It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Open to Prosecution of Officials Who Cleared Interrogation Tactics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Obama Open to Prosecution of Officials Who Cleared Interrogation Tactics

www.foxnews.com

President Barack Obama is leaving the door to open to possible prosecution of Bush administration officials who devised harsh terrorism-era interrogation tactics.

He also said Tuesday that he worries about the impact of high-intensity hearings on how detainees were treated under former President George W. Bush. But Obama did say, nevertheless, he could support a Hill investigation if it were conducted in a bipartisan way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Barak Obama discloses Bush 'torture' methods including use of insects

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder what changed his mind? Originally, he was saying everyone is A OK. Now, he is saying now he is open to prosecution.

Obama has said he doesn't support charging CIA agents and interrogators who took part in waterboarding and other harsh interrogation tactics, acting on advice from superiors that such practices were legal. But he also said that it is up to the attorney general whether to prosecute Bush administration lawyers who wrote the memos approving these tactics.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Alot more is to come to light ain the high tech torture america does. They give this rubbish to the public, so it covers them on other areas.

Obviously the torture has moved to far more high tech craziness.

But obviously the news will not be reporting on that will they, and where will the victims of these crimes, get there justice in a society that loves saw movies.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Rather than prosecute the Department of Defense employees and contractors who carried out the orders, the administration is willing to go after the politically appointed ideologues who created and fostered the notion that this activity was 'ok' in the name of the American people and their purported safety concerns.

We didn't seem to think that rationale was an acceptable defense during the Nuremburg trials.... I wonder why it is now?

"They told me to do it...." I dunno, does that sound like a valid excuse to you?

I would have rather expected 'honorable' people to say "NO sir! Torture is illegal, and if you attempt to 'order' me to carry out an illegal act, I must report you to the Inspector General."

Oh wait, that's not how Hollywood trains us now, is it?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm glad he changed his mind. It's not his place to decide such things.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think he is just trying to straddle the fence. Either go after all of them or just let the story drop.

Did the ones writing the memos give the authority or were they merely giving their opinion?

Like Maxmars said an unlawful order doesn't have to be carried out.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
He got scared when he was being labeled a war criminal, that's all there is to it. He'd sell his soul if it kept him in office.

Oh, wait...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Interesting change, I wonder what caused him to reconsider

Obviously something to do with PR

MODS, I am not able to create a new thread!
I click submit I get a blank page.

never happened before
HELP

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Nothing will happen guys. This is so you will say that he is atleast trying. He said he will support the Hill if it is done in a bipartisian way.

Do any of you really think that will happen? There will be a bipartisianship going on. The Dems will cover for the Republicans and vice versa. To many secrets and skeletons in closets for anyone to bring up charges and still have their political lives left at the end.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
double post.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by jd140]

top topics

join