It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on comets.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Do all the comets we see come from the Keiper belt?

I really don't know how i'm going to meet the 200 word limit... It's just a quick question.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
No. In general those comets known as Short Period Comets originate in the Kuiper Belt.

Long Period Comets (or those with orbital periods greater than 200 years) are said to originate from the Oort Cloud.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Resinveins]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Here are some helpful references to answer your question:

Where do comets come from?(NASA)
Where do comets come from?(Smithsonian)
Where do comets come from?(New Scientist)
Where do comets come from and why are their orbits so elongated?(Astronomy.com)
Where Comets Come From(Discover Magazine)

[edit on 21-4-2009 by X-tal_Phusion]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by X-tal_Phusion

No kidding! I always thought they were hairy stars that got thrown out of heaven and told to get a shave...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

The theory is that comets originate in the outer solar system, i.e. Kuiper belt-Oort cloud, but evidence shows a contrdiction at least for comet 81P or Wild 2. NASA's Stardust mission flew by Wild 2 on Jan. 2, 2004 taking samples from the comets tail and returned to Earth on Jan. 15, 2006.

"Even though the comet itself came from way out past Pluto, there’s a much more complicated history of migration patterns within the solar system and the material originally may have formed much closer to Earth,” says UW-Madison geology professor John Valley. “These findings are causing a revision of theories of the history of the solar system."
Source-Science News.

Early on, scientists found surprising evidence that Wild 2 contained some material from the inner solar system that had been heated to more than 1000° C due to its proximity to the Sun.
Source-New Science.

The odd thing is that even though the evidence shows that the samples the Stardust mission collected originated from the inner solar system scientists still contend that Wild 2 formed in the outer solar system. Old theories seem to die hard.

Despite the comet’s birth in the icy reaches of outer space beyond Pluto, tiny crystals collected from its halo appear to have been forged in the hotter interior, much closer to the sun.
Source-Science News.

Comets spend most of their time in the outer solar system but that might not be their place of origin.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The mainstream scientists are lying to you about comets.

Here's some real facts I put together on comets.

www.youtube.com...

Since this is my first post, I can't make my own thread on the subject so I put it here.

I would appreciate it if someone made a new thread for me called "Comets - Not What We Expected" and put the link to the playlist in there so people can comment on it.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Interesting little video mnemeth1, I have been down that road of discovery myself not long ago.

I find it hard to believe how the science community is reacting to this information. Even when they present evidence from their own missions like Temple1 and Wild 2 and admit that it is in complete contradiction to the old comet theory they continue to hold onto the old theory like a zealot. This is one thing science and religion have in common.

I put together a reply to what I thought, at first, was a ridiculous question, "Was Venus a Comet?", and what I found has changed the way I look at everything. The problem with comets is just the beginning.

top topics

join