It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia warns U.S. stepping up shield plans: agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Russia warns U.S. stepping up shield plans: agency

www.newsdaily.com

MOSCOW, Apr. 21, 2009 (Reuters) — Russia on Tuesday accused the United States of stepping up plans to install an anti-missile system in Europe, according to Interfax news agency.

Moscow said it had hoped the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama would revise plans initiated under former President George W. Bush to construct the system and welcomed calls initiated by the U.S. side to "reset" relations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.reuters.com
www.javno.com

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hello Change

With talks of Russia stopping talks with NATO over there "war games" in Georgia, if we push full ahead with this i doubt it could be for the better.

i think one quote to really look at is

Washington says deployment of interceptor missiles to Poland and a radar system in the Czech Republic does not target Russia, but future potential attacks from countries like Iran.

are they not just setting up the perfect False Flag once again

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
wow no one has anything to say about this? i'll take this to the top see what others think

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This whole ABM idea is a white elephant of sorts. If it is to be realized and its goals of realistic defense are ever to be fullfilled - it's cost will become tremendously expensive. It will also place a burden on foreign affairs of the US, because it will severly jeopardize future relations with Russia. Nor will it benefit the host countries, since the shield is not meant to protect them, but those down the line from them. As to the benefits - they are questionable at best. The best defense against an nuclear ICBM attack from anybody, is the threat of mutually assured destruction.

The ABM shield does however create a problem for Russia, because if it is developed further it could give NATO/US an edge in preemptive nuclear strike tactics - not that this means that there will ever be a nuclear war, but nuclear startegy always remains an issue. Whoever this shield is meant against - be it Iran even - it could still compromise Russian ICBM capabilities should US install enough launchers.

What Russia will be forced to do as the result of the ABM shield in Eastern Europe, is modernize its ICBMs, and create new MIRV's with ABM evasion capabilities. The end result will be a new arms race of sorts, with both sides improving their ICBM capabilities.

The Anti-Ballistic-Missile-Treaty of the 70's was enacted for a good reason. Main goal of the treaty:

It was seen by many in the West as a key piece in nuclear arms control, being an implicit recognition of the need to protect the nuclear balance by ensuring neither side could hope to reduce the effects of retaliation to acceptable levels.

en.wikipedia.org...

It was the US who broke off the treaty, and in order to prevent a new ICBM arms race, it is the US who should take the first step to reenact the treaty and stop with this European ABM nonesense.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
anyone else have anything to say about this?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I think its a bad idea to screw around with Russia. We keep pushing and pushing. Someday Russia will have to do more than posture.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It is pointless B.S.

If you look at the number of batteries, the number of missiles fired pre target and the number of missiles on site...you get less than "1" Russian nuclear (ICBM ) Sub.

Now come on folks...seriously

This does nothing to diminish the 1st strike abilities of Russia VS NATO.

It would be (in a technical sense) just as easy for Russia to launch 50 instead of 25 ICBM's...

The number of missiles/rockets this system can intercept is only valid for smaller militaries like Iran/Syria/N.K.......

[edit on 4/22/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
like i said before it sets up a perfect false flag attack from Iran, they already are setting up the people for it saying it's "For Iran"

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is something of a Catch-22 to me to be honest.

On the one hand we have this system being setup to 'help' the EU, on the other we have the fact that our 'Star Wars' system is a failure, everyone knows this and the U.S. had to do something to save it's own ass. This is probably the beginning of higher escalations; the bear isn't pissed off enough yet, I think that 'Reset' thing was a stunt to buy as much time as humanly possible to setup defenses.

new topics

top topics

join