It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatties cause global warming

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

Believe it or not, i've seen someone, actual multiple persons who have done just that, been kicked out of an all you can eat buffet, for eating well, too much.

I see people it and, it's really gross sometimes. I usually think to myself, do you really need that much to eat at one sitting, then have four more that day, while snacking.

I'm fit, everyday exceriser. BFP is 9-10 percent. And i'm just fine. Proper diet and excericise. Why do people think they don't need that anymore?

It's insanity to think you can not excericise your body (made up of muscles) then eat probably the worst food for you. Then think it's ok.

I assume it's the latency effect, it's not a "Now" threat, you won't eat a cheeseburger then suddenly gain 10 pounds! But it takes time, and they think it's something else not their habits.

Granted some can eat anything and not gain weight but, check in on their daily routines, otherwise, it'll catch up, it always does.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShoopDaWhoop

I totally agree with avatar.
(Except with the carbon tax, that sounds like discrimination
)

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ShoopDaWhoop]

You do know I was making a jab at Obama right? I do not believe in carbon taxes what so ever. More taxes = More theft of my money = More Slavery.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Your strawman is nonsense .

If your over-weight person did not drive and grew their own veg , they wouldn`t take long to lose some weight .

calories consumed / calories burned / stored fat .

Consume more than you burn and you will gain fatty deposits , its not rocket science.

Body fat % is a greater indicator of health rather than overall weight .

Please explain my strawman? Go ahead.

I was not referring to calorific intake/expenditure. I was referring to the title of the article. That being that overweight people are the cause of more pollution. So, my comparison of an overweight person who does everything they can to minimise their impact on the environment versus a skinny person who does nothing is valid. Your comments, however, lack any kind of argument other than "fat people are fat because they are lazy". This does not address the matter. It only adresses your opinion of those who are overweight, and not their impact on the environment.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

That does'nt sound like a whole lot , when you consider how that number is dwarfed by the size of the earth. They should have used, Kazillion or infinity.
And if you are still afraid of global warming then go plant a tree or ten. That will solve the problem and maybe create another new made-up problem.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShoopDaWhoop

1) Yes, you are right, but EVERYONE has a choice, and we all eat that junk during lunch break, dinner, breakfast, whatever. Why? Because it is more convenient then tediously finding items in the supermarket that are healthy, delicious, and not pumped full of crap.

Yes, as I said it is your choice. You could out of bed 15 minutes early, and pack a lunch instead of going to a fast food joint, after you have grocery shopped for the entire week at one time. So, are you using laziness as an excuse for obesity? That's just silly! And no, I don't eat that kind of food during the week! I would only eat at a fast food restaurant if I was forced to!

2)
you seriously think your food is perfectly safe just because you look carefully at the packaging? There is very little "Organic" food left out there..

That's why I shop at Whole foods. If you put some effort into it, you can still buy a lot of healthy food.

3) I think it's stupid that obese people would be treated differently when it comes to insurance, so I have nothing else to say here.

Well, it is a pre-existing condition. A lot of people with pre-existing conditions are not treated fairly.

4) It is Incredibly ignorant to say obesity comes from poor dietary choices. There are many causes for it, stress eating (Psychological), Genetics can predispose people to becoming obese, And society is partially to blame. (Let's not forget the brilliant minds behind fast food!)

I never said it was the only reason, so, get over it! It's a HUGE cause of it, though, for example because of your reasons for eating at fast food instead of not making healthy dietary choices. You used the excuse it's easier, so? Who's to blame for that reason towards obesity?

I am a stress eater, is it MY choice when my mind is filled with pressure, and eating is the only thing that succeeds in getting it out? Or would you rather have me going borderline insane because of the stress? That *has* happened to me.

I think that seriously, I will have to check into that disorder, because I have never heard of stress eating to be honest with you. Just perhaps could not eating healthy in the first place cause you to have problems with stress? Of course I'd like to see you be healthy and happy, if that makes a difference to you.

Even if I went on a diet of epic proportions, I would regain the weight eventually. Actually, most people seem to regain the weight they lose over time..

