It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 A.M. South Central Alaska.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Last night a friend of mine asked if i could come watch her kids while she went out, i never do this, but the circumstances were unique so i said yes.

They were very late getting back, and i didn't get home ti'll a little after 3 A.M.
Never thought i would be happy about that... but now i am

Yesterday was particularly clear, i live in a very mountainy area so clear days in spring are fairly rare; it was also the warmest day of 2009 so far.

When i pulled up in my drive way, all i could think about was getting to bed, but i looked up and couldn't help but notice how clear the stars were. (i love stars, even have the big dipper tattooed on my arm).

I stood outside for maybe 2mins when i saw a shooting star (meteorite whatever you wanna call it) but it quickly became obvious this was not an average shooting star.

It came in, very fast, had a long sparkling tail behind it just like a shooting star, but then, it slowed down very quickly (VERY QUICKLY), and no longer had a tail, it looked just like a satellite moving threw the sky, it then shifted direction slightly, (maybe 5-10degrees) and continued over the horizon.

This very well could have been just a strange meteor, the type of which I am unfamiliar with, But i have never seen a meteor slow down, and then loose its tail to reveal a point of light similar to a satellite, then shift in directions.

i have lived in the same small town in Alaska my entire life, been viewing the nights sky for most my life, and this was a first for me.

any one have any ideas what it could have been?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
couple of flags but no reponses eh?

well i hope to hear from someone with a similar experiences or explanation or just your thoughts

was it...

a strange meteor?

space junk?

military aircraft?

or maybe something more interesting... I'd like to get a better idea.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It could be numerous things, but without footage of it, it is a very hard thing to understand, or help in accounting for what it was.
Sorry.

I for one, believe aliens exist, on the other hand I believe anomalies exist and things just happen for no reason. It could of been extra terrestial, it also could of been a simple illusion. You seem to know the night sky very well. I would say whatever your gut, reasoning and logic tell you go with that.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

yea i wish i had a camera, but i think even if i had one, i wouldn't have been capable of filming it.

i think the only way to catch an event like this on film would require having a camera set up and already filming (filming a star, planet, or comet already) and then have the event pass into view of the camera.

I think any other way it would be impossible to have caught (well at least the interesting part) it on film, it just happened way to fast, (if you've ever seen a shooting star you know what im talking about)

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I've seen one come in slow and have it tails sparkle and fizzle the whole time. But I mean really slow. Over a few days. They are definitely a class of weird meteor. They are bright green.
This is not what you saw I'm sure.
It's all I got.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I know exactly how you feel, as I once witnessed a BRILLIANT Green Meteor pass right over my house in the wee morning hours. It truly shocked me, and I would say it frightened me somewhat as well, because I never knew that Meteors of such brilliancy and colors existed. It is an amazing experience however, because even though I have witnessed countless Meteor showers in my area, the colored One is a true rarity.

Where exactly do you live in Alaska? You can U2U me if you want, but I ask because I can attempt to help plot a trajectory, and possibly even find others who sighted it as well.

Not to mention my interest in Alaska, you have such amazing aerial phenomena up there

Where I live, it can be difficult to discern anything except for the most prominent of Constellations at times. I still remember the first time that I actually viewed a truly dark sky, and I almost fell over backwards (literally and figuratively lol).

As for the Colors of Meteors "wrathVchild", it always depends upon their material composition. The Meteor(s) you witnessed are composed mostly of Nickel, and when this metal interacts with the Oxygen and Nitrogen in our Atmosphere, it fluoresces an extremely vivid, bright Green Color (Similar to a Firework Display).

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I dont know that much about astrophysics, so I will present this thoeory. As much as I believe in ET, it sounds like it might have been a satellite correcting itself. falling to close to earths atmosphere, starting to burn, and corrected itself when it could. Then again, I do not know how strong either satellite rockets are, nor do I know how strong Earths gravitational pull on said satellite would be. Could have been experimental air/space craft, which would make sense considering a secret installation off one of the islands of Alaska, and one much further north than even juno. Hell, the base there, Elmendorf is rumoured to have tunnels leading all over the place anyway. As big and isolated as most of Alaska really is, it would not surprise me in the least. lol. Do not take this the wrong way either mate, but it could have been your eyes playing tricks as you were statedly tired. One always has to count in that factor. Point is, no one else saw it but you. this does not discount you, I take it for true myself, but look at all possibilities. Go to flat top mountain, and camp there... THEN look at the night sky.. Completely different view there mate. You will see things that will turn your flesh white with amazement.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I suppose it could all depend on your perspective when, where and you're angle to viewing the phenomena.

