It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia moves troops closer to Georgia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Russia moves troops closer to Georgia

news.yahoo.com

AKHMAJI, Georgia – At a military checkpoint between Georgia and its breakaway region of South Ossetia, the word "Russia" is hand-painted in pink on a concrete security barrier.

"It will be Russia," said a Russian army lieutenant as the Ossetian soldiers under his command nodded.

"And Georgia used to be Russian, too," said the young freckle-faced lieutenant, who would give only his first name, Sergei. Three armored personnel carriers and a tank were dug in around the checkpoint.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It appears the MSM is beginning to demonize Russia. I'm not sure where the EU and NATO plan on going with this but it will only result in a huge mess.

I would like to know "Why provoke Russia?" What is the ultimate objective of all of this?

Logic and reason don't really seem to be driving this. Historically thats quite normal in a ramp up to major conflict. No one ever thinks.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Damn. This looks really bad. I wish our leaders would behave. Nobody wants war but the people who send out the troops. I hope America wakes up from it's media induced coma of selfishness and read between the lines... Thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
its the same with this missile system they want to build in poland. what a joke.

look what happened last time russia tried to do some bad moves near the US. ie - cuba.

its like they are prodding a sleeping animal then it wakes up one day and bites you!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I would like to know "Why provoke Russia?" What is the ultimate objective of all of this?

Well, the reason we did it last time seemed to be the same reason our government does most things. Georgia was paying a lot of money to lobbyists to influence our government on their behalf. www.huffingtonpost.com...

Although, I am sure that there is more to it than simply lobbying. A lot of people made a lot of money off of the cold war. So the idea of being able to trigger another one would certainly be profitable.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

It appears the MSM is beginning to demonize Russia. I'm not sure where the EU and NATO plan on going with this but it will only result in a huge mess.

Logic and reason don't really seem to be driving this. Historically thats quite normal in a ramp up to major conflict. No one ever thinks.

You have no idea how much I agree with what you just said.

Unfortunately, when world events don't add up logically, it's usually because there's something key you're not being told... something your government would be ashamed of telling you.

And yes, it's senseless.

South Ossetia wants to join Russia... that much is blatantly obvious.
Georgia doesn't want to give up South Ossetia, but at the same time, doesn't want to involve South Ossetia in the national government... nor provide representation for them in the national government what so ever.

-Under Georgian rule, South Ossetia gets no federal recognition, nor assistance.

-South Ossetia wants to separate as a result.

-Georgia refuses to let them, and even goes as far as shelling South Ossetia in an attempt to punish them for wanting to separate.

- Russia offers South Ossetia assistance, offers to open their borders to South Ossetia, and re-enforces the border with Georgia effectively stopping the artillery bombardment Georgia was performing.

- NATO, in some hair brained sense of loyalty to Georgia, is demanding Russia stop protecting South Ossetia.

Free nations are supposed to hold referendums when their provinces want to separate, not shell them as a punishment!

So Nato is now attempting to provoke Russia... playing chicken with a huge military power, and the possibility of igniting a world war.
... for what?
... so Georgia can have the ability to shell their own people as they see fit?

It's lunacy.
Is there no-one making decisions in Nato?
Or is it run strictly by scripture?

All NATO has to do is tell Georgia they're not a member until they hold a referendum.

Let the South Ossetians vote.
That's it... that's all.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Instead of triggering a cold war it could easily trigger a hot war. No one ever thinks about these things when they do them. Practically every major conflict starts out with people not thinking.

Take World War One for instance millions dead, four empires collapsed, and global economic collapse for what?

Because Serbia refused to assist Austria in investigating the assassination of the the imperial heir to the throne Archduke Franz Ferdinand. It all went straight to hell from there.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

you are correct. its really chilling how world war 1 started. i remember seeing a documentary about this a while ago and i was stunned. a world war over something so seemingly insignificant.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I think the end is near for Saakashvili and the Georgians this Administration is looking to renew ties with the Russians and the opposition towards Saakashvili's government makes helping him pointless.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It takes only 40 minutes for russian tanks in Abkhazia to reach Tsibili... so you could go to the supermarket and come back and Russia would have taken over Georgia...