The reason most dieters gain the weight back is because they don't change their diet for life, they change it with only loosing weight in mind. Once they loose the weight, there goes the diet!

edit to fix quote

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Blanca Rose]

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AngelInterceptor

So say we have two neighbours. One is overweight and one is not. The overweight person recycles everything they can. They do not drive. They do not take oversease trips. They religiously turn off all the things they are not using. They grow their own vegs and buy local produce. The (what do you call a person who isn't overweight?) ideally weighted person does not recycle. They take a holiday overseas at least once a year. They drive regularly. They leave lights and everything else turned on all the time. They grow nothing and buy things regardless of whether they are local or from overseas. Who has a higher carbon footprint then?

You "loaded the dice" in favour of your overweight neighbour .

They might of also planted acres of forest .....

The reason i don`t read that newspaper, The Sun ,is because of such trashy headlines & stories.

However...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Scientists warned that the increase in big-eaters means more food production

That is not a quantum leap of deduction .

Overweight people are also more likely to drive

Again.

-------------------------------------------------------

Diet and exercise .

------------------------------------------------------

Here's a fun fact for you. My nutritionalist actually said that my "weight problem" is because I eat too little not too much. Yes, that's right. I eat little and my body thinks it is in a famine and therefore saves most of what I eat as fat. Should I eat more? Probably, but I'm NOT HUNGRY.

Now you didn`t gain the weight by eating too little ...... did you .
You are having trouble losing it ..... correct ?
Yes the body would sooner consume muscle mass and conserve fat reserves when you metabolism slows .
Many peoples weight lose is actually muscle & water ... not fat, especially when its approached from a purely dietary angle , neglecting exercise .

I`m sure your "nutritionalist" told you that already.

I agree with you BMI is not super accurate , but that is mostly because the individual has slabs of muscle hanging off them .

Body fat composition is a greater indicator of health than BMI .

Is nutritionist a protected title ?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Buuuut...... skinny people live longer than obese people and would therefore have a larger carbon footprint over the duration of their lives. So, the obese are actually greener thanks to their short life span, right?

Obesity is certainly a drag on society, based off of medical costs alone, but I don't think that we can really blame global warming on them.

Uhm...no, obese people consume more fuel, and more food, which has a multiplier effect...did you know if we just cut out 10% of our food consumption that it would be like taking every car off the road?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

So, they can only afford starchy food versus say, fruit? C'mon, prove it. They have a CHOICE, even if they are poor as to what to eat. Nobody is forcing them to eat food that only allows them to gain weight.

Here's your proof well.blogs.nytimes.com...

Why of course. That is why I read the package label on every item I buy at the store, so as to avoid those types of food.

Really ? Since when did they start placing ingredient labels on beef, chicken, pork, etc ? Are you really that ignorant to the fact of what is now put into these animals and then pased to humans ? Does your milk container list anything other than milk and vitamin d ? If it doesn't and you believe it, you may want to do a little research into what is really being passed to humans through the animal products they consume. Does your egg carton list the antibiotics that were given to the chickens ? Do you consume margarine because it's "healthier" than butter, if so you may want to research that a little. Are you able to tell how much plastic you are consuming through an ingredient label ?

If you say so! However, I am entitled to my opinion, even if you don't agree with it. I happen to think your attitude that people are forced to eat food that makes them gain weight, versus a peice of fruit is ignorant!

You are entitled to your opinion, just as i am mine. Mine happens to be that your blanket statement regarding all overwieght people ("a person who can't shut their pie hole") was cruel and callous and shows your true character. What i said was not "my attitude" but rather my theory based on research, that just happens to be backed up by quite a few professionals in the medical as well as other fields, there is no ignorance there. You may want to look up the definition of the word ignorant.

As a matter of fact, yes, I do. And for some of the other reasons you mention in addition to obesity. I had to select health plan coverage for an employer, and also explain to the employess why costs had gone up.

Really, would you care to show some proof of that preferably from said insurance company ?

For the answers I gave you above. Second hand smoke is bad, and so is poor dietary choices. Do you have a problem admitting that?

You have every right to have a problem with anybody that smokes in your presence, and ask them to refrain from doing so. However it stops there, you have no right to worry about what it does to them. For example if i'm a smoker as long as i don't force you to breath in my second hand smoke you have no right to concern yourself with what damage i do to my body. Poor dietary choices have ill effects on those that make them, but again that is no concern of yours. If you choose to lead a healthy lifestyle that's a good thing for you, but effects no one else except your family, just as if i choose to lead an unhealthy lifestyle it effects no one except me and my family.

When did I say I had a right to tell people what to eat? I have issues with bad choices, and that is my right!

