It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos Stored in an Old Brownie Camera Pearl Harbor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
From an E-mail I recieved this morning, I was simply blown away by these photos.

Looking at them simply places the viewer back 68 years to a time which is so important in our Worlds History.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9548f066c5ab.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eae1e1319e69.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/85382399a175.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f6495c69733.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc5f225acd20.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc9988cccca6.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e8f52d9f6f88.jpg[/atsimg]

From the body of the E-mail:

Pearl Harbor

On Sunday, December 7th, 1941 the Japanese launched a surprise attack against the U.S. Forces stationed at Pearl Harbor , Hawaii By planning his attack on a Sunday, the Japanese commander Admiral Nagumo, hoped to catch the entire fleet in port. As luck would have it, the Aircraft Carriers and one of the Battleships were not in port. (The USS Enterprise was returning from Wake Island , where it had just delivered some aircraft. The USS Lexington was ferrying aircraft to Midway, and the USS Saratoga and USS Colorado were undergoing repairs in the United States ..)

In spite of the latest intelligence reports about the missing aircraft carriers (his most important targets), Admiral Nagumo decided to continue the attack with his force of six carriers and 423 aircraft. At a range of 230 miles north of Oahu , he launched the first wave of a two-wave attack. Beginning at 0600 hours his first wave consisted of 183 fighters and torpedo bombers which st ruck at the fleet in Pearl Harbor and the airfields in Hickam, Kaneohe and Ewa. The second strike, launched at 0715 hours, consisted of 167 aircraft, which again struck at the same targets.

At 075 3 hours the first wave consisting of 40 Nakajima B5N2 'Kate' torpedo bombers, 51 Aichi D3A1 'Val' dive bombers, 50 high altitude bombers and 43 Zeros struck airfields and Pearl Harbor Within the next hour, the second wave arrived and continued the attack.
When it was over, the U.S. Losses were:

Casualties
US Army: 218 KIA, 364 WIA.
US Navy: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA..
US MarineCorp: 109 KIA, 69 WIA.
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA.

TOTAL: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA.
-------------------------------------------------

Battleships
USS Arizona (BB-39) - total loss when a bomb hit her magazine.
USS Oklahoma (BB-37) - Total loss when she capsized and sunk in the harbor.
USS California (BB-4 4) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS West Virginia (BB-48) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS Nevada - (BB-36) Beached to prevent sinking. Later repaired.
USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) - Light damage.
USS Maryland (BB-46) - Light damage.
USS Tennessee (BB-43) Light damage.
USS Utah (AG-16) - (former battleship used as a target) - Sunk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cruisers
USS New Orleans (CA-32) - Light Damage..
USS San Francisco (CA-38) - Light Damage.
USS Detroit (CL-8) - Light Damage.
USS Raleigh (CL-7) - Heavily damaged but repaired.
USS Helena (CL-50) - Light Damage.
USS Honolulu (CL-48) - Light Damage..
-------------------------- -- ---------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------
Destroyers
USS Downes (DD-375) - Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Cassin - (DD -3 7 2) Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Shaw (DD-373) - Very heavy damage..
USS Helm (DD-388) - Light Damage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minelayer
USS Ogala (CM-4) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seaplane Tender
USS Curtiss (AV-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Repair Ship
USS Vestal (AR-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harbor Tug
USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aircraft
188 Aircraft destroyed (92 USN and 92 U.S. Army Air Corps.)

Just wondering if there are others out there like these. If so please add them here to be viewed.

MOD's I may need these photos resized, but if they do could they be as big as allowed? Ty, I promise one day I will learn how to.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by antar]

Replaced 'All Caps' in title

[edit on 22/4/09 by masqua]

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I almost forgot to give credit to the person who sent the pictures for us to enjoy. I was so excited when I saw these that I rushed to get them here for everyone to view, lol.

Hey i also did not successfully load the pictures, lol, hang on they are well worth it!

sent by Ted Cowen in Arizona

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Before you get too excited, please check out this link.

