It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changes To News Submissions For The Breaking Alternative News Forum

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
actually its something alot of people have been arguing for , for quite sometime - dupe threads to be closed quicker , and worthy news not simply reposting blogs

The only problem with this is that for example, I have had the problem of posting a breaking news story, about a bill being passed the same day I posted the article in the Breaking news. The article, and link were directly from Congress, and the moderator that moved it to "Politics" said it was a blog, when the link was not a blog. It was a link to a breaking story directly from CONGRESS. Congress links are not blogs last I checked, and if ATS is now only going to accept news after they come up on CNN, or whatever other news network this will only become a CNN, "insert name" afiliated news network, and not ATS anymore imo.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
SO, you did mention that people were creating sub-par duplicate threads, possibly to get more points.

But what if the original thread on a topic using article A is actually subpar. Say a member finds a better article, B, and cannot make a duplicate thread so they post on the original thread, while the sub-par member gets all the points for the better article B and following discussion.

Yes, I have found that problem too. Some people just post a news article without reading it themselves, and without supplying more info on it, and then someone else replies posting a better response, and supplying more research on the article, but the OP is the one getting all the points even though he/she did not do much work.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I used to follow the actual idea of "Alternative" News Postings Only, within the BAN section, on a very strict basis, however, after a while I began submitting seemingly regular news stories on the same forum. The reason that I began to do this, as I suspect others did the same, is due to the fact that when stories were placed in their proper forums (i.e., Breaking General News, and Breaking Political News), they received very little attention.

Often times, with point factors and the like aside, it has become a frustrating endeavour to drive the wanted attention towards the other News forums. Whatever solution(s) you can implement in order to possibly rectify such issues, would most certainly be greatly appreciated.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I've completed two tests without any trouble.

What are you seeing?

Ok well I just clicked on New Article to start a new thread
and this time I got the blank page at that point before even being able to submit a new thread.

Then creating a new thread was possible after 2 tries.
First time didn't work with the submit then it did.
But also just clicking new article brought me nothing at first too

what i see is nothing
I see the correct url in the address bar however the page is completely blank, not text whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Ok well I just clicked on New Article to start a new thread and this time I got the blank page at that point before even being able to submit a new thread.

It could be that your browser is not sending "referrer data" to the server. One of our anti-spam anti-bot techniques is to validate an authorized member by cookies as well as confirming you clicked-through from an actual ATS page.

That's all I can think of at this point.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
although not a newbie to this site, i'm still a newbie to the rules and regs. of posting. this, i have to admit, is partly due to laziness on my part. but now, as more rules are applied, the more apathatic i have become to even posting anything. since i'm simply a casual member, (once a day, for a look see), i'll probably just be a reader and responder from now on, unless i get digital footage of a detailed alien craft or being.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Skeptic Overlord,

In light of what you and your co-founders have done for us, I implore you to please be careful with your newly implemented rules. In no way am I saying to stop progress of ATS, but just to beware of potential "over restrictions" in the near future. Trying to achieve order out of chaos is great, but choices are limited in the process it seems. Maybe I am just paranoid. Maybe I am correct. All I ask is for you to listen. If you already knew this, then pretend I never wrote this post. Thanks.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I may have missed something. Will (or where will) there be a button to take us to the 'Firehose' list of threads in most recent order?

It may have been discussed, but other than SO's post where he announced it, I can't find the button, if there is one.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Sorry, sorry, I should read more carefully.

[edit on 23 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

here you go

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Now you can check the ATS news "firehose" for a quick one-page look at recently submitted news stories, sorted in order of recency, without needed to run a search:

www.abovetopsecret.com/firehose.html

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Oops

Button, Jack, button....

Sorry JSO, saw firehose and .....

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Update

The firehose thread link is also integrated into the submission form

Please review the News Forum Firehose for duplicate recent news topics before posting your submission below.

hope this helps..

ed:code

[edit on 4/23/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Just wondering how well this is working and whether members are actually using the new buttons.
Again there are multiple threads, with the same content, just posted in different forums.
Everyone wants to jump on the swine flu bandwagon, but it really is all the same topic..IMHO.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Nothing will change. It will just turn into people still posting the front pages from the MSM and making it alternative by saying that its full of masonic symbols

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join