"And to the person who asked about things like white bread, and all the other junk they listed being taxed, I think it's a great idea. You shouldn't be eating that kinda crap anyway!"

That's when you said that

That's where you're wrong, you have a right to have issues with bad choices that you or your family make, not with the bad choices that others make, especially if you having issues with their bad choices would lead you to attempt to infringe upon they're right to make their own choices.

Oh and this one,

Just like nobody forces a person to become a smoker, a drug addict, or an alcoholic. Personal responsibility is to blame, here.

Since when did alcoholism, or addiction become a choice?

Be careful up there, might be a long fall.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Unfortunately statistics prove that livestock is the leading producer of greenhouse gases behind man-made pollution. Methane is produce by the livestock feces. Methane is 25 times more potent as a greenhouse gas. So I am less worried about fat people. WE should start finding ways to use methane from feces as an energy source but that is off topic.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ewillett7

Like the other funny things that come from the government...

METHANE TAX.

"If this cow produces X amount of methane, how much more milk should it be forced to produce a year?"

And i'm not going to continue to argue with Blanca, sorry. D:

"Yes, those ads are unavoidable. However, I don't eat that crap, so, what is your point, here? There are also ads for other obnoxious things on television, does that mean people are forced to by them? Once again, personal responsibility!"

Except for this:

If you read up on what people take in on a daily basis, it won't surprise you why people make such good, plump sheep.

Besides the chemical stuff, we are bombarded with advertisements, biased media, convenience, and lies from when we're kids till the day we die. This society is an impatient one, that wants everything on a silver tray - so can you actually expect the vast majority of people to be different then this?

Yes, there are people like you that shop "organic", and seem to take responsibility for themselves.

(Organic isn't always Organic, by the way. The superamazinghealthy market that sells "organic" has risen to amazing profit, so you can expect it to be nothing more then a money-making label in a few years.)

How can sheep have personal responsibility, when they are trapped in a matrix... They even come with a false sense of freedom. They have very little actual control over their lives, because Big Business has such a hand in theirs. (This includes the fast food people that have a restaurant on almost every two blocks of my town)

It takes a truly strong and dedicated person to change themselves. It is expecting too much to think people will change so easily.

Now, if you had incentives, like being skinny giving you super powers, people would do it. Without something like that, don't expect much.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by ShoopDaWhoop]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ShoopDaWhoop

Haven't you heard they are trying to pass a methane gas tax, they want to make farmers pay about $175. per cow.

freedomeden.blogspot.com...

www.businessandmedia.org...

[edit on 4/22/2009 by chise61]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Here's your proof well.blogs.nytimes.com...

And this article says they are forced to buy crap? No, it doesn't. People still have a choice to purchase healthy foods. They do cost more, but they still have a choice.

Really ? Since when did they start placing ingredient labels on beef, chicken, pork, etc ? Are you really that ignorant to the fact of what is now put into these animals and then pased to humans ? Does your milk container list anything other than milk and vitamin d ? If it doesn't and you believe it, you may want to do a little research into what is really being passed to humans through the animal products they consume. Does your egg carton list the antibiotics that were given to the chickens ? Do you consume margarine because it's "healthier" than butter, if so you may want to research that a little. Are you able to tell how much plastic you are consuming through an ingredient label ?

I don't eat beef, chicken and pork. I don't eat shellfish, either, however if somebody in my family wants those items, I purchase them at Whole Foods, who supplies free range meats. Why, because I do know what goes into feed for these animals. I have several relatives that are dairy farmers, and I wont even drink milk because I do know what they feed them! I don't eat eggs, unless they are free range, also. No, I don't use margarin. Any other questions about my diet you'd like to know?

You are entitled to your opinion, just as i am mine. Mine happens to be that your blanket statement regarding all overwieght people ("a person who can't shut their pie hole") was cruel and callous and shows your true character.

My character is to tell the truth. Sometimes it's painful, I know!

What i said was not "my attitude" but rather my theory based on research, that just happens to be backed up by quite a few professionals in the medical as well as other fields, there is no ignorance there. You may want to look up the definition of the word ignorant.

My comments are made on personal experience based on the farming industry, and working in the medical field. They are not just theories.

Really, would you care to show some proof of that preferably from said insurance company ?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I took early retirement from that company to persue other interests. Also, that would entail personal information which I am not willing to give to you.

