals a condescending attitude toward our prime minister and Israeli public opinion. This is an attitude that Israel does not expect from a real friend such as the US, and all the more so from an Israeli Jew who has succeeded in being appointed White House chief-of-staff."

Katz went on to compare Emanuel to the biblical Esther, who ended up at using her influence with Persian King Ahashverosh to intervene on behalf of the Jews of the Persian Empire. "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Katz wrote, quoting from the Book of Esther (4:14).

Katz was hinting that Emanuel should use his influence to protect Israeli interests, which, he believes, are best served by preventing the creation of a Palestinian state in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

In November, Emanuel said US President Barack Obama did not need his influence to "orientate his policy toward Israel."

Meanwhile, the National Union said it was never officially notified by the Likud that it would not be entering the new government coalition.

"Basically, we are still waiting for a telephone call," Harel Cohen, secretary of the NU's rabbinic council, said on Sunday.

"Up until the swearing in of the new government, we were still receiving signals from the Likud that we were wanted in the coalition," Cohen said.

He also said that in principle, there was nothing in the Netanyahu government's platform that would prevent the NU from joining the coalition.

"Obviously, if the present government adopts a 'two-states for two peoples' solution, that would be problematic. But so far that has not happened."

The NU's rabbinic council, which gives final approval for all of the party's political decisions, released a letter of support for Katz.

The council, whose members include Hebron-Kiryat Arba Rabbi Dov Lior, Beit El Rabbi Zalman Melamed and Rabbi Ya'acov Yosef, son of Shas spiritual mentor Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, responded to claims that Katz had made "outrageous demands" that kept the NU out of the coalition.

Rather, according to the rabbis, it was a sudden, inexplicable change of mood in the Likud.

Very interesting that this story coincides with the following story:

The Obama Administration will put forth new peace initiatives only if Israel wants it to, said Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman in his first comprehensive interview on foreign policy since taking office.

"Believe me, America accepts all our decisions," [Avigdor] Lieberman told the Russian daily Moskovskiy Komosolets.

From the first source is it clear that many Israelis don't want a two-state solution. Yet, their politicians have hypocritically been claiming for years that they do want a two-state solution, under the pre-condition that the Palestinians would recognize Israel. In my opinion, not such an unreasonable pre-condition, but it now seems they have only been saying this to keep the world quiet. With other others, by showing that it is not them who don't want peace, but the Palestinians.

I am extremely happy and surprised that the US really seems to change it policy towards Israel. I don't have high hopes, as the Israeli lobby is the most powerful in the world and very much influences America's foreign policy, but it is a start. The over-desperate people of Palestine deserve a future, give them economic freedom and their own state, give them a future!

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Wow this indeed IS an interesting article. I too dont buy one bit of it but think about this just one moment. If Obama DID manage to broker peace and a true two state solution he would go down as a good president and I dont give a crap what ANYONE here says. We have been trying to broker peace there for decades and lets face it this is a war that has been going on for 2000 years. If this really is the truth I will be in 100% agreement with Obamas foreign policy. Economic is another issue but well stick to foreign on this one.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Wow, so the question I have is, is Emmanuel going to protect his faith, or his nation? Or are they the same thing?

I am concerned about an Israeli citizen citing "... if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish." to an American Executive branch cabinet member.

I have a problem with the whole picture of Israeli leaders calling upon some level of loyalty that is meant to override a public servants responsibility and duty to act in the interest of his nation first and foremost.

But I am still uncertain of 'who' Mr. Emmanuel is working for.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

But I am still uncertain of 'who' Mr. Emmanuel is working for.

That is the wildcard in this and that is why Im not buying it. Emmanuel is a hardcore guy to say the least and for him to support peace really doesnt ring right with me but Ill sit back and remain optimistic. Im impressed with Obama's foreign policy so far reaching out to places like Iran, Venezuela, and Cuba but lets see it might all be smoke in mirrors.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me what the problem is that israel has with a two state solution?

Are they afraid of an organized army of Palestinians?

Right now, they give them power and basic supplies each day on their own dollar, wouldn't it be cheaper and better for israel if they had their own country so israel did not have to babysit them anymore?

