It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatties cause global warming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

This is all a conspiracy by those scientists. Actually, when they do lab tests using bunson burners, they are heating up the atmosphere, and that is the sole cause of global warming. Ever heard of intellectual intimidation?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I thought cows have been to blame for global warming? Right they can't slaughter the cows because animal rights groups would lynch and burn them. So we go after the fatties cause everyone hates fat people! And they even got the animal rights people on their side cause them fatties eat animals!
This really makes me sick. They are going too far now. Yes there are fat people in the world, so what. I'm not bothered by them, they don't bother me, and contrary to belief, they don't actually run up hosptial bills, medical costs do. Being in the medical field myself, I can assure you that "fatties" aren't the bulk of the patients. No pun intended.

To say this, obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm someone who stays in pretty decent shape, and would even be considered a workout fanatic, but that doesn't mean I look down at people for being big. I can find humor in this though, I just called up some friends of mine that are fat and joked with them about this. They find it funny too, but still insulting. Also, I thought the term was changed to climate change? I'm also pretty sure that we'll kill ourselves off before we could ever actually warm the planet up.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You know something, the fact that some scientists came to the conclusion that obesity is directly related to global warming and climate change is truly not surprising, or for that matter, all too scary. Hell, when you think about it, almost ANYTHING, any production, any service, any goods bought and sold can in one way or another be attributed to Global Warming and Climate change somehow.

The truly scary, disturbing, and mind boggling thing is, the people whom (even posters in this thread) actually buy into it AND who don't see the greater picture of WHY this is disturbing.

I agree obesity can be a problem.

I agree that HealthCare should NOT have to be paid for by those that it doesn't affect.

I agree that moderation in just about everything is something that is in order.

But to what lengths must our nation go to to insure 3 simple things:
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Within those 3 simple things are even the pursuit of becoming a "fatty" if that is tantamount to happiness for them.

I mean seriously, what could be next? Think about it...you don't sleep enough, boom, you're adding to the carbon footprint and NOW we (big brother) needs to formulate a way to tax under-sleepers??

Come on people, I have to believe we're actually better than this, that we believe more in our hearts the American way of life...If not, seriously, the last thing that should bother us is our longevity based upon our weights or the ensuing health care necessary to solidify that....it will be shortchanged for us anyway.

AB1

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Not all overwieght people are overwieght due to an illness, nor are they all overwieght due to not being able to ("shut their pie hole":@@

There are many people that are overwieght due to their income. Some low income people can barely afford to eat two meals daily, some only one and the food that they can afford to eat are the types of food that can cause people to gain wieght. Also for those that can only afford to eat once or twice a day, it has been proven that when people eat like this their body thinks they are starving and reacts to this by slowing down their metabolism, causing them to gain wieght. So no not all overwieght people are that way because they can't "shut their pie hole"

Did you (or any of those like you that choose to vilify the overwieght) ever give any thought to the fact that the significant rise in obesity may have more to do with the additives that are put into almost every food that is eaten ? That maybe the problem has more to do with human growth hormones and the like being introduced to the food supply, than it does with overeating? Maybe these additives affect certain people to a higher extent than it does others. Children and teenagers have the highest amount of human growth hormone, and they can eat constanly it's like they're constantly hungry, so maybe some overwieght adults that do overeat do so because of the effects of human growth hormone in their food.

To make a blanket statement and catagorize all overwieght people as not being able to "shut their pie holes" is not only callous, but also ignorant.

Do you know for a fact that your insurance deductable, or the cost of your coverage will or has increased to pay for overwieght people ? Maybe your costs will go up because of smokers who may have more health problems, or people that drink alcohol because they may have more health problems or accidents, or asthmatics that may have more health problems, or people that take anti depressants that may attempt suicide, diabetics, people with heart conditions, MS, MD, cystic fibrosis, parkinsons, etc, will all of these people be on your hit list also ?

You have a problem with people that are overwieght or don't stop smoking, why ????? Does their behavior somehow directly affect you ? Who are you to say what people should or shouldn't put in their mouths, or their lungs, what gives you the authority to say when or how often people should eat pizza or cheseburgers,etc, if people should smoke or not ?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
Nice. Maybe Obama can start placing carbon taxes on fat people.