Pearl Harbor Box Brownie Photographs

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
From link in post above

The photographs are genuine and certainly do show the Pearl Harbor attack. However, the claims in the email's description are false. They were not found in one old box brownie camera as stated in the message, nor were they taken by a sailor on the USS QUAPAW. In fact, the images are US Naval archive photographs taken by different people at various locations around Pearl Harbour at the time of the attack. The photographs form part of the historical image collection available on the Naval Historical Center website.

To take all of these photographs, the brownie-wielding sailor would have needed to possess the uncanny ability to take pictures from several vantage points around the harbor at almost the same time. Some earlier versions of the email included high aerial shots of the harbour as well. The aerial shots are omitted in this version, possibly because their inclusion too clearly "gives the game away". The sailor could hardly have been in an aircraft as well as in several locations around the attack zone during one narrow window of time.

Moreover, the USS QUAPAW was not at Pearl Harbour in 1941. In fact, the vessel was not even launched until 1943. Her keel was laid on 28 December 1942, more than a year after the Pearl Harbor attack.

These photographs are indeed spectacular and they form an important part of the historical record. They speak for themselves and there is absolutely no need to falsely embellish them with foolish and fictional stories about their origin.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ah shucks! yep I need to use the search engine before wasting a couple hours of crazy excitement to bring something to the forum, Wow I am having quite the day being the clown, poor me!

If anyone wants I will go ahead and place the other 7 photos up or you can view them in my media...

They really look much more interesting in a larger format though I will say for my efforts,

I better stay in the forums I do best in and leave all this war stuff to the experts in that field...

Edit for R.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If you're interested in the events, you can see several hundred pictures at the Naval Historical Center's Online Image Library. (Now known by it's new name, Naval History & Heritage Command

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Something isn't right with these photos. They look like layered exposures or something. I don't know exactly, perhaps the perspective or the depth of field.

Pearl Harbor may have been a "sneak attack" to the public, but we would have to be idiots to believe that.

PH was the Pacific Fleet head quarters.

How does one sneak these numbers past the Pacific Fleet head Quarters of the United States Navy?:

Mobile Unit:
6 aircraft carriers,
2 battleships,
2 heavy cruisers,
1 light cruiser,
9 destroyers,
8 tankers,
23 fleet submarines,
5 midget submarines,
414 aircraft

And people think 9/11 is an inside Job...They've been doing this for a long time folks. War Is Business. In this case, we let them have the victory in Pearl Harbor in exchange we get to use the Japanese for our biggest fake out ever...Nuclear Bombs....Thank God they only used Two on the other side of the Earth on cities already bombed out. To think we've been fearing fake weapons for over 60 years...I'd call that Top Secret, but you didn't hear it from me.

Peace

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Well done. This seems a very strange hoax to promote. What would be the point in it? The photos themselves are all genuine so why spread the story about the camera discovery?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

I am often amazed at how easily the American population STILL holds onto the notion that Pearl Harbor was a "sneak" attack.

It may have been so for the sailors and soldiers.... but not for the leadership of the country.

For them it was a 'sacrifice'. They were willing to 'sacrifice' the blood of other people's children and family, so they could get in the war, despite the fact that the American population opposed the idea.

All this, comes on the heels of the national infiltration of the Federal Government by international bankers. But it's like 'invisible' to the people who should care the most.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

"How does one sneak these numbers past the Pacific Fleet head Quarters of the United States Navy?: "

You use secrecy, of course. The Kido Butai used a route that was barren of other traffic. The Japanese confirmed that they were not spotted on the trip east. I've been studying the attack for over forty years, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

You can also visit my site: The Myths of Pearl Harbor

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thankyou so much for your contribution. I agree that the pictures do indeed speak volumes and there is no need to embelish the story for sensational effects,