You have every right to have a problem with anybody that smokes in your presence, and ask them to refrain from doing so. However it stops there, you have no right to worry about what it does to them.

Sorry to disagree, but if my tax dollars go to pay for a person on medicaid who is smoking and needs medical attention because of the smoking, it sure is my business! Same goes for increased medical expenses due to insurance companies having to cover people for the same reasons. The costs are passed on to all members, even the healthy ones.

Poor dietary choices have ill effects on those that make them, but again that is no concern of yours. If you choose to lead a healthy lifestyle that's a good thing for you, but effects no one else except your family, just as if i choose to lead an unhealthy lifestyle it effects no one except me and my family.

Once again, if an obese person is on medicaid, and my tax dollars are going to pay for their illnesses caused by obesity, it is my business. And once again for increased health insurance premiums. Why should I have to pay more, to cover people who have poor eating habits?

That's where you're wrong, you have a right to have issues with bad choices that you or your family make, not with the bad choices that others make, especially if you having issues with their bad choices would lead you to attempt to infringe upon they're right to make their own choices.

Once again, if these people are on medicaid, and are getting my tax dollars, it is my business. If they are on my health plan, and use benefits all the time because of their obesity, causing my premiums, and deductibles to go up, it is my business.

Oh and this one,

Just like nobody forces a person to become a smoker, a drug addict, or an alcoholic. Personal responsibility is to blame, here.

Since when did alcoholism, or addiction become a choice?

From the first drink, or the first dose!

Be careful up there, might be a long fall.

I'm pretty down to earth, but thank you for caring!

edit to fix quote

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

....Facepalm

Honestly?

It's stupid laws like these that need to be thrown the hell out of the government.

Work toward finding *SOLUTIONS* instead of trying to rob everyone of their hard-earned money.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ShoopDaWhoop

Yes honestly, and the gov. of New York tried to pass an "obesity tax" on non diet soda.

www.nydailynews.com...

It's amaxing what these politicians will do to "help us" they are just sooo concerned about our health

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

im all for taxing the morbidly obese ~(thats who im aiming this at btw, not the average person who is a few lbs over weight, just the morbidly obese ppl) , they expect society to cater for their sickening size , they expect the nhs to cater for them health wise, so why souldnt they pay a bit more ... noones fault but their own.

boabys rant is now over.

You know they are right?.... I am not obese, nor fat, but I find your statements to be nothing more than another form of racist slant against a group of people you don't like.

You need to see a shrink, that's what you, and those who voted for you, and think like you need.

This is nothing more than BS...

This is like the claim from the racist, bigot of a scientist who rigged his tests to claim black people are less intelligent than white people...

This is what is in great part the problem with the world today.

Some idiot doesn't like a group of people, and makes up claims to belittle, insult, bash away, and even try to "tax" people who this idiot, or group of idiots, don't like...

Haven't you all realized by now that there are groups of people, and factions that want to do this just for the sake of "hating" a group, or race, or a culture different than this idiot, and his band of idiots?

[edit on 22-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

And this article says they are forced to buy crap? No, it doesn't. People still have a choice to purchase healthy foods. They do cost more, but they still have a choice.

That's not a choice when you are given the option only to eat, or do what other people want, and not what you want...

Why do you want to impose your ideals on other people?....

Let people choose what they want instead of trying to make them a mirror image of yourself...

I can't believe some of the things members are saying...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

No the article says this....

"Calorie for calorie, junk foods not only cost less than fruits and vegetables, but junk food prices also are less likely to rise as a result of inflation. The findings, reported in the current issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, may help explain why the highest rates of obesity are seen among people in lower-income groups"

And this...

"Although people don’t knowingly shop for calories per se, the data show that it’s easier for low-income people to sustain themselves on junk food rather than fruits and vegetables, says the study’s lead author Adam Drewnowski, director of the center for public health nutrition at the University of Washington. Based on his findings, a 2,000-calorie diet would cost just $3.52 a day if it consisted of junk food, compared with $36.32 a day for a diet of low-energy dense foods."

And this..

“If you have $3 to feed yourself, your choices gravitate toward foods which give you the most calories per dollar,’’ said Dr. Drewnowski. “Not only are the empty calories cheaper, but the healthy foods are becoming more and more expensive. Vegetables and fruits are rapidly becoming luxury goods.”