We live in a society where we produce unhealthy, processed foods, with tons of pesticides coupled with 150 channels in HD and then as a society we complain there are fat people and blame global warming on them.

While I do believe in the end the individual is responsible for their own weight, health, and lifestyle, maybe if there wasn't a McDonald's, Whataburger, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Jack in the Box, KFC, and Wendy's all on the same corner every 2 or 3 blocks, it might help out a bit.

So who do you blame? McDonald's for raising enough cows (along with their methane farts) for a billion fatty burgers or the masses of people who are willing to buy the billion fatty burgers and greasy french fries?

Either way in the grand scheme of things as inefficient as living such a lifestyle is from the point of view of the forest, this argument that fat people's large quantity of foods contributing to global warming in a significant way is just ridiculous.

The Nazis scapegoated problems on the Jews... To scapegoat these people with Global Warming?? Not trying to be paranoid AT ALL, but if you see MSM start following the trend of Global Warming = Fat people, start losing weight.

I totally agree with avatar.
(Except with the carbon tax, that sounds like discrimination
)

And DAMN some of you people. We are here to DENY IGNORANCE, not promote it. Just because you've had a few run-in's with obese people does not make them some scum of the earth.

I think we all know who the TRUE scum are.

This includes the poster below me..

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ShoopDaWhoop]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Not all overwieght people are overwieght due to an illness, nor are they all overwieght due to not being able to ("shut their pie hole":@@

There are many people that are overwieght due to their income. Some low income people can barely afford to eat two meals daily, some only one and the food that they can afford to eat are the types of food that can cause people to gain wieght.

So, they can only afford starchy food versus say, fruit? C'mon, prove it. They have a CHOICE, even if they are poor as to what to eat. Nobody is forcing them to eat food that only allows them to gain weight.

Did you (or any of those like you that choose to vilify the overwieght) ever give any thought to the fact that the significant rise in obesity may have more to do with the additives that are put into almost every food that is eaten ?

Why of course. That is why I read the package label on every item I buy at the store, so as to avoid those types of food.

To make a blanket statement and catagorize all overwieght people as not being able to "shut their pie holes" is not only callous, but also ignorant.

If you say so! However, I am entitled to my opinion, even if you don't agree with it. I happen to think your attitude that people are forced to eat food that makes them gain weight, versus a peice of fruit is ignorant!

Do you know for a fact that your insurance deductable, or the cost of your coverage will or has increased to pay for overwieght people ?

As a matter of fact, yes, I do. And for some of the other reasons you mention in addition to obesity. I had to select health plan coverage for an employer, and also explain to the employess why costs had gone up.

You have a problem with people that are overwieght or don't stop smoking, why ????? Does their behavior somehow directly affect you ? Who are you to say what people should or shouldn't put in their mouths, or their lungs, what gives you the authority to say when or how often people should eat pizza or cheseburgers,etc, if people should smoke or not ?

For the answers I gave you above. Second hand smoke is bad, and so is poor dietary choices. Do you have a problem admitting that?

When did I say I had a right to tell people what to eat? I have issues with bad choices, and that is my right!

edit to fix quote

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Beware of anytime a single group is targeted. For, next time that group could be the one you are in.

Black, white, old, young, thin, fat, male, female, etc.

See a person with your heart and not your mind.

Look beyond the flesh and try and judge a entity by his/her true being vs "the package" they come wrapped in.

We all have addictions of one type or another.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

So, they can only afford starchy food versus say, fruit? C'mon, prove it. They have a CHOICE, even if they are poor as to what to eat. Nobody is forcing them to eat food that only allows them to gain weight.

Why of course. That is why I read the package label on every item I buy at the store, so as to avoid those types of food.

If you say so! However, I am entitled to my opinion, even if you don't agree with it. I happen to think your attitude that people are forced to eat food that makes them gain weight, versus a peice of fruit is ignorant!

As a matter of fact, yes, I do. And for some of the other reasons you mention in addition to obesity. I had to select health plan coverage for an employer, and also explain to the employess why costs had gone up.

For the answers I gave you above. Second hand smoke is bad, and so is poor dietary choices. Do you have a problem admitting that?