IMO Russia wouldn't move unless the protestors would take over the capital... and even then...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I don't know if the people who make these decisions really see much of a difference between a cold war and a hot one. There is even more room for profit in a hot war. They can play both sides and even secure the rebuilding contracts.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Karl,what makes you think there will be anything to re-build in a war between Russia and Georgia? I can see Saakashvili using a scorched earth policy if it came down to it.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I guess history would be the only thing to go by. So far, every war has left plenty to rebuild. I see what you are saying though. This is all just pessimistic speculation on my part though. So, take it for what it is worth... which isn't much.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

funny
US economy is in doldrums , yet USA is provoking russia . This is gross stupidity , mind it , this type of prodding can easily ignite a war and would damage the economies of both superpowers beyond repair , it could esily culminate in thermonuclear war too

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

This isn't primarily the US. This is the EU taking advantage of the current lack of US leadership in NATO. There is lot more going on here involving European energy independence, Caucasian pipeline projects, and political meddling in the former Soviet republics.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
If there's nuclear war... could Russia just tells us in advance... like give NATO people a week to overthrow the leaders otherwise they are gonna start apocalypse?

Thanks.

We the people don't want war. No people want war. The warmongerers are never soldiers. They are only those giving the orders. Let the warmongerers fight each other on battlefields like in Napoleon's time.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

Actually this is more of NATO's doing and less of USA's.
(That's difficult for me to say, considering how much I like to scrutinize the US.)

Recently, US rhetoric toward Russia has calmed down somewhat.
Unfortunately, NATO seems to be bent on supporting their supporters no matter who they are nor what they're guilty of.

All in all, don't take bribes from criminals.
Especially not ones who are in the habit of shelling their own people.

Come on NATO! Just tell Georgia they can't be a member until they've held a referendum for South Ossetia (add in Abkhazia and you get brownie points), that's all you have to do!

[edit on 22-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i guess it starts soon.. as for the nuclear war, that will happen a little later on in ww3 =\ just a guess. as i stated in another thread things seem to be speeding up so i guess its almost time. and yes history does tend to repeat itself, i dont know how the world allows everything thats going on to happen no matter the type of coma your in or what your fed. i always thought common sense etc would kick in but i guess not.

N.korea said if the sanctions etc were brought on them it would be a decleration of war.

something with taliban taking pakistan over and implementing sharia law or w/e also just happend aswell.

russia and the georgia conflict.

iran n isreal... i think walking out on the iranian president was to provoke him or piss him off because honestly... how many times have they sat through n listened to all that type of bs before? i think they wanted to insult him etc.

either way somethings coming and its not going to be one of those lets wait 100 years b4 we push this into action, its coming fast.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Reality..]

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Reality..]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Reality..

The only thing you have failed to monitor are the volume and complexity of cyber attacks during 2008. If they were to be manifested into a physical war, then i guess ww3 has already begun. I mean lets not forget the Estonian cyber war, were NATO and its monkey cyber soldiers could not defend the volume of attacks onto the Estonian Infrastructure. The country was literally brought to a stand still, as almost 90% of anything that was attached to and could support internet was taken to the cleaners.

Then again perhaps your more into the gun seen and high caliber weapons, drones, stealth and the list goes on.

Lug

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This round of tension couldn't have anything to do with oil, could it?

Starting this summer, a new $4 billion pipeline is expected to begin pumping crude oil from the former Soviet Republic of Azerbaijan to a Turkish port on the Mediterranean Sea. To get there, the pipeline passes through neighboring Georgia, a small, impoverished republic that has no energy resources of its own.

Analysts say Georgia is the weakest link in this energy project, which has strong support from the U.S. government

www.npr.org...

Then there's this article:

Russia intensified pressure on Nato to call off planned military drills in Georgia on Monday, saying it would cancel upcoming high-level talks with the US-led alliance if the exercises went ahead.

Dmitry Rogozin, Russia’s Nato envoy, said the military exercises in Georgia, a former Soviet country that aspires to Nato membership, were a “provocation.”

www.ft.com...

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Lug]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join