It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torture planning began in 2001, Senate report reveals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

If it makes you sick over things Cheney, Bush, and Rumsfeld did, then you should be completely puked out over actions taken under Bush 42, Clinton, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Truman, Roosevelt, and Lincoln.

Did everybody just fall off the turnip truck yesterday?

Hey! If you're going to torture, you gotta do a bit of planning. You have to have gas for your wood chipper, have extra chainsaw blades, broken glass, tooth extractors, high voltage inverters, on and on.

Are we really talking about . . . waterboarding?

That's for weenies!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I say again, how many people do you know or love are alive today because of a tip gained by questionable means? We may never know.

that line of thought just irks the crap out of me - because it's meaningless

you could use that for just about anything really

it's as useless as saying that anyone would approve of torture - if it was the only way we could get the information we needed to save the life of someone we love

make-believe is not a reason to torture another human being

using make-believe is inexcusable when you use it just to cover all your bases

it's nothing but manipulation

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I don't see a point to this post or these articles. The Bush administration said that they started "torturing" in 2002. Carrying out the action, and planning, are not the same thing. They started planning in '01, yes, attemping to find out if they were justified in using enhanced interrogation techniques in the event of capturing an enemy combatant they could not get to talk.

They never specifically said what was in the memos, nor did they describe any of the tortures, other than standing, which they attempt to draw attention to Rumsfeld for making a joke about standing. They said that standing, stress positions, dogs for intimidation, and stripping were authorized. Another memo says that that authorization could "rise" to torture, meaning that that memo did not consist of it, but that it could pave the way for torture to be used. Then, another memo was released saying that enemy combatants are not protected under the Geneva Conventions anyway, which they are not.

I see no evidence of anything being discredited by the Bush administration, nor do I see anything valuable learned from this. I do see, however, that you failed to leave out that Obama may still be in hot water for granting the CIA leniency.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join