Good old fashioned common sense tells you the rest. Low income people don't have the luxury of eating healthy. How much healthy food do you think you could buy at whole foods with $15-$20 a week ? And remember that's gotta buy 2-3 meals a day for 7 days.

I don't eat beef, chicken and pork. I don't eat shellfish, either, however if somebody in my family wants those items, I purchase them at Whole Foods, who supplies free range meats. Why, because I do know what goes into feed for these animals. I have several relatives that are dairy farmers, and I wont even drink milk because I do know what they feed them! I don't eat eggs, unless they are free range, also. No, I don't use margarin. Any other questions about my diet you'd like to know?

As i've already stated low income do not have the luxury of shopping at Whole foods and purchacing free range meat and organic foods, they can barely afford the chemically injected foods, that you admit are not good for you. I wasn't enquiring about your diet, and you know it, it was to point out just how many foods are unsafe for humans to eat now. And are you able to tell how much plastic you are ingesting from an ingredient label ?

My character is to tell the truth. Sometimes it's painful, I know!

That statement was not truthful, as it is not a fact that all overwieght people are overwieght due to overeating, and that shows your ignorance on this subject. That statement was simply mean spirited, and meant to be hurtful to those you don't even know. Wasn't painful to me, doesn't apply to me. Hopefully you are just as painfully truthful with and about yourself.

My comments are made on personal experience based on the farming industry, and working in the medical field. They are not just theories.

Really, so your experience working in the medical field is proof that all overwieght people are overwieght because they "can't shut their pieholes" ? And that low income people choose to eat food that is slowly killing them ? But hey maybe you're right maybe they should purchase the one or two healthy meals that they can afford, this way they can die from malnurishment fatser, just to please you.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I took early retirement from that company to persue other interests. Also, that would entail personal information which I am not willing to give to you.

Nice sidestep. No it wouldn't entail any personal information, as the person that had to explain to the employees why their insurance rates and deductables went up, you must have received a letter from the insurance agency stating the reasons and there would be no personal information in such a letter. Credibility is of no importance here.

Sorry to disagree, but if my tax dollars go to pay for a person on medicaid who is smoking and needs medical attention because of the smoking, it sure is my business! Same goes for increased medical expenses due to insurance companies having to cover people for the same reasons. The costs are passed on to all members, even the healthy ones.

That may be true with people on public aide, however it is not true with people who are not, if you are not helping to pay for their medical coverage it's none of your business. If your insurance costs do not rise due to a smokers habits then their habits are none of your business. Ex. If i smoke my habits are none of your busines because my smoking does not effect your insurance rates.

Once again, if an obese person is on medicaid, and my tax dollars are going to pay for their illnesses caused by obesity, it is my business. And once again for increased health insurance premiums. Why should I have to pay more, to cover people who have poor eating habits?

Once again if an obese person is not on public aide and your tax dollars are not paying for their medical care it doesn't effect you, none of your business. And once again for increased health insurance premium, do you have any credible proof that they were raised due to people's poor eating habits, did you receive a memo from your insurance company stating that ? Hey why should you have to pay more, to cover people with cancer, or that are depressed, or that have MS, MD, parkinsons, etc, but yet you seem so focused on the obese ?

Once again, if these people are on medicaid, and are getting my tax dollars, it is my business. If they are on my health plan, and use benefits all the time because of their obesity, causing my premiums, and deductibles to go up, it is my business.

Once again if they are not, it is not your business.

From the first drink, or the first dose!

And you worked in the medical field ? No it's not a choice, it's inherent, in their genes. But i suppose in your world people just wake up one day and decide oh i want to become an alcoholic today and just start drinking their life away.

You'd have to come down to it first.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Add to all this the fact that some are over gorging and eating those extra unnecessary meals that some starving kid in some messed up nation could have benefited from instead and ya got some pretty good reasons there to be upset with the excessive ones.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Oh you can believe it, i've seen them say worse. They had a thread like this last year. The overwieght people of this world have become the whipping boy for the whole world. Some of those that are not overwieght think themselves mighty superior to them. It's so politically incorrect to badmouth a minority, a certain sex, a religion, a culture, sexual orientation, etc, but discuss overwieght people and it's a free for all, no holds barred. You want to see a person's true character, start a discussion about overwieght people, it's sickening. I'm done with this thread

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I would like to see proof of this. Many not so obese people use up quite of bit of resources themselves, why point the finger toward the obese. I've seen athletes consume a lot more than most considered excessively overweight.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join