It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to reduce breast cancer risk? Eat walnuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Want to reduce breast cancer risk? Eat walnuts

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - By eating walnuts, women could reduce their risk of breast cancer, researchers said on Tuesday.

Researchers at Marshall University School of Medicine in Huntington, West Virginia, found that lab mice bred to develop breast cancer had a significantly lower risk of breast cancer if fed the human equivalent of a handful of walnuts a day.

"Walnuts are better than cookies, french fries or potato chips when you need a snack,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
"Walnuts are better than cookies, french fries or potato chips when you need a snack," Elaine Hardman, one of the researchers working on the study, said in a statement.

"We know that a healthy diet overall prevents all manner of chronic diseases," she said.

Hardman said while the study was done with laboratory animals, likely the same mechanism would be at work in people.

"Walnuts contain multiple ingredients that, individually, have been shown to slow cancer growth including omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and phytosterols," Hardman's team wrote in a summary presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's annual meeting in Denver.

The researchers used specially bred mice that normally always develop breast cancer. Half got the human equivalent of two ounces of walnuts per day and half got a normal diet.

The mice eating the walnuts had fewer and smaller breast tumors and those that did get them got them later than the other mice.

"These laboratory mice typically have 100 percent tumor incidence at five months; walnut consumption delayed those tumors by at least three weeks," Hardman said in a statement.

"It is clear that walnuts contribute to a healthy diet that can reduce breast cancer."

The study adds to evidence that omega-3 fatty acids can provide a range of health benefits, from preventing heart disease to lowering cancer risks.

Scientists have been unsure whether the types found in nuts and leafy green vegetables work as well as the omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Men usually don't have much to worry about with breast cancer, for themselves anyways. But they are also highly effective against prostate cancer. I used to buy trail mix, and also walnuts, then mix them together. Now, I am not sure. I rapidly put on over 50 pounds. I guess I should limit the quantity consumed.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I did not know about the prostate thing but gaining waight on wallnuts was from the first things to spring into my mind...

I agree you should reduce dosage!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
There is a rise on in breast cancer in men. I checked in to it a few years back when I was having breast pain. It turns out I was just growing small male breast, first one grew then the other about a month later.
I believe this was caused by that Bovine Hormone they feed the cows to increase milk production. You see I had gotten a stomach ulcer from taking advile for pain when my daughters cat bit me, I was trying to save cat from neigbors, dang thing bit me,.
So any how I was drinking about a gallon of milk aday for ulcer, when i got breast pain and my breast started to grow, But that's how I found out about male breast cancer.

Something that is suppose to help curb both breast cancer, and prostrate cancer is, a asprin a day, they have also suggested increase dose to 325 up from 80mg.
The herbs rosemary, sage, lemon grass are suppost to help also.
I eat all kinds of nuts walnuts, pecans, brazilnuts, filberts, almonds, cashews, all raw if possible there all good, uncomplete protien though.

What are you some kind of Nut

Addendum

Just to mention women who breastfeed their children, have a less occurance of breast cancer. I guess it's priorities
Also, for what it's worth male Orangutan will on occasion allow baby Orangutans to suckle, I can not remember if they produce milk? Reguarless this is something I would not be up to tring

[edit on 21-4-2009 by googolplex]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Although this report on a study at Marshall University is directed towards women, I would think it would help all.
Eating Walnuts Could Help Prevent Cancer

The study showed less, smaller and slower growing tumors in lab mice fed the equivalent to 2 oz. of walnuts daily.

The hypothesis of Omega 3 fatty acids may play a role.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is all common sense however, the reason why we have such large cancer rates is because we are poisoning ourselves on a daily basis.

It's truly a man made problem, with the constant radio waves and radiation we are exposed to along with the multitude of crap we put in our bodies.

There's an easier way to not get cancer or lower your risk for that matter, stay healthy, be active and eat within a balanced diet, sure indulge in junk on occasion, but moderation is the key.

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
In addition to walnuts, snails (escargot) are also powerful deterrents to developing breast cancer.

top topics

join