When did I say I had a right to tell people what to eat? I have issues with bad choices, and that is my right!

edit to fix quote

1) Yes, you are right, but EVERYONE has a choice, and we all eat that junk during lunch break, dinner, breakfast, whatever. Why? Because it is more convenient then tediously finding items in the supermarket that are healthy, delicious, and not pumped full of crap.

2)
you seriously think your food is perfectly safe just because you look carefully at the packaging? There is very little "Organic" food left out there..

3) I think it's stupid that obese people would be treated differently when it comes to insurance, so I have nothing else to say here.

4) It is Incredibly ignorant to say obesity comes from poor dietary choices. There are many causes for it, stress eating (Psychological), Genetics can predispose people to becoming obese, And society is partially to blame. (Let's not forget the brilliant minds behind fast food!)

I am a stress eater, is it MY choice when my mind is filled with pressure, and eating is the only thing that succeeds in getting it out? Or would you rather have me going borderline insane because of the stress? That *has* happened to me.

Almost everyone in my family is genetically predisposed to being obese, and it seems I've been unlucky enough to get those genes.

Even if I went on a diet of epic proportions, I would regain the weight eventually. Actually, most people seem to regain the weight they lose over time..

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So say we have two neighbours. One is overweight and one is not.

The overweight person recycles everything they can. They do not drive. They do not take oversease trips. They religiously turn off all the things they are not using. They grow their own vegs and buy local produce.

The (what do you call a person who isn't overweight?) ideally weighted person does not recycle. They take a holiday overseas at least once a year. They drive regularly. They leave lights and everything else turned on all the time. They grow nothing and buy things regardless of whether they are local or from overseas.

Who has a higher carbon footprint then?

And don't even get me started on the supposed right weight for people.

I'm not "overweight" because I eat burgers and fries every day (which I don't), nor because I'm "too lazy too get off my ass" (which I'm not). I'm not "overweight" because I eat badly. I'm "overweight" because some government watchdog decided to set a limit about what weight is acceptable.

Here's a fun fact for you. My nutritionalist actually said that my "weight problem" is because I eat too little not too much. Yes, that's right. I eat little and my body thinks it is in a famine and therefore saves most of what I eat as fat.

Should I eat more? Probably, but I'm NOT HUNGRY.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Personally I hate fat people, any contact I have with them is unpleasent and makes my life more miserable.

If I have to sit next to one on the bus/subway - they stink and take up part of my seat.

If I have to be at a meal with one, they eat too much and are unpleasent to watch as they stuff their faces.

If I am drunk in a bar, fat girls coming up-to me makes for a very uncomfortable situation. I don't want to be nasty to them but I'm forced to unless I wanna have to sleep with them.

Fat people are wearing out the sidewalks more due to their heavier weight costing the tax payer more money.

Fat people make nightclubs, bars, shopping malls more crowded as they are too big.

They make me feel sick when I have to look at their uncovered bodies in swim pools, beaches and gyms.

And now they are also killing the planet....

Geees when will they stop. Kill 'em all I say. 'Fat camps' just took on a whole new meaning.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AngelInterceptor

I'm not "overweight" because I eat burgers and fries every day (which I don't), nor because I'm "too lazy too get off my ass" (which I'm not). I'm not "overweight" because I eat badly. I'm "overweight" because some government watchdog decided to set a limit about what weight is acceptable.

Here's a fun fact for you. My nutritionalist actually said that my "weight problem" is because I eat too little not too much. Yes, that's right. I eat little and my body thinks it is in a famine and therefore saves most of what I eat as fat.

Oh please - they all have excuses. Fact is if you spend an hour a day in the gym, you will lose weight.

Do it please for all our sakes - you are killing the planet with your vile emissions.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
So say we have two neighbours. One is overweight and one is not.

The overweight person recycles everything they can. They do not drive. They do not take oversease trips. They religiously turn off all the things they are not using. They grow their own vegs and buy local produce.

Your strawman is nonsense .

If your over-weight person did not drive and grew their own veg , they wouldn`t take long to lose some weight .

calories consumed / calories burned / stored fat .

Consume more than you burn and you will gain fatty deposits , its not rocket science.

Body fat % is a greater indicator of health rather than overall weight .