However can you imagine the amount of photos out there that have yet to be seen?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I have decided to go ahead and post the pictures for anyone who has not seen the set. Truly amazing that anyone could think even on a conspiracy site that the Military used this incident as a device for war and to use our latest technology. They did not need to destroy millions of dollars worth of equiptment and countless lives to push the war which was obviously well under way by the time of PH.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/366957c2007f.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea570744be1f.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d49522be6e4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebdbc351c7c9.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7d089f744d7.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/62ea6c629c32.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31a5b81b1146.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17b6e7b42e6f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My grandfather was at pearl harbor in the navy when they attacked. He is still baffled to this day as to how it could of happened short of them turning off the radar and flying no patrols in the beginning of a little thing called WW2.

I love him and have never had the heart to discuss it with him, a conspiracy angle that is, but the fact alone that he still can't understand how it could of happened speaks volumes to me.

Peace

[edit on 21-4-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

"How does one sneak these numbers past the Pacific Fleet head Quarters of the United States Navy?: "

You use secrecy, of course. The Kido Butai used a route that was barren of other traffic. The Japanese confirmed that they were not spotted on the trip east. I've been studying the attack for over forty years, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

You can also visit my site: The Myths of Pearl Harbor

That is very kind of you Gawdzilla. I don't have any right now, but may I add you as a friend. I'm kind of a history buff, and have questions pop up all the time in my head about things. It would be very nice to have an experts brain to pic. Thanks again, Ltru

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, I just wanted to thank you for posting these pictures. It is very sobering thinking of my grandfather going through this, loosing close friends leaving a mark on him. It marks me to see them...thank you.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
reply to post by Maxmars

My grandfather was at pearl harbor in the navy when they attacked. He is still baffled to this day as to how it could of happened short of them turning off the radar and flying no patrols in the beginning of a little thing called WW2.

I love him and have never had the heart to discuss it with him, but the fact alone that he still can't understand how it could of happened speaks volumes to me.

Peace

The radar was on that morning. However it was strictly practice, they had yet to work out the system where the information could be used to vector fighters to inspect a contact. We had been using a former Eagle Squadron commander to learn how to use radar better. However the FIC at Fort Shafter had not been made into a viable entity. In fact, the radars and the FIC were only running from 4 AM to 7 AM. The contact Lockard and Elliott saw was after the SCR-270 set should have been shut down. Elliott just want a little more "stick time" while they were waiting for transport back to base.

As for patrol planes, they were up that morning, but were patrolling the south side of the island because that was the expected axis of attack. Takeo Yoshikawa had noted this and reported it to Japan, one more reason for the northern approach.

Any other issues?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Thank you Gawdzilla. Yes I know, I was saying "short of them doing those things" as in, unless they did that, turned off radar and flew no patrols, but yes it is as you say.

Thanks again

[edit on 21-4-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I too had a great uncle at PH, I was just talking about him day before yesterday. I too was mesmerized by the severity of the sense behind the pictures. I am glad that your Grandfather survived and that he has a grandson that loves him like you do.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This reminds me a little bit of a thing that happened to me a few years ago. I was digging through a box of old 35mm cameras that I had, and popped one open to see that it still had film in it. I snapped it shut quick, rewound the film, and took it to Target or someplace and had it developed. It turned out to still have three or four good photos in it that weren't light-damaged.

They were of my nephew's first birthday, which at the time I developed the photos was 16 years earlier. So finding a lot of old photos in a camera is possible, which is why the story seems so plausible.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I really love old photos, they give a view into a world long past. especially one taken in color, because they give color to a world we usually only see in black and white.
Ive seen some very good color photos of the PH attack aftermath, they really brought the event to life for me.

Its a shame we have gone so digital in our time because there is a lot of information that will be lost.

Another thread about a nasa reclamation project illustrates this dilema very well.
I saw a documentay taht stated up to 75% of the images taken by nasa in the 60's and 70's were never printed, nor was the data even read.In the early 2000's nasa had to essentially re invent a tape reader to read the data tapes before mildew destroyed them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join