It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Like Planets found!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"While Gliese 581 e is too hot for life "it shows that nature makes such small planets, probably in large numbers," Marcy commented. "Surely the galaxy contains tens of billions of planets like the small, Earth-mass one announced here.""

Tens of BILLIONS..sorry the chances for life just exponentially increased..skeptics fall down a hole and DIE lol

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by atsbeliever

Gliese 581 d is in the habitable zone and could support life. So that particular solar system could still harbor life.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My life has now changed dramatically..there could be Earth-like planets out there..tell me something I didn't know.
I believe there MUST be other beings out there..but what I'm sceptical about is them visiting us..indications are indications..but I need one to land on the White House to get convinced..

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
wow you already KNEW before the scientists found it? I believe you should tell them HOW you accomplish that
)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Dont know if there will be anybody there but the Gliese 581 system will be getting a message from some humans in 2029

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Gliese 581 d is in the habitable zone and could support life. So that particular solar system could still harbor life.

Hey, DaMod! Wanna build a spaceship with me and go visit them? I know how we can get there in about 14 years. I think I might be able to borrow a craft from my alien friends, but I have to ask.

O-315

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Oh great that's all we need!

We just possibly let the real more advanced Klingon Empire know that we puny Umans are here.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by organism315

Hey, DaMod! Wanna build a spaceship with me and go visit them? I know how we can get there in about 14 years. I think I might be able to borrow a craft from my alien friends, but I have to ask.

O-315

Heck ya, u2u me the schematics and I'll start on it right away

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by organism315Hey, DaMod! Wanna build a spaceship with me and go visit them? I know how we can get there in about 14 years. I think I might be able to borrow a craft from my alien friends, but I have to ask.

O-315

Taking passengers? I have a few people I'd buy tickets for. (Assuming it's one way.)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Originally posted by organism315Hey, DaMod! Wanna build a spaceship with me and go visit them? I know how we can get there in about 14 years. I think I might be able to borrow a craft from my alien friends, but I have to ask.

O-315

Taking passengers? I have a few people I'd buy tickets for. (Assuming it's one way.)

Sorry but there is only air for two.. And some females....

[edit on 21-4-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

"And a few females"

Exactly, what point would it be to go to a planet if we couldn't colonize it and eventually take it over?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
There is a large difference between "a nearly Earth-sized planet", which is what the article says, and "Earth Like Planets", which is what your thread title claims. The planet in the article is not Earth like at all.

Are you going to be posting something like this every time the Kepler mission finds a planet? If so, you are going to be very, very busy.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Even so, why is anybody surprised at the news that there are other planets similar or even nearly identical to Earth out there? In great numbers even? Are the rules of physics which govern star and planetary formation somehow utterly different from solar system to solar system? Do people really think that our solar system is somehow unique and special?

I think as we discover more and more about the universe around us, that we'll find we are more indicative of the norm, not an aberration.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Tens of BILLIONS..sorry the chances for life just exponentially increased..skeptics fall down a hole and DIE lol

Wow.

Look, any skeptic will admit that there are probably billions of Earth like planets in the universe.
Considering that article, and the people who brought forth the information the article is about, were probably skeptics, your statement there is inane.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
"Gliese 581 d is probably too large to be made only of rocky material, fellow astronomer and team member Stephane Udry said, adding it was possible the planet had a "large and deep" ocean."

Sounds awfully earth like to me, close enough that it could support life. I don't see what your problem is.

This should be cause for great interest, especially since life as we know it DEPENDS on liquid water, so the probabilities of life as we know evolving elsewhere just shot up. And thats not even taking into consideration life as we DON'T know it.

Originally posted by Phage
There is a large difference between "a nearly Earth-sized planet", which is what the article says, and "Earth Like Planets", which is what your thread title claims. The planet in the article is not Earth like at all.

Are you going to be posting something like this every time the Kepler mission finds a planet? If so, you are going to be very, very busy.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by atsbeliever]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kenan

I gave you star for your post.

Although I think this thread belongs in the Science/Tech Forum, I posted a similar thread on ATS about Exo-Solar Planet discovery awhile back. Just a couple years ago scientists were exited about finding planets the size of Jupitor. Now seems thru Gravitational Microlensing we are getting better and better. Or at least the instruments recording this data are getting better and perhaps the cooperation between different microlensing groups etc.

As to the cliche White House landing, I think the White House will be historically preserved for posterity before any aliens land there. If there are aliens, it is our duty to go to their level for a real dialouge......not their duty to stoop to ours. As human beings we may observe apes in the wild, but we aren't going to give apes free tickets to the Lakers Game because they wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Scramjet76]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
No its not? quite the contrary, we had previously not even detected water on a planet which is even NEAR earth size before, and since we can only base the model on our own planets evolution these findings are quite staggering and like I said before, water is essential for life on our planet and its reasonable to hypothesize that about other planets out there. Don't argue with me on that point, argue the scientists at Nasa and around the world who say so please...

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Wow.

Look, any skeptic will admit that there are probably billions of Earth like planets in the universe.
Considering that article, and the people who brought forth the information the article is about, were probably skeptics, your statement there is inane.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Thanks and I appreciate it! You'd think people would be happy or enthusiastic to hear this kinda news, but it seems there's a lot who just wanna sit around and argue, even despise the very thought of life on other worlds. And I seriously wonder why they cruise these forums having such negativity, I really don't wanna hear it, need it or appreciate it. Some kind of mental disorders are probably keeping them around, how sad.

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by Kenan

I gave you star for your post.

Although I think this thread belongs in the Science/Tech Forum, I writing a similar thread on ATS about Exo-Solar Planet discovery. Just a couple years ago scientists were exited about finding planets the size of Jupitor. Now seems thru Gravitational Microlensing we are getting better and better. Or at least the instruments recording this data are getting better and perhaps the cooperation between different microlensing groups.

As to the cliche white house landing, I think the white house will be historically preserved for posterity before any aliens land there. If there are aliens, it is our duty to go to their level for a real dialouge......not their duty to stoop to ours. As human beings we may observe apes in the wild, but we aren't going to give apes free tickets to the Lakers Game because they wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Here's another interesting link as to why our planet is 'special' at least until now..it appears its not special at all (which is a good sign)

www.livescience.com...

and yes I believe when Kepler starts bringing in new planet findings by the bucket load, one must start to take these UFO sightings even more seriously I think..

[edit on 21-4-2009 by atsbeliever]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

And there are billions of solar systems within the galaxy and billions of galaxies within the universe.

You do the math, but I would say a minimum of 1 billion earth like planets when there are probably hundreds of trillions of planets out there.

And that being conservative.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join