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Never laughed so hard in my entire life.

I have no idea what to say about this, i'm completely stunned.

Whatever I say, it'll either be Offensive, or Pro-obesity and poor health. Damned if I do Damned if I don't, well I won't so i'm not damned.

God, I needed this today! It was an okay day, now it's just that much better.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Exactly. They determine the "ideal weight" by measuring a persons BMI, or body mass index. I'm providing a link that gives a basic explaination of what it is and a chart for determining what is considered underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese. Basically your body fat is determined by your height and weight. I'll use myself as an example, and I hope this doesn't sound like a singles ad from a newspaper to much, but I'm 5'6 and I weigh 185lbs. I have an athletic build, I work out consistantly by liting weights, running, martial arts, I have a very noticable six pack, and I eat fairly well I don't do anything special with diet and I don't say no completely to junk food. Want to know what my BMI is? 29.9. So according to this calculator from the link I provided, I'm at the far end of overweight and need one more percent to go to be considered "obese".

I have read that many determined "ideal" bodyweight by BMI. It's ridiculous. And in order for me to be considered in the "normal" weight range, I would have to lose 45 lbs! I didn't like weighing 140lbs years ago, I felt weak and tired all the time. I feel comfortable at this weight, but i would be labeled as obese according to this thing? I guess the ideal body is supposed to be pencil thin like a fashion model. I hate it when so called "experts" and "leading authorities" seem to think they know whats best for us. Every person's body is different, there's no such as a universal way for everyone. You mention that your nutritionist trying to get you to eat more. I don't usually have any problems with them, cause most of the time they can give good advice, but also many of them fall into the "knowing whats best for you" attitude. Some forget what works for a lot of people, can be different for others. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. If you are hungry, then eat! It's so simple!

But judging people by this way is wrong. I even read up, I believe it was in England that a couple couldn't adopt because their BMI was too high! It's no wonder why they let people think theres some sort of fat epidemic going on, they are looking at numbers and not people. So I guess if they go by a person BMI, we are all causing global warning. Bring out the beans!

Link to BMI Calculater
www.nhlbisupport.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Man, some people just destroy my hope in thinking the human race will one day become better then it is now.

One day it'll be thin people that are destroying the world somehow, because they spend too little money~! Oh wait, No, it's vegetarians! OH MAN... Now it's smart people, because they don't agree with the ignorant masses!

"Did you hear about how those damn vegans? They eat so much organic food, they live long enough to cause huge pollution?"

"Man, we need less vegans"

Let's try to DENY IGNORANCE people. Ignorance is what got 6 Million innocent people killed by a madman, and even more killed in the horrible wars in history.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If they are so concerned about fatties being the cause of global warming, why not TAX THE COMPANIES who make junk food INSTEAD OF THE CONSUMER?
Then maybe they'll stop making junk food and start using healthy ingredients and making healthy products to avoid paying the extra tax.

Tax companies by the pound of fat they use in their products.

Oh but then, I forgot, this isn't about global warming or health, it's about scrounging more tax money off people who are getting poorer by the day.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Not to mention all that methane they released caused by those darn bean burritos.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by MegaBears]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Watch for food rationing for overweight people and there will be weight limit Police. Watch resturants that serve all you can eat to be given citations if someone eats to much at one sitting. The food patrol is coming as well as the weight limit police. Remember this is the obama administration where anything can happen. Expect the unexpected.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Sounds like they are saying this to justify some new tax on fatty foods. Certainly wouldn't put it past them. "Global Warming" is always an excuse to either raise a tax, limit a freedom, or both.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag

Oh please - they all have excuses. Fact is if you spend an hour a day in the gym, you will lose weight.

Do it please for all our sakes - you are killing the planet with your vile emissions.

I facepalm for you.

I spend an hour a day either in the gym or the pool. Except for Sundays, because, I'll admit it, I like to have a day of rest.

You are just the example of people completely ignorant, judging those who eat and exercise properly and yet do not conform to what you consider to be slim. Maybe you should put down those magazines for a second.

If you looked at even a basic scientific paper you would know that I am speaking the truth.

What, you think all those people starving in Africa with pot bellies are actually secretly stuffing back the macd's?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join