It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan says Taliban broadening control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Pakistan says Taliban broadening control

www.abc.net.au

Pakistan has confirmed Taliban militants have taken control of new areas in the country's north-west.

The militants are contolling parts of a region where sharia law was recently introduced in an effort to placate the Taliban.

Head of the interior ministry Rehman Malik confirmed the Taliban is now in control of pockets of Buner - a district, which is only 100 kilometres from Islamabad.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
In a way I would have preferred the Taliban to stay put in Afghanistan rather than move into Pakistan. The thought of them gaining control of some nuclear weapons is really quite scary.

I'm not sure it would take much to topple Pakistan at this stage and will provide a fertile new recruitment zone for the Taliban.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There is strong pro-Taliban sentiment within Pakistan's military, as well. The MSM is mostly ignoring this issue, but it's the single largest threat to our nation's well being.

Like you said, if they get significant control of Pakistan, then they've gone nuclear.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I imagine India will have plenty to say though when it does topple. I can't imagine for one minute that they would sit on the hands doing nothing.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
America will go into Pakistan. And if it takes a false-flag for a conscription, they will do it.

Just you watch. They will hype the threat.

LET INDIA TAKE CARE OF THEM.

GET THOSE NUKES OUT OF THERE RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is some pretty scary news. I don't buy most of the fear mongering but this is sounding like a huge threat to Western nations. Why is the Pakistani government talking like a total Taliban takeover is a foregone conclusion? When the article referenced a few hundred armed [Taliban] men is that what they're scared of? Doesn't Pakistan have a huge army? I understand that there are Taliban sympathizers in their army but still... I really don't understand this.

Edit: spelling & clarity

[edit on 22-4-2009 by flybynight]

[edit on 22-4-2009 by flybynight]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is some scary stuff.

For those of us who believe that Al Qaeda was responsible for 9/11, can you imagine Osama with nukes? This could spell a real global disaster.

For those of us who believe 9/11 was a false flag, can you imagine Dick Cheney with nukes to use and blame on Al Qaeda?

For the rest of us that fall somewhere in the middle of those two schools of thought, can you imagine Osama with nukes and people in our government either incompetent to stop them or somehow at least tacitly allowing them pull of an attack?

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Good news I suppose if it actually helps.

Pakistan: Troops sent to Taliban-threatened area

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – Pakistani paramilitary forces have been deployed to protect government buildings and bridges in a district near the capital that has come under the Taliban's sway, an official said Thursday.

The six Frontier Constabulary platoons arrived in northwestern Buner on Wednesday, days after militants from the neighboring Swat Valley began infiltrating the area in large numbers, establishing checkpoints, patrolling roads and spreading fear.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
US has "concerns" over safety of Pakistan's nukes: Clinton

Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is currently safe, but Washington has "concerns" over what could happen if the advancing Taliban topples the government, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview with Fox News on Saturday.

No you think? Take those nukes away or destroy them!

new topics

top topics

join