If the object was coming towards you, then it may appear to alter speed and course etc because of your perspective
Objects can bounce off the upper atmosphere, but have to hit it at the correct angle to do so
A satellite changing position as mentioned previous could also be the reason
It could also be an alien craft whose operator was not fully concentrating on flying his craft and hit the upper atmosphere, like a driver changing the CD and skirting the edge of the road.

The last point is not meant to be funny, well OK a bit, but lets not forget aliens have supposedly crashed their craft on Earth so are shown to be just as fallible as humans

gave you a star! hope it doesn't fall

[edit on 22/4/09 by Daisy-Lola]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I saw one over Alberta a few months ago when I was out there....
It came down like a normal meteor (meteorite? don't ask me what the right terminology is)
And then made this loud boom with other noise and parts blew off, while the main 'body' or whatever seemed to just stay where it was, and then eventually burn out. It was greenish and then bright white...during the blow-up!
Scared the hell out of me, and kids down the street were freaking out lol

I always assumed it was just a meteor or space junk, and either some kind of illusion, or the whole blowing apart of stuff combined with hitting denser air or something caused it to slow down rapidly and look like it was staying in one spot.
They are so quick that its hard to determine how they are truly moving.
I have a gut sense that this post will reveal my lack of understanding in physics.
The end.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanlee
I dont know that much about astrophysics, so I will present this thoeory. As much as I believe in ET, it sounds like it might have been a satellite correcting itself. falling to close to earths atmosphere, starting to burn, and corrected itself when it could. Then again, I do not know how strong either satellite rockets are, nor do I know how strong Earths gravitational pull on said satellite would be. Could have been experimental air/space craft, which would make sense considering a secret installation off one of the islands of Alaska, and one much further north than even juno. Hell, the base there, Elmendorf is rumoured to have tunnels leading all over the place anyway. As big and isolated as most of Alaska really is, it would not surprise me in the least. lol. Do not take this the wrong way either mate, but it could have been your eyes playing tricks as you were statedly tired. One always has to count in that factor. Point is, no one else saw it but you. this does not discount you, I take it for true myself, but look at all possibilities. Go to flat top mountain, and camp there... THEN look at the night sky.. Completely different view there mate. You will see things that will turn your flesh white with amazement.

lol trust me, I've seen some spectacular skies. Northern lights like you cant imagine.

I've traveled all over the state, even been to the very top working on the north slope, i have even worked at Elmendorf as a contractor (there are a couple of strange things there but not a ton) not to mention i live in a tiny village with no real light pollution so I'm fortunate enough to be able to have experienced the very night sky your describing.

Your remark about me being tired makes sense, but i have to dismiss it, because it wasn't like "wow my eyes wont stay open* just like, *ahh i cant wait for my nice warm bed* i was even awake enough that standing in the front yard for a couple of minutes didn't see like an unreasonable task to take a part in, so i really doubt it was sleep in my eyes, also i have never experienced a visual phenomenon that i couldn't explain almost instantly (that i saw with my own eyes).

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daisy-Lola
I suppose it could all depend on your perspective when, where and you're angle to viewing the phenomena.

If the object was coming towards you, then it may appear to alter speed and course etc because of your perspective
Objects can bounce off the upper atmosphere, but have to hit it at the correct angle to do so
A satellite changing position as mentioned previous could also be the reason
It could also be an alien craft whose operator was not fully concentrating on flying his craft and hit the upper atmosphere, like a driver changing the CD and skirting the edge of the road.

The last point is not meant to be funny, well OK a bit, but lets not forget aliens have supposedly crashed their craft on Earth so are shown to be just as fallible as humans

gave you a star! hope it doesn't fall

[edit on 22/4/09 by Daisy-Lola]

haha i know what you mean, how many times have you/i reached for your cell phone and turned back to notice your drifting over the white line.

It came out of the east, heading west, shifted its direction north every so slightly. then disappeared.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Cool story!
A couple of you are posting about seeing brilliant green meteors coming in fast then slowing. I've had a sighting which was the opposite.
I was walking back home at night, happily looking up at the stars, when something catches my eye. I turn 90 degrees, and there's a bright green glow with an orange centre absolutely stationary. Just sat there. I figure it must have been pretty high up because about 30 seconds later the lights go out completely, leaving only what looked like a metal object reflecting moonlight, which then sped off at meteor speeds past the hill line on the horizon, but I was able to see it right up until it crossed the line. Still don't know what to make of it.

new topics

top topics

join