It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Spies Breach Fighter-Jet Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Computer Spies Breach Fighter-Jet Project

online.wsj.com

WASHINGTON -- Computer spies have broken into the Pentagon's $300 billion Joint Strike Fighter project -- the Defense Department's costliest weapons program ever -- according to current and former government officials familiar with the attacks.

Similar incidents have also breached the Air Force's air-traffic-control system in recent months, these people say. In the case of the fighter-jet program, the intruders were able to copy and siphon off several terabytes of data related to design and electronics systems, officials say, potentially making it easier to defend against the craft.

The latest intrusions provide new evidence that a battle is heating up between the U.S. and potential adversaries over the data networks that tie the world together. The revelations follow a recent Wall Street Journal report that computers used to control the U.S. electrical-distribution system, as well as other infrastructure, have also been infiltrated by spies abroad.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Computer geeks are becoming the new James Bond. This is not the first time we are informed that computers containing sensitive data has been compromised but now we had more details. Is the fact that they got info about the US new plane scares you ?

Are the chinese or the russian guilty ? Is it again a lone, disturbed individual who wnated to have fun ? Why don't they try to release the info that was taken, why not ... i'm sure there would be good reading at the Pentagon

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

I can't understand how some of the supposedly most protected systems in the world are hacked like this, why are these machines connected to the net in the first place. Do top US officials actually understand how computers work, and how to type a password.
It reminds me of the supposed genius hacker Gary Mcinnion who managed to hack and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage from a dial up connection!
There seems to be a complete lack of common sense and understanding from the pentagon when it concerns hacking from foreign powers.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Kurokage]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

I know ... it's weird that these top secret info are on the net in the first place. I mean, should'nt the military have some kind of secure independant network ? Maybe they want this info to be hacked, could this be some kind of disinfo ? I can't believe that the stongest military can have its secret stolen like that.

My two cent for the network director at the Pentagon

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It is already discussed here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As Zaphod beat me to the news by an hour
and since he is way more knowledgeable about planes than I am, this thread should be closed and the discussion moved.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
you can have a thread in both BAN and in anotehr forum section;

but as i said there - they went for the mainanance system as it has access to the electronic suite rather than primary control systems

and a fix isn`t quick or cheap - take the leak for the radar frequency for the B-2 , the fix will run into millions if not billions and take at least 6 months.

new topics

top topics

join