Why does israel want to keep them without an economy and organized army/government, even if they have to pay to keep it that way?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I won't bore you with quotes and links... they are all over the place.

Essentially, the guiding principle of the Israeli Government (not necessarily her people) is that there is no Palestine, and never will be. They are said to be dedicated to eventually displacing the lot, and claiming the land for themselves.

Sadly, many simply refuse to accept that along with those declarations made by Israeli leaders the evidence of their actions demonstrates that this policy has not abated and is still being pursued.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
what sort of solution is anything going to be for the arabs. If i was arab i would never trust the uk/israel/usa tri country.

Just look at the deeds of those people, and not the words.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with U.S. relations with Israel and everything to do with Iran. Obamaemanuel have enough double speak/act in them to confuse the most ardent observer. Israel need not worry, they have AIPAC on their side. Could even be that Obama has made another phone call to tell them they need not worry... "it's just rhetoric".

Obamaemanuel just need Iran and, for now, they have to speak like this in order to get them.

According to Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, on April 12th:

www.nytimes.com... ef=opinion

Here’s one normalization scenario:

Iran ceases military support for Hamas and Hezbollah; adopts a “Malaysian” approach to Israel (nonrecognition and noninterference); agrees to work for stability in Iraq and Afghanistan; accepts intrusive International Atomic Energy Agency verification of a limited nuclear program for peaceful ends only; promises to fight Qaeda terrorism; commits to improving its human rights record.

The United States commits itself to the Islamic Republic’s security and endorses its pivotal regional role; accepts Iran’s right to operate a limited enrichment facility with several hundred centrifuges for research purposes; agrees to Iran’s acquiring a new nuclear power reactor from the French; promises to back Iran’s entry into the World Trade Organization; returns seized Iranian assets; lifts all sanctions; and notes past Iranian statements that it will endorse a two-state solution acceptable to the Palestinians.

Interesting, how this timing thing goes, isn't it??

[edit on 22/4/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
OR.
We could make one country of Palestisrael.

Oh wait, religion and greed and racism kind of make that impossible, eh?

Too bad.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is great news if true. If the Administration really is ready to shirk the hawks in Israel in order to achieve a two state solution, then thumbs up for them.

Unfortunately, Israel and Iran won't benefit from a two-state solution...and I doubt the majority in Palestine would want anything less than the 1967 borders for Israel, and I doubt Israel would be willing to give up the land they've acquired since then.

My forecast:

Palestinian suffering with a 98% chance of Iranian grandstanding and a good amount of angry precipitation from Zionists, while it looks like further to the West the US Administration will throw up its hands in frustration and give up because neither side is willing to budge on their demands.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
This has nothing to do with U.S. relations with Israel and everything to do with Iran. Obamaemanuel have enough double speak/act in them to confuse the most ardent observer. Israel need not worry, they have AIPAC on their side. Could even be that Obama has made another phone call to tell them they need not worry... "it's just rhetoric".

Obamaemanuel just need Iran and, for now, they have to speak like this in order to get them.

According to Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, on April 12th:

www.nytimes.com... ef=opinion

Here’s one normalization scenario:

Iran ceases military support for Hamas and Hezbollah; adopts a “Malaysian” approach to Israel (nonrecognition and noninterference); agrees to work for stability in Iraq and Afghanistan; accepts intrusive International Atomic Energy Agency verification of a limited nuclear program for peaceful ends only; promises to fight Qaeda terrorism; commits to improving its human rights record.

The United States commits itself to the Islamic Republic’s security and endorses its pivotal regional role; accepts Iran’s right to operate a limited enrichment facility with several hundred centrifuges for research purposes; agrees to Iran’s acquiring a new nuclear power reactor from the French; promises to back Iran’s entry into the World Trade Organization; returns seized Iranian assets; lifts all sanctions; and notes past Iranian statements that it will endorse a two-state solution acceptable to the Palestinians.

Interesting, how this timing thing goes, isn't it??

[edit on 22/4/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

So even though the the UN and the majority of the world leaders think 2 states IS the solution, that because Pres. Ackmud says he also is for it, is reason to dismiss it?

He also thinks the sun should come up tomorrow, should we try to stop it?

top topics

join