It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh the stupidity (uh humanity) - details on Obama's plan to build a high speed rail system.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Well I just read up on what they have planned for this "High Speed" rail system, and its even stupider than I imagined.

Most of it would only go 125 -150mph. The train system we have now can do 90mph and Amtrak can do 125mph, while Acela does 150mph. Though I will throw in that some larger spans of the train will do 150mph-250mph.

Its whole purpose is purely passenger transportation, and they never mention anything about it being electric so I assue it will still use deisel engines to create electricty on the train to drive the wheels.

This is just Amtrak on crack. We all know how profitable and well ran Amtrak is. Now some people will say Acela is better, but its still a big money loser as well.

Even better for all you folks that cant pay enough taxes, they are going to get the money by raising gasoline taxes to pay for it. That should really spur some econonic growth. NOT!

The plan from the man!

[edit on 21-4-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Most likely these super rail systems will only use wheels for a short time so your rant about the energy efficiency is a poor one at best.

They will most likely use superconductors that let the trains float above the rails. Am example would be Japan's rail system.

Fabulous flying The Maglev actually does not touch the tracks when traveling. Its superconductors let the trains float above the rails. The Siemens-Alstrom train levitate 1cm (0,39 in) above the track. Japan's shinkansen runs 10 cm (3,9 in) above the tracks. The shinkansen uses wheels to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) before it levitates. At speed, supercold liquefied helium minimized energy loss in the magnetic field. The European model uses regular magnets, but enables immediate flight.

Maglev research started in 1962, and by 1970 studies of electrodynamic levitation systems using superconducting magnets took shape. The first test run took place in 1979. In December 1986, a 3-car train registered 352.4 km/h (220 mph). In December 1997, a manned MLX01 attained 531 km/h (331 mph), and unmanned, attained 550 km/h (344 mph). The following year, a test of two trains passing each other at a relative speed of 966 km/h was run successfully. In March 1999, an unmanned five-car MLX01 reached 548 km/h (342 mph). In April, the manned five-car MLX01 set a fabulously fast world speed record at 552 km/h (345 mph).

www.didyouknow.org...

I really don't see the problem with this. It will allow a lot of people to see parts of the country they may not have been able to afford before.

In my opinion more positive things will come of this rather than negative.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by TV_Nation]

[edit on 21-4-2009 by TV_Nation]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Read the link. It is not going to be maglev. It is going to be like Amtrak/Acela. At least maglev would have been kind of cool. I dont remember going on a rant about energy though. By the way thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I see where you are coming from but the HSR express is said to go at least 150mph so who knows what it's top speed will be.

It also said that the other versions may have the ability to travel faster with tweaks.

Def not what I was thinking tho. Figured they would use Maglev approach.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I ride Amtrak a lot, and It's never done anything close to 125 when I've been on it. 80 mph, tops.

They probably aren't doing MagLev because of the cost (Superconductors and Liquid Nitrogen can't be cheap, although I haven't personally looked into it).

And yes, this is a let-down.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

Yeah thank God it doesnt look they are going to drop another trillion on buiding a maglev train. That was my biggest fear. At least they will only through a few billion down the hole instead of a few trillion.

By the way I love your signature.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Actually, according to the manufactures, the cost of building entire infrastructure around MagLev is pretty much the same as conventional system, repairs and maintenance are less costly and energy requirements are few times lower then for conventional trains for the same speed and capacities...

Here is the video:

I believe that what they are trying to do here in US is to use existing system and upgrade it to a higher speeds, nothing impressive IMO, which is unfortunate, it is not gonna be a major competition to air travel on longer distances which we really need in this country.

Shame, really, Chinese have MagLev and we do not

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
in many cases it will not save anyone money because it goes to only big cities.

if you want to travel say from LA calif to san francisco you may save money.

but if you want to travel from say Indio Calif to Willows Calif its likely to cost a more then driving. getting from Indio to the nearest high speed rail and parking fees to leave your car and when you get to willows Calif you may end up renting a car just to get around.

and if you are disabled this whole system may be a nightmare.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

Nice video. Thanks for posting it. I dont really see how it could cost the same to build that track as it would be to put down some steel rails and beams though,but I guess I will take there word for it. Those things are cool. I always like watching those babies run.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Here's an idea, boreddude....those blokes overseas have perfected the technology....let's suck them over here! It's the exact opposite of Corporations outsourcing from the USA to oversea countries...let's turn the tableson 'em!!!

Oh...and does THIS thread compete with your other one???

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Here's an idea, boreddude....those blokes overseas have perfected the technology....let's suck them over here! It's the exact opposite of Corporations outsourcing from the USA to oversea countries...let's turn the tableson 'em!!!

Oh...and does THIS thread compete with your other one???

LOL, good call. Actually I created this thread because I finally read the details on this project and so I wanted to share them with others. I didnt want it to get lost in the constant bickering I was doing over the cost. I thought it was important for people to see what it actually was, because neither I or anyone else on the old thread really seemed to understand what they meant once I really read through the plan.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This is realy stupid! Rebuilding one mile of conventional track thats already there costs almost a million bucks. Maglev is more like 6 milllion per mile. No one could afford to ride it. The ticket prices to maintain it, let alone build it, will be regressive. It won't work! This idea is delusional! Another bright idea from our Great Leader!!

Zindo

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Cool Beans!!!

Carry on!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

LOL, Thanks for you approval. It means a lot to me. Dont you love the sensational titles I come up with. I am such a point whore!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I would love to see a bullet train like transportation system all over the US. I refuse to fly so it would be great for me. We'll see how this develops and if it is as good as it sounds before I make up my mind.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Thanks for posting. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are not planning a maglev train. It is going to be more like Amtrak/Acela. If you look at the link in the opening post it goes into detail about it.

I have a question is it Rappin' Bats or are you Raping Bats
Just curious

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

Thanks for posting. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are not planning a maglev train. It is going to be more like Amtrak/Acela. If you look at the link in the opening post it goes into detail about it.

Actually, no bubble bursted here. They have stated several times that they want to produce a High-Speed Rail that would be quite similar to bullet train transportation. Like I said, we'll see how this develops.

Edit: It's raping.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Yeah I guess we have no chance but to see what is going to happen

Raping Bats.. that is hilarious. You must really hate (or like) bats.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
There is no way we can afford this project. The only spurs that will come close to supporting themselves will be the ones heavily packed with daily commuters. The occasional day trip by mom, dad, and the kids "to explore America" will have to be subsidized by the taxpayer.

It's like using an 18-wheeler to do your grocery shopping with.

This will create huge bureaucracies funded by higher taxes. But it will be sold to the public as a job creation effort. Except that we will be the ones paying all the salaries and maintenance.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
The basic problem with rail travel is stupid people in automobiles and trucks. There's enough lawsuits with car train accidents as it is can you imagine if the trains traveled 250 MPH and someone went around the gate as they do all the time. High speed rail is being killed by lawyers as is everything else of any use in this country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join